PDA

View Full Version : Military Discounts In Usa

mckelvey
31st Mar 2008, 15:13
Hi All,

Sorry to raise a subject probably covered on numrous occasions on this forum but.......

Mrs McKelvey, 16 yr old daughter and I are doing a Kuoni "Western Discovery" tour of San Francisco, Los Angeles, Vegas, Grand Canyon and Monument Valley in July this year. Any tips on places to visit and discounts available would be appreciated. I have not been fortunate enough to have been on duty in this area during my career thus far so any helpful suggestions would be appreciated. I have had a very kind 10% discount on the holiday from Kuoni but any further discounts/tips would be nice.

It would also be nice to hear from anyone who has done the "Kuoni Western Disovery" tour. Please remember that we will be accompanied by a 16 yr old who will not be permitted to do adult things........

Regards

Mr, Mrs & Miss McKelvey

renard
31st Mar 2008, 15:23
I'm not in the military, but I have just come back from a trip to Texas.

There were quite a few places that offered a discount to serving military - typically 10% - the same as for seniors.

Also saw lots of military guys in uniform eating out.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
31st Mar 2008, 15:31
Out of interest - and actually a serious question - did they generally differentiate between which country the uniform belonged to?

Early Stacker
31st Mar 2008, 15:43
The commom view in the US seems to be that we are "Brothers in Arms" and in my experience it is always worth flashing your 1250, most shops, restaurants etc will offer some kind of discount. Enjoy the trip!

Airborne Aircrew
31st Mar 2008, 16:04
Having resided here for 20 years I can assure you that Americans are not at all shy when it comes to asking for/if a discount is available... It's practically de rigeur... so piping up and asking whenever anyone asks you for cash would be just fine. Pretty much everyone in business appreciates the military and I don't think the fact that it isn't the US military will be an issue. Bearing in mind the place is also heavily populated with Anglophiles you'll probably be on a winner anywhere.

Fisherman's Wharf in San Fran isn't as impressive as one would think. The Golden Gate Bridge and Alcatraz can be done from shore or by a tour... I took piccies from shore - the trip cuts into the drinking time but that isn't an issue for you...

Shame you're not going down to San Diego - the lass would like it, nice zoo... It's about a 2 hour drive IIRC from Long Beach, (which is pretty much a suburb of LA), to San Diego. The Queen Mary is in Long Beach too if that interests you.

Travelling over land from LA to Las Vegas takes you quite close to Death Valley - might be worth a diversion, (would add about 1 - 1 1/2 hours to get to the southern end of it) - trip from LA to LV is about four hours without the DV diversion.

Mr C Hinecap
31st Mar 2008, 16:31
Canyonlands National Park, Arches National Park near Moab is brilliant (sunset, Delicate Arch - do it).

stirtloe
31st Mar 2008, 16:41
Depending on how fit you are feeling :yuk: the Bike Ride across the Golden Gate Bridge and ferry back from Sausalito is good fun. If you want to go to Alcatraz you need to book early you can do it online.

merlinxx
31st Mar 2008, 17:01
A must for you (if you're still allowed a few more 'Gs') + your daughter will love it. Check the Stratosphere Hotel (www.stratospherehotel.com (http://www.stratospherehotel.com)) for the X-Scream. Stayed at the Strat for our last NBAA convention in Lost Wages & just had to ride this!!!!!!!!!!!!!! After a good OEM supplied diner/booze, bad move.

PS Show UK Military ID it will work wonders.

PPS How could I forget the INSANITY @ the Strat!

indie cent
31st Mar 2008, 18:46
Sounds like a great trip. I thought I'd post this for the benefit of mountain lovers.

Many US ski resorts offer a hugely generous military discount of around 1/3 off the cost of a lift pass.

You may be able to take in some MTB touring or just Mountain sightseeing in July and take advantage of this great offer.

Mammoth mountain is LA's favourite (albeit over 4hrs drive) and the numerous resorts around Lake Tahoe are around 3 hours from San Francisco.

Some of the scenery around the Sierra's (esp. up to Mammoth from LA) would be worth the trip alone.

As an aside, I suspect shopping may prove to be a strong attraction on your trip... you may wish to budget accordingly!:eek:

Good luck

Brittany
31st Mar 2008, 19:47
In keeping with the same line of query, does anyone know if you can obtain a military discount for families when visiting Disney Land / World?

sandgrounder74
31st Mar 2008, 23:57
Currently on holiday in Florida with a tribe of kids & 'er indoors and frankly I have been humbled by the reception I get as a UK military man. Free entry to both Busch Gardens Theme park in Tampa and Seaworld in Orlando (admits myself and 3 others - although the guy at busch gardens put 1 extra through for free!)

