PDA

View Full Version : Career Development Loans and Bristol Ground School

Lost in Cloud
28th Mar 2008, 15:38
Hi All

Does anyone have any current experiance of applying for a career development loan (CDL)? I plan to borrow the maximum £8000 to pay to finish of my PPL and enrol with Bristol ground school (BGS) for the ATPL theory. The remaining amount I was planning to use to pay for a portion of hour building.

However I phoned BGS today, because you need a training center code to say that that center is an approved trainer for CDL criteria before going to the bank with it. BGS have lost/ did not renew in time their old CDL registration and no longer can, for the next few months anyway, apply for a CDL with BGS.

Has anyone else had this problem? Any idea as to or if BGS will get their CDL entitlement back? Does anyone know of other ground school centers that do have the capability to offer CDLs?

Thanks

maxdrypower
28th Mar 2008, 15:54
Give Bristol another ring and ask them , they are very honest and if in the process of renewing they will tell you .Then be sneaky and pay for the course on your credit card and when they get their renewal get your CDL and clear your card .Bit sneaky but it may work.

wbryce
28th Mar 2008, 16:34
when I enrolled with my CPL/IR school, they had the same problem...At some point the learning skills council wiped their database of inactive organisations. It took 2-3 months to sort it out but It worked out nicely for me since I booked my course 3 months before I was due to start anyway.

Yes BGS should be able to get their approval back. Its not a difficult process, they just have to jump through the hoops.

In my opinion, I think the CDL is more logical for the CPL/IR, if your intending on going down this route. If you don't have the funds for the hour building and ATPL theory, then depending on certain circumstances, you may be pushed for time to get your IR before the ATPL credits lapse. Food for thought.

the_daddy
28th Mar 2008, 18:55
I'm going through the same thing with Bristol Flying Center at the moment...

The learning and skills council just lost all of the information on their databases apparently - wouldn't believe they were a UK government organisation would you! :ugh:

The school you are applying for, BGS, BFC or whoever, need to re-apply for their status again - but I presume they are already aware of this and are on the case... But if not, a quick phone call should help get the ball rolling.

On a better note, the LSC assured me that I was able to apply as this is a vocational qualification... Fingers crossed...!