PDA

View Full Version : PPL Ground studies - Study time

Leeds1972
28th Mar 2008, 21:24
Hi guys and girls,

Just wanted to know other peoples experiences of the PPL ground studies and the amount of time taken for each subject, hours or weeks taken etc..
I've been studying aircraft general for 3 weeks on the OAT computer based training and slowly making progress but not covered all aspects of the subject as yet..
I've been watching the cd then taking notes, so far I must have 40 sides of A4 but seem to be taking it all in just slowly..
Is there any subjects that take longer than others to learn??
Im planning to get all my ground studies completed before I jet to America for the flying training:ok:

Just thankyou all in advance for your replys its greatly appreciated..

JONNY99
28th Mar 2008, 23:17
Yep definitely a good idea to get them out of the way first

Willows
29th Mar 2008, 00:16
Yeah, I know how that feels. :sad: Friggin Nav. computer.

Navigation is the third exam I'm sitting. Still have to start study for the rest of 'em!

Greg2041
29th Mar 2008, 16:34
Hello Leeds1972,

I bought the CD ROMS and did as you were doing. I found it tremendously time consuming and spoke to a number of training organisations who told me to stop using them. I have been told that they are way over-the-top in terms of content and contain a lot of material outside of the exam syllabus.

I bought Jeremy Pratts books, signed up for the CATS on-line course and bought a PPL confuser. Far more sensible.

Oh and I sold the CDROMS!!!!!

Leeds1972
31st Mar 2008, 09:32
Well heard the same about the OATS cd's myself but as hoping to follow the ATPL after then thought would stand me in good stead..
The aircraft general cd seems to go on forever, not looking forward to NAV, I may leave that till last!!:ugh:

nickyjsmith
31st Mar 2008, 10:03
Hi,
I've got the cd's and the AFe book's. I found the books quicker to learn from but used the cd's after i had read up, they were easier to understand then.

Definately get a ppl confuser, as some of the caa questions are not about knowing the subject more about spelling and grammar! It will give you load's of practice question's and you will get used to the style.Set yourself exam type time limit's as well, Nav is tight on time so practice,practice,... Get the weather off the Met site and practice working out a few route's.

If you have no aviation back ground it will be hard without learning to fly, the flying will make sence of a lot of thing's, i'm sure you will do it though.

All the best,

Nick.

xbilz
31st Mar 2008, 10:23
Hi all,

I am currently using Trevor Thomas's books to study for PPL Ground Studies. These books were published by "Airlife Publishing Ltd" and Reprinted with some Amendments in 2002. There are 7 books in all - No CD or any other media source.

Can the experienced ones please advise me that using these books is the right choice. If not, what shall I do for the ground study for PPL?

Many thanks.

madgav
10th Apr 2008, 11:27
I have the 2003 edition of the Thom books, purchased from a well known online auction site :). One thing I have become aware of is that some stuff has been updated since then (low flying rules for air law, some of the met charts, etc.). Other that the books are fine, air law is a dull read & can be difficult to learn but it has to be done.....
For practise exams, I use a combination of the confuser and the airquiz online exam site.

I have a busy schedule and generally only get time to study for a couple of evenings a week plus Saturdays, but I have managed 3 exams so far:
19/10/07 Air Law (100%)
30/11/07 Met (95%)
22/02/08 Human Perf (100%)
I think maybe I am over-studying :confused:
Currently studying Nav, nearly through the 400-page book but still got lots of work to do before I'm ready for the exam. Generally I'm finding Nav quite interesting and strangely enough have got to quite like the wizzy-wheel:)

<moan> This relatively slow pace has fitted in well with the poor weather recently (10 lessons booked to date in 2008, only 2 flown). On 25th April it will be *6 months* since my first solo and I have had *no* second solo as yet :sad: </moan>

All the best,
Gavin.
www.madgav.org

Rugbyears
10th Apr 2008, 12:34
Leeds1972 – Bin CD’s!!!! I recommend that you purchase a copy of The Air Pilot’s Manual (Seven Volumes). Read each topical book intensively answering the practice questions at the end of each chapter. Once you are averaging a high pass rate, progress to the next chapter. You should only be spending two, possibly three days maximum reading each book. Once you have completed a book refer to the PPL Confuser. Again repeatedly answer each topical chapter appropriately. Once you attain a consistent high score, say 95%. SIT the exam for that particular topic.

Take heart, I’m certainly not the most studious of individuals. I would suggest that you sit Air Law and Nav first, as these would prevent a student from completing a solo flight, although, I note your intention to complete your flying across the pond – Good luck, don’t worry!!!:ok:

bajadj
10th Apr 2008, 12:55
if you think the oxford cd's are way over the top, just wait til you see the oxford ATPL books!!! absolutely perfect if you want to fly ifr blindfolded to saturn via alpha centuri with one leg and one arm tied behind your back whilst making a full english breakfat in the galley whilst whistling dixie! and thats just the vfr comms book! :O:O

shouldn't this thread be in the private flying forum??

acuba 290
10th Apr 2008, 18:13
I used Jeremy Pratt books 1-4 (not HPL) and PPL Confuse and Q&A Simplifier from AFE and it took about 1 Mounth, but almost fulltime at home, had lots of time for that

Put1992
10th Apr 2008, 18:43
The air pilot's manuals with the PPL confuser are a great combination.