I have found no military discounts at Disney or Universal studios although you may get discount tickets at a local MWR ( I found regular on-line discounts were better). Lots of other local companies seem to offer discounts, if you ask, for example Boggy Creek Airboat Rides give a blanket 20% discount to military.

For places to stay the "Shades of Green" resort is a miltary only resort with great discounts although I am unsure if UK military would be allowed?

Sorry to sound like a travel agent (no commission received honest) but I have been genuinely impressed with the discounts.

As for the reception you get if you say you are in the UK military to most Americans - I was embarrassed by their warmth and generosity. Frankly having just returned from the sandpit and been advised to remove my uniform at BZZ before onward travel to my base it just reaffirms my decision to leave in 2 months time.

Rant Over - now off my soap box!

Great discounts and the exchange rate helps:)

scran
1st Apr 2008, 03:35
Brittany - I did it (military discount for Disney World) but the only way was to get a serving US person to buy it. Not sure if any other way will work.

mckelvey
1st Apr 2008, 15:46
Gents & maybe Ladies,

Many thanks for your tips and suggestions. I should have mentioned but the trip does include San Diego so thank you for the zoo tip.

Flt Lt Mac, Hope you enjoy your holiday in Pwhelli as I have spent many happy summers in the surrounding area. You might want to try coasteering (maybe spelling mistake) as I am sure you will enjoy.

McK

mckelvey
1st Apr 2008, 15:52
Aaaaaaaaaaaaargh.

No problem for 10% discount. I just had to photocopy and fax my Royal Air Force ID to the "Staff" department and the discount was reflected on my online invoice the same day.

The "Forces Disounts Brochure" directs you to the website but doesn't give you an option to obtain a discount. I had to do it on the phone but I might add that the Kuoni sales staff were very accommodating.

Best of luck

McK

Zoom
1st Apr 2008, 18:04
Depending on how fit you are feeling the Bike Ride across the Golden Gate Bridge and ferry back from Sausalito is good fun. If you want to go to Alcatraz you need to book early you can do it online.

...agreed! But Alcatraz probably more of a boy thing than girl thing.

Cable cars - be prepared to wait up to 45 mins.

Pier 39 to get fairly close to a load of seals.

The Cheesecake Factory, atop Macy's - be prepared to wait up to 2 hours! Better to buy some to take away - sorry, to go.

99luftballon
1st Apr 2008, 18:24
Did a similar holiday last year, but drove to Yosemite and Death Valley on route from San Francisco to Vegas. Can't recommend Yosemite enough, the scenery is incredible, and made some long car journeys well worth while.

Coit Tower and Twin peaks are both well worth a visit in San Francisco, the views of the city are fantastic. If you get a clear day the Bay Bridge Cruise is very touristy, but provides some great views of the Golden Gate Bridge.

Didn't try for military discount anywhere in USA, but Virgin will give you 5% off if you book with them.

Enjoy your tour!

MDJETFAN
1st Apr 2008, 19:28
If you are in the Long Beach area, visit the wonderful aquarium on the Waterfront. It would tie in nicely with a stay aboard the Queen Mary.

teeteringhead
2nd Apr 2008, 10:54
Going a bit off piste across the pond later this year, taking in Chicago, Denver and Salt Lake City ...... any suggestions recommendations where the flash of a 1250 may be welcomed - or just good places to go...

For Flt Lt Mac I would warmly recommend the Pwllheli (correct spelling) Ice-Cream-and-Eel-Orama, situate about midway between the Black Lion and the Gwalia cafe....

youngskywalker
2nd Apr 2008, 12:05
San Diego is a great city, lot's to do. I can recommend visiting the USS Midway aircraft carrier museum, may not impress the ladies in youre group though! Also second the zoo, it must be one of the worlds best.

JOE-FBS
2nd Apr 2008, 12:23
Probably doesn't help this trip but this may help some of you out there. Passing through Dallas last week, I noticed that American Airlines opens its business lounge to miltary personnel. I didn't read all the conditions but it seemed real and maybe can be used at other airports. Sorry to be so vague, just a civillian trying to help.

Wader2
2nd Apr 2008, 12:34
Found a US website today:

www.vacationstogo.com (http://www.vacationstogo.com)

Offers military discounts, 55+ discounts, and others. The mil discount for something I looked at was $1199 against there 55+ discount of $1399. They have a UK freephone number so looks like the offer is available here, you only have to ask :)