PDA

View Full Version : UK Display authorisation?

Flashover999
28th Mar 2008, 10:52
Hi all.

Not looking to be doing Dennis K type stuff but mostly low and slow passes and hover work along the crowd line in a 206. Wonder who would be the person to contact re getting the Display authorisation? I have been asked to do a 5 min fill (Local boy lives dream etc) at an airshow as they are struggling to get the program full due the mil boys cutting back.

Any advice as always appreciated.

Flash

airborne_artist
28th Mar 2008, 11:04
This will give you all the info:

CAP 403 (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP403.PDF)

Flying Displays and Special Events: A Guide to Safety and Administrative Arrangements

Appendix K has a specimen Display Pilot Auth form - Form SRG 1301.

DennisK
28th Mar 2008, 12:19
Hallo Flashover,

As already mentioned, obtain a copy of CAP 403 first.

Then you call the CAA Flight Ops Inspectorate. Ask for either Dave Evans (DAE 001) or Rob Metcalfe. (DAE 013) Direct line. 01293-573510

Request a display authorisation application form, which only the CAA can issue. They'll ask you for your aviation background, display/aerobatic experience, flying hours etc.

Then decide on the precise display manoeuvres you will perform on your DA flying assessment and stick to them. Be aware of height and speed 'gates' on your proposed manoeuvres. You will be asked for them. Then crowdline awareness, especially as may be affected by a breeze. Safety is all in display flying. Everything else is secondary. CAP 403 will tell all!

Remember, the idea is to show off the machine ... not the pilot!

The CAA can do the assessment following your display demonstration or I can do the same on request. I charge travel & time costs only.

First we'll have a good chat on your knowledge of CAP 403. licence and log book check together with your motivation and personal approach and your ideas on mental attitude to display flying. Nothing horrid, but if I am doing the assessment, I need to feel confident that I am making a sound recommendation for the CAA to issue your DA.

In closing .. a big welcome to rotary display flying. There aren't many of us and it is always good to hear of some new guys. Get the above right and have hours and hours of satisfaction and rewarding flying fun.

Best wishes,

Dennis Kenyon. DAE 019. DA 049.