PDA

View Full Version : Lufthansa and baggage

BaronChotzinoff
30th Mar 2008, 21:24
Why is it that the only operator I've had baggage problems with is Lufthansa, and that about 20% of the time? Is it actually their fault or do they use a 3rd party handler?

Over Easter I flew to Frankfurt from Birmingham, I had about 40 mins to get my bag and get on a pre-booked specified rail connection to meet my family in Karlsruhe. Only the bags for the flight were taking forever - 50 mins - to appear on the carousel. Eventually I asked someone and it turned out that NONE of the bags had been loaded for those pax disembarking at FRX ie with no transfer flight to take. After all the hassle of queueing again at the Missing Baggage desk etc my bag was eventually delivered after 11pm that night, 2 hours' driving after the penultimate victim's dropoff. How can these idiots be making any money when they have to operate like this?

And as I started out by saying, this sort of thing seems to happen every several of flights, though is normally far less inconvenient.

fendant
31st Mar 2008, 08:25
Hello you Highness,

it is common knowledge that LH looses permanently bags in Frankfurt. If you change planes at FRA there is only one advice: Do not check any bags! My personal statistic ove the last 12 months is that in about ~40% of all flights into FRA checked bags do not make it onto the connecting flight.

The reason is in my opinion, that the advertised 45 mins transfer times are just phantasy. You have no chance to make your connecting flight in less than 1 hour 15 mins. If you make it, you bags won't. Furthermore the FRA bag handlers are unionized (VERDI) and strictly observe their long 35 hour work week:sad:.

Last time I came from NRT via FRA to ZRH. Although we had ample time for the transfer ( about 100 mins ) not a single bag made it from our NRT -FRA leg. There were about 20 very angry pax in ZRH (mostly Japanese) without warm clothing watching the snowfall outside.

MUC is better, maybe they are not unionized;)
Frank

42ongo
1st Apr 2008, 23:32
Hope I m not tempting fate
use LH all the time for transfers via FRA
never had a problem they even made a 20 minute connection for a LHR FRA NRT jaunt