PDA

View Full Version : Australian Airline pilot with Type 1 Diabetes

ilikeplanes
1st Apr 2008, 05:50
Hi,

Was wondering if anyone reading this post is from the select group of Canadian commercial pilots who have managed to maintain their medical and still fly in multi-crew aircraft, after being diagnosed as type 1 diabetics? I am an Australian pilot who has recently been diagnosed and just started the battle with CASA to retain my medical. Traditionally in oz, type 1's have their medicals cancelled, but with so much research into the disease, and the fact that is being allowed in other countries (primarily Canada), i was hoping to achieve the same here in Australia.

So, is there anybody out there reading this that is flying an airliner and has type 1 diabetes??? Please help!

ilikeplanes

ilikeplanes
1st Apr 2008, 22:15
Cheers, thanks for that. i'll check it out.

meaw
3rd Apr 2008, 14:15
Ilikeplanes,

I fly for Air Canada and I can tell you that we have a few of our pilots that have diabetes.One in particular is a A320 captain who was featured in the Toronto Star I believe a couple of years ago.(not 100% sure of the newspaper)
Now I don't know what type of diabetes they have other than they have to be able to control it.
We also have a captain that I know of with a pacemaker so you would be surprised at how far Transport Canada will go to help one stay in their chosen career as long as they are safe.
Good luck

J.O.
3rd Apr 2008, 22:38
It helps to make contact with an aviation medical examiner who has experience in assisting a pilot through the assessment and approval process. You can search for the list of available examiners on this web page. http://www.tc.gc.ca/aviation/applications/cam/en/CamSearch2.asp?x_lang=e

ilikeplanes
4th Apr 2008, 08:40
Thank you guys. I am in the process of putting together a case for CASA as to why "i don't pose a risk to safety", or some such s*#t. All this information helps.

Captainkarl
10th Apr 2008, 02:50
Hello, contact my group at www.pilotswithdiabetes.com we have the email address of a Canadian Type 1 diabetic airline pilot. In fact we know of several active type 1 airline pilots. We are attempting to achieve wat your doing but in the UK as well.

www.pilotswithdiabetes.com email us and say I reffered you.

Karl