PDA

View Full Version : Your experience's during flight training

lastdon
28th Mar 2008, 15:07
Dear All Aspiring pilots / veterans,

Apologies if im in the wrong forum. :ooh:

I always wondered if during the flight training any one of you encountered real time (non-simulated) problems in air.

Most grateful if you could share with us.

Regards :)

Kerosine
28th Mar 2008, 16:00
Had the most scary experience on only my 5th or 6th solo circuit. Ever since I was little I've had an irrational fear of bees and wasps, they send me into a girly (sorry girls, very non PC) flap every time. Anyhow I'm on my base leg at FAPE doing all my preps/checks, and I go to open the side air vent on the LH side as it was getting very stuffy. It seems while it was parked on the grass on this hot day, 2 wasp/bee things(!) had crawled into this vent from the outside.

You can imagine the colour of my pants changed rather quickly as these 2 things came flying out and down into the foot well:eek:. Anyway I remained calm (surprisingly!), whilst flying an approach, and whilst taking my foot off the rudder occasionally to stamp the feckers to death, as you can imagine I was a little distracted. I'd had my clearance to turn finals etc, and before I knew it I was flaring to a beautiful touchdown and only then it hit me that I hadn't got my landing clearance.:uhoh:

"Tower, KSF.. erm.. on very short finals"

long pause followed by the most disappointed and disapproving of tones...

"KSF... you're on the runway aren't you...:rolleyes:"

This was followed by a profuse apology/swift exit off the runway and a short prayer that the guys in the clubhouse weren't listening to the radio.

All ended as just an interesting story to tell thankfully.

lastdon
28th Mar 2008, 16:35
Thanks for sharing!! :ok:

Mikehotel152
28th Mar 2008, 16:41
:p Classic wasp story Kerosine!:ok:

Ah, yes, I remember a door opening overhead Panshanger on my first solo flight out of the circuit, which nearly resulted in an impromptu water bomb and chart, pencil and plog shower on those below...:O

And then there was the real rough-running engine climbing out of runway 22L, requiring a quick left turn and descent for a precautionary landing on runway 28....on my PPL Skills Test...:uhoh:

Kerosine
28th Mar 2008, 16:59
Mikehotel152

:p Classic wasp story Kerosine!:ok:

Hey there were TWO wasps! :}

a door opening overhead Panshanger on my first solo flight out of the circuit

rough-running engine climbing out of runway 22L, requiring a quick left turn and descent for a precautionary landing on runway 28....on my PPL Skills Test...

That's a bad run of luck!

G SXTY
29th Mar 2008, 12:44
Blocked fuel line in a C150, at night over the Everglades - scary.

Suction pump failure in a C152 resulting in loss of AI & DI. CAVOK day, >30 miles vis, local flight - complete non event.

Alternator failure in a Duchess on my IR test, 200' before top of climb (the sort of thing that's only supposed to happen in the sim). No big deal, but the test was curtailed - I still passed in the end. :)

lastdon
29th Mar 2008, 13:31
GSXTY,

For u my fren i found this.....

An airplane has 2 independent alternators. The probability that a given alternator will fail on a 1-hr flight is .02. What is the probability that (a) both will fail? :E (b) Neither will fail? (c) One or the other will fail?

Answer: List the combinations. 0.02 is 1 in 50.
Take 50 flights, in one, alternator A will fail.
Now take 50*50 flights. in 50 of those, alternator A will fail,
and of those 50, in one, alternator B will fail too.
That's 1 in 50*50 or 1/2500

Probability that neither will fail:
Designate the 2500 flights like this: 0101, 0102, 0103 ... 0150, 0201, ..., 5050
Alternator A fails in flights beginning 01.
Alternator B fails in flights ending 01.
There are 49*49 flights that don't have either.
49*49 / 2500 = 2401/2500

One or the other. That'd be the flights beginning 01 or ending 01 or both.
Theres 0102 to 0150 = 49 flights
0201, 0301 up to 5001 = 49 flights
+ 0101 = 1 flight
= 99 flights in which one or the other fails.
= 99/2500 = 0.0396 --> This is where you were :sad:

Cheers

G SXTY
29th Mar 2008, 13:36
Well thanks for clearing that up. :ok:

preduk
29th Mar 2008, 14:33
Radio failure on my 4th lesson during PPL training... had to do a low circuit and then had a follow me car on the ground...

Not that bad compared to a wasp in the cockpit! :sad:

TwoDeadDogs
29th Mar 2008, 14:37
Hi there
I was doing my first assymetric flight in a Duchess, owned by a JAA-Approved school in Florida,and I had shut down and feathered the left engine.All very well and good until I tried the restart.Not a hope.Accumulator was, as per, knackered.On the sixth attempt, we managed to get it out of feather and restart.We made an uneventful landing and taxied clear and held on a taxyway to allow other traffic to pass and do the after-landing checks.The right engine decided to shut down, with no input from us.Just upped and died.We could not get it restarted, much to the dismay of the ATCOs and had to be towed in by our school's little tug.Another Duchess had the same happen, within a few minutes, blocking another taxiway.ATC called the Boss and gave him a bollocking for that.He tried to blame us for shutting down in error but we showed him what had happened and he was obliged to apologise.
I also had a private T-33 pull up to avoid me, in my little C150,as we had both been cleared to be in the same piece of airspace.
Keeps you awake on those long cross countries, wondering what's going to happen next.
regards
TDD

nick14
29th Mar 2008, 18:39
Had 3 near misses in my training so far.

1 in the UK flying with a friend through the luton stanstead gap, came rather close to a Jabiru.

2 most recently in Phoenix, within 2 months of each other, come close to a C152 and a duchess.

Considering all this space here in america they cram lots of students into the same airspace, accident waiting to happen :S

Nick

lastdon
31st Mar 2008, 15:32
Hi nic,

Referring to you:

Had 3 near misses in my training so far. :eek:

Was it when you were solo?

Grass strip basher
31st Mar 2008, 16:51
Had a bird strike on take-off 3 weeks ago.... we certainly came of better than the bird.... from the remains looked like a seagull.... no lasting damage (to us.. not the bird)

lastdon
1st May 2008, 13:26
Well thanks for sharing.

Sorry for asking this, but anyone encountered issues on the ground? Like while taxing.......:ouch:

wayupthere
1st May 2008, 14:36
Loads of near misses, one very near miss with a corporate jet, (they never reset their Qnh) spent most of my twin time on one alternator and smoke in the cockpit from the heater :)