PDA

View Full Version : Rotorheads calendar April 2008

John Eacott
31st Mar 2008, 08:28
April calendar comes from Spencer17, who took this photo of one of PDG’s AS350B2 Squirrel on Farrmheall (Carrbreck Mast Site) near Durness, Sutherland, Scotland.

Wide screen:
http://www.eacott.com.au/gallery/d/2052-1/April+2008+wide+thumb.jpg (http://www.eacott.com.au/gallery/d/2049-1/April+2008+wide.jpg)

Standard screen size:

http://www.eacott.com.au/gallery/d/2047-1/April+2008+thumb.jpg (http://www.eacott.com.au/gallery/d/2044-1/April+2008.jpg)

As always, for Windows users click on the thumbnail to open a higher resolution full picture, and then right click to select “Set as Background”. Mac users should select the background via System Preferences.

McBad
31st Mar 2008, 13:18
Nice Pic, thanks :ok:

What is the bow shaped dark apparatus that looks as if it connected to the hull of the helicopter behind the skids? It looks as if that is what the pilot would be using the mirror to look at...

Cheers,

M.

MD900 Explorer
31st Mar 2008, 20:00
McBad

The mirror is used by the pilot in slinging loads. The pilot views the load from the seat, when they don't have thier head leaning out of the window. The "Umbrella" is the device behind the landing light, which surrounds the cargo hook in the slinging operation. There are essential electrical contacts that are supported here for things such as releasing the load.

Hope this helps :ok:

MD :uhoh:

bell222
31st Mar 2008, 21:58
nice pic thanks :ok:

HeliCraig
1st Apr 2008, 08:15
Is this the same maroon coloured AS350 that was in Entrapment (Sean Connery / Catherine Zeta Jones) ?

moosp
1st Apr 2008, 16:27
You guys at PDG run a clean machine, so good to see. Takes a lot of work in a commercial environment.

John, thank you again for setting this up.

Bravo73
1st Apr 2008, 18:07
Is this the same maroon coloured AS350 that was in Entrapment (Sean Connery / Catherine Zeta Jones) ?

Nearly all of the PDG AOC aircraft (350/355) are the same maroon colour.

misterbonkers
1st Apr 2008, 18:12
1 is blue, 2 are black and yellow.

Ken Wells
3rd Apr 2008, 19:08
Fantastic John I missed my monthly fix , well done!

Brian Dixon
3rd Apr 2008, 20:59
Whoops!

I'm a bit slow off the mark this month.

Thanks again. Another great photo.

Brian

206Fan
3rd Apr 2008, 22:20
Excellent shot.. cheers john :ok:

Flarechecklevel
9th Apr 2008, 23:45
2000 hours min and 500 turbine for work on the 350 fleet, But exceptions can be made to total time if the candidate has a good background. Military, Twin turbine, mountain flying, sling loading, aerial filming etc are all good to have. The terrain is NOT forgiving in anyway at all up there in the Highlands. The demands are high and therefore your skills have to match. Carbreck mast (in the photo) on a sunny day is VERY rare. It is a totaly different story in 40knt winds, driving rain and/or bad visibility when your trying to put your fifth800/900kg of underslung equipment down for the engineers.

Personal skills are also VERY high on the agenda. PDG is a tight knit (not small) company and 'getting on' and 'pulling your weight' are essential.

It is a GREAT company to work for and the quality and variety of flying is UNBEATABLE in this country.

Hope this helps!

LongTailRotor
20th Apr 2008, 21:12
Once again a fantastic background for my desktop.

Thanks
LongTailRotor

WylieCoyote
7th May 2008, 10:20
GES,

I don't know what stage your at now hours e.t.c but if it helps I got the hours within 4yrs of passing my CPL just by instructing,ad hoc charter and some good luck! If PDG are a company your aiming to work for then turbine hours are pretty much essential but also a variety in your flying experience will help.
I'd echo what FCL said, PDG are a great company,interesting work and good bunch to boot.

Good Luck.

normalbloke
13th May 2008, 12:01
"Is this the same maroon coloured AS350 that was in Entrapment (Sean Connery / Catherine Zeta Jones) ?"

I believe this machine was supplied by Sterling.They also had a pilot who bore more than a spooky resemblence to Mr Tennish himself.I believe(but stand to be corrected)that the aircraft was painted for the role, and changed back.G-TOPS springs to mind.