PDA

View Full Version : 737NG Evacuation Checklist

Flight Detent
28th Mar 2008, 11:20
Guys,

I'm wanting an opinion regarding the 737 EVAC checklist.
I believe the original two part (Captn and FO) memory checklist, recently replaced in the current 'Phase One' overhaul, as being superior to the currently published single page version, with no memory items at all!

From a realistic practical viewpoint, the original is both more efficient and quicker to complete.

thoughts.....

Also, the Phase Two QRH will be out in May (for the NG, others later), with a couple more changes, excluding the big change in formatting!!

Cheers...FD...:eek:

Blip
29th Mar 2008, 00:08
I can see both points of views and I first questioned the wisdom of the change as you are now. However I can see some advantages of the new procedures that perhaps out weigh the the extra time it takes to complete.

I suppose if you have made the decision to evacuate the aircraft, you are obviously under a lot of stress with your levels of adrenalin and whatever other hormones you have being pumped into your system at an all-time high. No doubt the chances of missing a checklist item are fairly high.

Perhaps it's a checklist that should not assume that both pilots are not incapacitated. If there is only one of you able bodied, obviously running through a single checklist would be far better than two separate (yet simultaneous) checklists.

The fact that the checklist is printed on the back page of the QRH means it's pretty easy to access and run through.

So for those reasons I think it has been a good change.

Centaurus
29th Mar 2008, 12:47
From a realistic practical viewpoint, the original is both more efficient and quicker to complete.

Wholeheartedly agree. In the simulator we see daily instances of lengthy delays in the issuance of the evacuation order simply due to the time for the first officer to not only read the evacuation checklist but to also execute the actions in his area of responsibility - which is most items.

Interesting to observe dispassionately the first officer stopping the checklist reading while he looks up at the pressurisation panel and then selects the pressurisation switch to manual DC and then locate the outflow valve switch (covered in heavy smoke from the fire that is the reason for the evacuation). Meanwhile the captain patiently waits for the first officer to place the flap lever down, and select the standby power switch to battery (engines still running of course and passengers sitting in the hot seats and the cabin staff too). Only then does the captain (?) select the start levers to cut off and initiate a call to evacuate.

Fortunately passenger evacuations are events we hear little of, but the dumbing down of this vital event by disregarding long proven experience that fire and smoke can incapacitate both passengers and crew in seconds (ever heard of flash-over?) surely must cast doubts that not having this event as a recall item is a recipe for disaster in event of fire.

rubik101
29th Mar 2008, 13:03
In the Sim, do it nice and methodical, just the way the Instructor briefs you.
In the burning, smoke filled aircraft, just remember to shut off those Start Levers before you issue the 'Evacuate' Command.
The rest of the items can be done, or not, and it will not matter too much.
Flap 15, so what?
Outflow valve half open, so what?
No power on the busses, so what?
One fire bottle discharged, so what?
Fuel shut off, Evacuation under way, ........enough.

We are talking human lives here, not the details of a checklist written in an office in Seattle.

btw, imho, the checklist written on the back cover of all QRHs should be the smoke removal drill, in great big letters. Can you imagine trying to find that buried in those horrible orange pages if the cockpit is filled with smoke?

Pax evac can go inside the cover!

porch monkey
31st Mar 2008, 13:08
Stby power to battery? Where does it say that? having practised it a little in the sim, it doesn't take long at all. Smoke is another issue tho.