PDA

View Full Version : cpl/ir in Exeter

greekboy
27th Mar 2008, 14:49
hi all

Does anyone have any info on training in exeter for the cpl/ir(more specifically the local weather such as fog/visibilty) and the resulting length of time it took to do the ir and the cpl.

I can appreciate that every airfield location has its own pro/con when it comes to the weather, holding time,commercial traffic etc but I'm more interested in the weather compared to other fto's such as Bristol or Bournmouth.

thanx

gb

CABUS
27th Mar 2008, 15:06
Hi

I did my CPL in Exeter at AFT in three weeks and then the IR in 4 weeks with first time passes. I cannot reccomend Airways flight training enough they have a very small number of students at any one time giving a maximum of 2 students per instructor but more often one. I had great fun often flying twice a day and a few times I was on the early slot flying, then in the sim after lunch then the evening slot flying. Also the instructors have a wealth of experience some being retired training Capt's, one retired harrier instructor who knows the CPL inside out and all of the intructors have seen it before.

With regards such as holding time, it is minimal the controllers understand the expense and it is not extremly busy airport. Not once was I forced to enter the holding pattern on an approach for a direct ILS or NDB. It was also easy to get slots of the EX as we were the local school, it is also worth remembering that the Exeter's approaches are very tough and when you fly afar they seem much easier. When I was on the CPL and ME I had to orbit a few times downwind but this was rare and often we were squeezed in between ILS traffic. I had no real problems with weather, if it was bad wx we were just sent into the sim or taken aside for theory chat or sometimes a late start and finish planned.

If you need to know anything else feel free to PM me:ok:
CAB

Joffyh
27th Mar 2008, 17:04
My partner completed the CPL/IR at AFT and also says it's fantastic. Highly recommended.

greekboy
27th Mar 2008, 18:56
Hi all

Thanx for your input guys. I suppose 4 weeks is really good for the IR ,being in the UK weather and all. Might pick your brains a little closer to the time regarding preparation,accomodation etc.

thanx :ok:

gb