PDA

View Full Version : First Multi-Engine Helicopter Type Rating

Vertolot
1st Apr 2008, 11:28
Hi,

Regarding to JAR-FCL 2.255 (a) ammendment 4:

Pre-requisite conditions for training:
An applicant for the issue of a first multi-engine helicopter shall:

(a) hold a certificate of satisfactory completion of a pre-entry approvad course in accordance with Appendix 1 to JAR-FCL 2.255...

So, an holder of an JAR CPL-H has to completed above mentioned course before being able to get his first multi-engine type rating. Do anybody know where/or if there is in Europe this kind of course is available??

Vertolot

paco
1st Apr 2008, 11:42
If you are a CPL(H) holder, you are exempt such a course, but you need one if you are a PPL(H) holder. PM me if you want more details.

It is not a type rating specific course.

Phil

thwock
2nd Feb 2010, 08:13
Do you still need 70 hrs PIC before you can take your first Multi engine type rating....
Thanks

rotarywise
2nd Feb 2010, 09:53
If you are a CPL(H) holder, you are exempt such a course, but you need one if you are a PPL(H) holder.
Not quite. As I understand it, AIC 72/2007 implemented some elements of Amendment 4 to JAR-FCL 2, including JAR-FCL 2.255. This states that exemption from the approved pre-entry course is available only to applicants who have passed the ATPL(H) theoretical knowledge exams. This is logical as the associated AMC states that the content of the pre-entry course is at ATPL(H) level.

You have never needed 70 hours PIC for multi-engine - that is a requirement for a first multi-pilot type rating

VeeAny
2nd Feb 2010, 10:17
Funnily enough I was asked about this exact scenario, this morning.

My comments apply to UK Only,

The AIC 72/2007 implements some parts of Amendment 6 not Amendment 4.
We are still on Amdt 3 in the UK with some paras of Amdt 6 incorporated and 2.255 is one of the Amdt 6 ones.

2.255 Relates to single pilot multi engine helicopter type ratings.

You need a pre entry course completion certificate, or to be a holder of ATPL Theory Credits in accordance with 2.470(a) [This is a change from Amdt 3 which required only CPL(H) credits]

70hrs PIC time on helicopters or to be the graduate of an INTEGRATED cpl/ir or atpl or atpl/ir for helicopters. [This is a change from amendment 3 which required 70hrs P1 regardless).

The 70 hours P1 requirement has been in since at least Amdt 3, so quite a long time, there is just now a dispensation for some integrated course graduates.

Thats what the current regs say today anyway, I am sure PACO will have his finger more closely on the pulse than I do, he is the only one I know of with the approval in the UK.

It is possible that the UK CAA have decided to implement only some bits of this, but according what is published thats how it stands.

There was an ORS issued last year along the same lines as the AIC that refers to this but it only seemed to change things for IR holders from memory.

212man
2nd Feb 2010, 10:18
You have never needed 70 hours PIC for multi-engine

Really?

for an applicant who has not satisfactorily followed and completed an integrated flying training course as ATPL(H)/IR; ATPL(H) or CPL(H)/IR, have completed at least 70 hours as pilot-in-command of helicopters.

From 2.255 and LASORS.

Ah - I see Vne beat me too it!

Heli-Ice
2nd Feb 2010, 12:56
VeeAny

You are spot on. We have the same requirements for the first ME type rating here in Iceland since we are running on Amd. 6.

paco
2nd Feb 2010, 14:33
'sfunny, but having an ATPL does not give you the real knowledge you need to fly twins.

Thanks for the correction on the CPL(H) - it's hard to keep up with everything!

phil

rotarywise
2nd Feb 2010, 14:44
Ooops - quite right, 70hrs PIC is still a requirement. Sorry about that, I must have been dreaming! However, unless you have passed the ATPL(H) exams, you will need the approved pre-entry course and there are not many of them about - only one in the UK at the last count.

Heli-Ice
2nd Feb 2010, 14:47
Does any of you like to share the e-mail at the UK CAA where one can direct the most complicated questions about pilot licensing?

helimutt
2nd Feb 2010, 16:19
[email protected] ???

Heli-Ice
2nd Feb 2010, 16:54
helimutt

Fank you vevy mats :-)

Captino
7th Feb 2013, 12:26
Hey Chaps,

got a quick question about the second Type rating MEH.

If ya got a Twin (single Pilot) already in your license, how much flying needs to be done on your second MEH TR.

I always thought 1st MEH 8 hours and on the 2nd one 5 hours.

Is that correct or is it 3 hours of flying???

Cheers

Captino
7th Feb 2013, 13:26
never mind guys, I found it myself. its 3 hours.

Its Annex 1 to 2.261(b)