PDA

View Full Version : Is the Etihad Airways Cadet Programme for non nationals too?

dingdongbubble
1st Apr 2008, 09:28
Hello

I was pleasantly surprised to find out that in the Qualifications section I did not find any UAE Nationality requirements. See:

Qualifications: Etihad is an equal opportunities employer and encourages both male and female applicants to apply. Candidates should be:
• between 18-26 years old
• medically fit to fly
• accredited secondary school diploma or higher with proven pass grades in Physics, Mathematics and English

Can someone confirm whether or not you have to be a UAE national to get accepted into this Cadet Pilot Program?

Secondly whats the difference between a Cadet Pilot Scheme and an ab intio program?

Lastly when you get your CPL, you barely have 300 flight hours. For the ATPL you need 1500 flight hours as far as I know. So what would Etihad do with pilots with only 300 flight hours? Does it actually pay for the hour building to 1500 hours?:eek:

I apologize if this has been asked before but I am just so excited. any information about this Cadet Pilot program would be highly appreciated.

matt_hooks
1st Apr 2008, 10:13
The frozen ATPL allows you to fly right hand seat, co-pilot, first officer, whatever you wish to call it. So you'll fly the line to build the hours for the ATPL issue.

dingdongbubble
1st Apr 2008, 10:21
You dont need an ATPL to be a First Officer? :eek: coool...

Fancy flying a wide body jet plane right after a propeller plane.:ooh:

AvEnthusiast
1st Apr 2008, 10:36
Yeah, it's a global cadetship program, so applicants can be from any nationality.

And according to me, I think ab-initio is a term deriven from latin which only means the begining of something, the early stages, and an ab-initio prgram can be selfsponsored or ... but cadet I think mostly refers to a bonded term means if you begin the the future is bonded as the word is mostly used in military so you might understand that you are more limitations if you join then you have to make it.

Your last query made me think of it either. But I think then will provide some kind of line training or let you fly as second officer until you gain the required hours or let's see what others think of it.

Ste88
1st Apr 2008, 10:41
No it's not correct...

see above

http://careers.etihadairways.com/ehire/english/GraduateMgmt/NationalJobList.aspx

dingdongbubble
1st Apr 2008, 11:12
The UAE national cadet program says that you should be between 18-30 years old. Whereas the other one says you should be between 18-26 years old. :ugh:

link_142
1st Apr 2008, 11:20
its not a global program, its only for nationals

AvEnthusiast
1st Apr 2008, 11:21
Dears,

Don't worry it's global. Etihad itself and even UAE embassy has clearly stated that. It's published by reputalbe orgranizations.

www.etihadairways.com/etihadairways/global/en/aboutetihad/cadetpilot.htm (http://www.etihadairways.com/etihadairways/global/en/aboutetihad/cadetpilot.htm)

dingdongbubble
1st Apr 2008, 11:30
Well it doesnt talk about nationality. :{

Anyways do you think they would allow me to join if I had only about 4 months left to become 18? I could start the real aircraft training once I am 18 and do only theory stuff while I am 17?

JugglingSpence
1st Apr 2008, 11:46
From what I've seen it looks like there might be two schemes, the link below has a lot more details and does not mention nationality (well, I didn't notice it as I skimmed through).

http://careers.etihadairways.com/ehire/english/careers/jobDetails.aspx

Spence.

l_kc
1st Apr 2008, 20:48
Flight international mentioned a few weeks back, that Etihad were introducing a cadet programme for non nationals. There will be more about it, in the April 8th issue.
So i think this is what they were on about:)

BerksFlyer
1st Apr 2008, 21:21
I always though they would need to widen their horizons to satisfy their future pilot needs. Good news.

AvEnthusiast
2nd Apr 2008, 08:33
Hey Guys, Calm down and read carefully. the link I have pasted directs you to etihad website where the las two words of the descriptive paragraph jus above Eligiblity clearly says "any Nationality".

dingdongbubble
2nd Apr 2008, 09:04
wooohooo :\

thank you thank you thank you......

Do you think this will still be there a couple of years later?

cadet_hani
5th Apr 2008, 20:31
Has anyone applied for etihad cadet pilot programme ?

AvEnthusiast
6th Apr 2008, 09:54
Hey Hani,

What are you tryng to grab?

Lentäjä
9th Apr 2008, 20:18
Etihad has two cadet pilot programme, one for UAE citizens and one for all nationalities.

121ace
10th Apr 2008, 16:02
Hi,
I just applied to it but I've heard that there are infact 24 places as oppose to the 12 it says, 12 for June 2008 and then 12 for December 2008 as well, can anyone confirm thuis?

shuchim
11th Apr 2008, 01:29
pls tell how to fill that form it have mandatory to tell your fling hrs and emplkoyers and i dont have any any also at no of childeren having u cant fill 0 child .pls tell how to fill that all mandoty things?

121ace
11th Apr 2008, 19:22
Has anyone actually received a reply from Etihad yet?

