PDA

View Full Version : Is this possible: Flying contract for SA company but reside elsewhere ?

Propellerpilot
31st Mar 2008, 22:22
Just a question for those of you in the contract business:

Is it in any way possible or realistic for me as a SACAA-licensed, SA-citizen to work for a company based in SA that flies worldwide contracts and at the same time be resident and spend my off-time in a foreign country other than SA?

- ie. fly 2 months on, whereever the job takes me and then spend the month home say in Frankfurt, Germany instead of say Joburg or Pretoria if I carry the extra cost? (Ticket from Jordan to Frankfurt might even be cheaper...)

Or do they want me to have a residence close to the base of operation? is it too unpractical for them? There are probably companies that mind (those that want to steal your off-days;-) ) and others that do not, as long as the operation does not suffer.

Any recommendations, experiences or should I discard this idea altogether and rent a place close by (but further away from the cherry:O)?

Thx

Groot_Pens
1st Apr 2008, 05:58
Yes its is

Contract Dog
1st Apr 2008, 06:58
Yes, most companies dont mind, but just be home for sim checks and medicals and renewals and so on, (make sure they all lapse in the same week)

Dog

cavortingcheetah
1st Apr 2008, 07:52
:hmm:
As far as the company is concerned, if your contract is two months on and one month off, the one month off should be not a lot of their business.
You may of course have to rather waste any positioning tickets/rebate flights that are on offer.
If, reading between the lines, the piece of fruitcake lies in Frankfurt, then you may need to do a little research into German residence permits and taxation.
As far as I know, and I may be wrong, if you want to stay in Germany for more than a few months of the year, you need to register with the police there and obtain a tourist residence permit. This is not of itself difficult but it does bring you under the eye of the German tax authorities. Again, only as far as I know, but my piece of Schwarzfeldertorter for this year reposes somewhat to the south of Munich, if you stay longer than 180 days a year in Germany, you become a tax resident. As such you are taxed on your world wide income. It would not matter much even if you have paid tax at SA rates, witheld on your salary, you'd still have the nuisance and possible e xpense of filing a German tax return. Just like any other country, beaurocracy there functions mainly in the native language, so that could be an added difficulty.
For a fact though, the German police are fairly hot on foreigners, including EU passport holders, living in Germany who do not register with them.
Medicals? Well there used to be a doctor in the UK who could do an SA renewal, stress ECG and all. I tink he is still in business.
That for what it's worth. Probably a lot of totally unnecessary rhubarb but you know the fabulous fast feline, always happy to oblige someone either trying to minimise taxation or maximise Ugandan topics of extra curricular activity!:D

spice
2nd Apr 2008, 05:24
It absolutely is possible to do contract work and live in another country. As long as you attend the regular CRM, DG courses wherever, as well as medical and so on. There are also many contract companies that are not based in South Africa but mates of mine fly on them and live in SA, opposite to what you require, but these companies do not mind where in the world you live.

JTrain
2nd Apr 2008, 07:25
I believe some of the other contract firms like Canadian companies DAC are much more flexible. DAC has a bunch of DHC-8 guys from Australia, Kenya, Canada. They'll let you take your ticket home on your off months to basically anywhere. Pay is probably similar to some of the 1900 or E120 operators from SA, better in some ways, worse in others.

jt

groundfloor
2nd Apr 2008, 09:19
Daai ding sal jou verder sleep as wat dinamiet jou kan skiet....:}

"That thing will drag you further than dynamite could blast you" Go for it!

Propellerpilot
4th Apr 2008, 17:10
So it can be done - good to know it is an option. I am lucky to hold dual citizenship, so staying in EU is no problem for me.

Happy Landings !

pp:)

Lt Gonville Bromhead
5th Apr 2008, 17:34
I have been living in Edinburgh for the last two and a half years flying contract in Africa and Asia for an SA contract operator. It has never caused any problems except the SA salary is fairly modest considering the cost of living in Europe. But it has been worth it. Good luck chap.