PDA

View Full Version : Specific Gates for Ireland at Newcastle

wannaBAgrad
31st Mar 2008, 21:23
I regularly fly from NCL to DUB, BFS and BHD. I've noticed that NCL has a specific gate (Gate 2) set aside for Ireland-bound flights and all arriving passengers from Ireland must go through this specific gate to get to the baggage reclaim. Why is this? Is it related to the Troubles and ensuring that Ireland passengers can be checked by the police whilst going in and out?

dgutte
31st Mar 2008, 21:56
That's the impression I got when I once flew NCL - BFS in the late 90's. Gate 2 appeared to be a "holding" gate where I guess for 20 mins or so the security services could check over those that have checked in, I assume via camera and computer.

Dee747
31st Mar 2008, 22:07
Surely as next week marks the 10th anniversary of the signing of the Good Friday Agreement the wise management at NCL ought to be looking at this insult (if that's what it is viewed as by pax). The Army operation in the province has ended, Big Ian and Martin (aka the Chuckle Brothers) are leading us all into a new future, and easyjet, Ryanair and Aer Lingus are all now fighting for our custom. Waken up NCL.

ConstantFlyer
31st Mar 2008, 22:35
Next time, look out for the Northumbria Police desk - behind which may or may not be standing a Northumbrian Policeperson (generally plain-clothed). It all has to do with the "Common Travel Area" as far as arrivals from the Republic of Ireland, the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands are concerned. Because passengers coming from those points of origin did not require to pass through passport control on entering the UK as their countries were part of the long-established CTA, the only way to monitor them was for them to be routed past police officers. The requirement was extended to cover arrivals in Great Britain from Northern Ireland under the Prevention of Terrorism (Temporary Provisions) Act 1990, so I believe.

MrSoft
1st Apr 2008, 09:03
At MAN and LBA I have never seen anyone at the Police desk. In fact the setup is a boon to travellers as you forgo passport control on your return to UK. The only schlep being, the compulsory jolting bus ride :yuk: instead of an airbridge.

MAN used to let you go down the T1 fast lane as well, but I think this has now been canned.

FairlieFlyer
2nd Apr 2008, 07:18
Its also how visa expired/illegal types enter UK mainland without needing to go through UK Border control...