ZaaZoo
12th Apr 2008, 08:23
I have not, but I do have flight training.

link_142
12th Apr 2008, 12:37
they dont give much away do they......:cool:

ZaaZoo
12th Apr 2008, 12:52
they dont give much away do they......:cool:

Explain...im sure thats a sarcastic comment....

link_142
12th Apr 2008, 13:21
what else can it be? :p

121ace
12th Apr 2008, 15:38
Everyone who has applied to the Etihad Cadet Programme, care to state your age ,location and qualifications?

link_142
12th Apr 2008, 17:20
erm may i ask why.....? :confused:

121ace
12th Apr 2008, 18:00
Sure, I'm just curious at the range of people applying for the scheme and am looking to compare myself to their levels education.

ZaaZoo
12th Apr 2008, 22:58
19 US PPL+Multi with IR on the Way.200TT 85ME
AS in Aviation Operations.

121ace
13th Apr 2008, 10:08
Yes bobby you quite are correct. I am in the same position as many others who have applied i.e.with no experience.

link_142
13th Apr 2008, 11:37
cool, im 20, PPL 84hrs plus completing my AOPA Aerobatics. A levels Geog Physics Spanish ICT

AvEnthusiast
13th Apr 2008, 12:01
Hey Gents,

they have stated in their statements that there will be three intakes through out the year. So I don't know from where have you heard the there will be 2 intakes one in June and other in Dec?

And will education/background of ATC will help to be considered for the program? aside from motivation to this career. And what's your impression from my location?

And bobby, I didn't see any section on the form for choosing your availability.

And have you all uploaded your current medical certificates?

And Guys, as soon as one of you gets a call please let us all know.

ZaaZoo
13th Apr 2008, 12:27
def will let you know...still waiting.

ZaaZoo
14th Apr 2008, 01:24
Currently 5:23 am in Abu Dhabi........A monday morning-back to work for the HR people< cross your fingers!

AvEnthusiast
14th Apr 2008, 09:43
Hi ZZoo,

Being an Islamic country, Friday is day off. Or Either half day of Thursday and Friday or Friday and Satruday. So they have already started the week. But anyway nervouse to hear about the selection.

CruiseControl_007
14th Apr 2008, 11:00
Apparently the weekend used to be on Thursday/Friday in KSA but they changed it to Friday/Saturday at the end of 2006.

I would presume it's the same for the UAE.

Ouseburn
14th Apr 2008, 11:46
Yes, the UAE's weekend is Friday/Saturday...

ZaaZoo
14th Apr 2008, 13:00
Good to know...thanks for the info.

link_142
14th Apr 2008, 13:49
Hey

just called etihad head office with regards to this scheme.....and spoke to a guy who said dont expect to hear anything for the next month...maybe even two months...

121ace
14th Apr 2008, 13:52
but that doesn't make sense at all. Seeing as the first intake of 12 is in June :confused:

CruiseControl_007
14th Apr 2008, 14:06
Typical.

It seems to me that there will be some "teething" problems initially so I wouldn't be surprised if the June intake is delayed by a month or two. :ugh:

121ace
14th Apr 2008, 20:21
That would be a real shame if it was delayed. I'm sure that you'll all agree the anxiety of waiting can get to one . And now to be told that we may have to wait up to two months :*

ZaaZoo
14th Apr 2008, 21:34
That would be a real shame if it was delayed. I'm sure that you'll all agree the anxiety of waiting can get to one

Thats how some people were concieved:ugh::ok:

SpamFritters
14th Apr 2008, 23:57
Sorry guys but have you seen the pay??
I know pay sin't everything it it seems to me like your move out there will be final with not much scope to come back.. as the yearly pay for FO base seems to be about £6000sterling at the moment.

maybe someone can correct me on this.

CruiseControl_007
15th Apr 2008, 09:52
SpamFritters,

Actually its AED 6000 per month which equates to about £830 per month.

Therefore, the cadet would be on approx. £10,000 per annum.

It is not clear whether this is during training or during employment. If during trainig then one is getting paid even without working which is great.

However, if it is the cadet salary during employment, even though there is no tax in the middle east and the fact that they bond you for about 6 years it's still a stepping stone in securing a job. I'm sure that after the first year or so prospects will look better. Who knows...

I guess initially some sacrifices have to be made in this industry. :(

C'est La Vie!

121ace
15th Apr 2008, 10:13
The AED6000 per month (£825) is the salary recieved during ther first 18 months of training

And I quote :''A monthly stipend of AED 6,000 will be paid to CADETS''

It works out to about £14850 over the 18 months. Which isn't bad eh, and the fact they are going to be providing all training costs and accomodation. However I'm not 100% sure about food, but to be honest getting £200 a week, we're not exactly going to starve. (hmmm I say 'we' as though we've already made it through- lets hope we can look back on this conversation in a years time sitting in the UAE......)

After training you will be on a 6 year bond during which you will receive a second officer salary I think. Thats still bloody fantastic, seeing as their is no tax and they pay for utility bills, accomodation, medical etc.

ZaaZoo
15th Apr 2008, 13:44
Has anyone here ever been to AUH? Not just the airport but the city in general?

CruiseControl_007
16th Apr 2008, 08:16
Yes I have.

The city itself is very cosmopolitan and a lot of large companies tend to set up offices in this city. It reminds me a little of NY but proabably more stylish. :ok:

SW1
16th Apr 2008, 12:03
Hi,

Anyone else having problems filling out the application form for the Etihad cadet pilot scheme. I have input NA for text and ) for flying hours but it keeps telling me to put in current employer. I get the same error box popping up evrytime i try to confirm my details in Flying school and current licenses also.

Any help?

Cheers

SpamFritters
16th Apr 2008, 12:46
Put '1' instead of '0' - it doesn't like '0'.
:E

SW1
16th Apr 2008, 12:59
Cheers SF but still no luck. I keep getting the box that says "Enter current employer to confirm". Anyone out there having the same problems with this one?

ZaaZoo
16th Apr 2008, 14:10
Well if you have no current employer then....there might be a problem? Have you never had a job?

SW1
16th Apr 2008, 14:19
It is the same form that experienced pilots have to fill out. As seen below:

Application Procedure
If you meet the above criteria and want to give wings to your dreams, please click on the “Apply Now” link below.
Please Note: The application is designed for experienced pilots, so there is some information that will not apply to you. Please follow the application instructions as mentioned below.
Complete the following sections:
Contact Information
Personal Details
Language Skills
Reference
Provide “0” for numbers or “NA” for text in the following sections:
Employment Details and History (Unless you have previous Pilot experience)
Current License Details (Unless you have a current Pilot’s license)
Flying School (Unless you have attended a flying school)
Please attach your current CV in the Documents Upload section. Select “Copy of License” as the category from the pull-down menu but attach your CV instead.

Still no luck....

SW1
16th Apr 2008, 14:22
Oh and by the way, this program IS for non-nationals. there is a separate program for UAE nationals.

Cheers.

http://careers.etihadairways.com/ehire/english/careers/jobDetails.aspx

SpamFritters
16th Apr 2008, 14:32
What are you putting in the text boxes?
Make sure your putting NA if that doesn't work try putting the full version of it.. as there may be a set number of characters required.

Also make sure all the other fields are filled in - such as where it says what rank you are - just put FO.

Good luck :sad:

SW1
16th Apr 2008, 14:54
Done. Cheers for the help.

SpamFritters
16th Apr 2008, 16:59
Goodo :E

For those of you who have applied.. out of interest.. what is your background?
I.e Education, Job, Flying hours.

Don't feel like you have to answer or anything. Would be nice to know what "sort" of people have applied.:8

malirm
16th Apr 2008, 17:15
Yes...I was born & living in AUH...Abu Dhabi is as our friend said in the beginning (reminds him a little of NY), Abu Dhabi is growing significantly...but Al Ain (training area) has only ONE traffic Light and a lots of Round Abouts after that...it is a city in the middle of the desert with a lots of gardens & Asian workers (SOoo Cheap)...generally it is Good & Safe, BUT a person who is used to live in a City like Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Doha...etc. would find a difficulty to live in Al Ain...you can spend weekends in Abu Dhabi City...

dingdongbubble
17th Apr 2008, 09:44
Yeah, it would be good if people would tell us a bit about themselves. I am just a high schooler in Dubai and theres still around 1.5 years for me to turn 18 :(. Till that time, I guess I will continue with school or join Emirates Aviation College for a diploma in Aerospace ENgineering. Any suggestions for what I can do?

Birky
19th Apr 2008, 04:13
18-26 eh? What's wrong with 27 yr olds then?

airfoil
19th Apr 2008, 06:16
Literally... DISQUALIFIED :p

dingdongbubble
19th Apr 2008, 15:18
Well right now I am young but not when I am 18. :rolleyes:

Anyone else?

cadet_hani
19th Apr 2008, 19:56
anyone here who got reply from etihad airways till now ?

ZaaZoo
19th Apr 2008, 22:03
Still waiting.

dingdongbubble
2nd May 2008, 08:55
I still dont understand how they can allow a fATPL pilot to fly a Boeing or Airbus.

Does Etihad give type rating as well?

delay
3rd May 2008, 18:33
I applied on the 30th of April,

Im 20, PPL from dubai with my CPL on the way over 200 hours dual time and 65 hours PIC time,

currently studying Economics at University, A Levels in Maths, Economics and History at grade A

think my chances are quite slim, too many applicants with a lot of them already having Multi-IFRs.

AvEnthusiast
4th May 2008, 12:33
I hope he is kidding or just want to get fun of it. And don't you think if the shortlisting process had ended then we would have received computer generated e-mails saying that we have not been successful.

dingdongbubble
6th May 2008, 20:06
delay: thanks. Which univ BTW?