PDA

View Full Version : A Quick Licence Question...

jb2_86_uk
26th Mar 2008, 20:38
Hi gang.

As Ive mentioned in a couple of other threads, I am due to start with cabair in July. I just have a quicky about licences...

As an ab-initio student, I had assumed that a PPL would be the first flying milestone accomplished on the course, but after reading through the cabair literature again, there is no mention of the PPL. Just VFR work in a pa-28.

Providing I successfully complete the course I would have CPL/IR & MCC.

Now for my question: If in my free time I wanted to rent a small plane for a few hours, for a day or whatever, would my CPL grant me that priveledge? or would I still need to aquire a PPL?

My sincere apologies if this topic has already been covered, but I have done a search and couldnt find anything.

I appreciate any informative responces :)

JB

PAJ
26th Mar 2008, 20:46
You can do that no problems on the CPL but there are a few considerations. Firstly, I think Cabair do their CPL skills testing on the multi, so that would give you an MEP class rating on the licence, and to go back to flying a PA28, you will need an SEP class rating which you will have to do a few hours training and a mini flight test for. Once you have this in place, you need to condider currency on type before going up. Some flying clubs might require a certain number of hours in the preceding 90 days for you to be able to go up solo. So, bottom line is there are no problems hiring out light aircraft on the CPL as long as you are suitably qualified and current.

nick14
26th Mar 2008, 21:09
Also you will only be able to rent at the end of your course (if carrying pax) as you need to hold your licence in ure hand and carry with you, otherwise you might be able to rent solo as a student.

Nick

jb2_86_uk
27th Mar 2008, 07:30
Thanks for the replies guys.

PAJ thats a good point about multi-engine and single engine experience.

nick, I am talking about waaaay into the future. I can barely keep fuel in my car's tank at the moment, nevermind renting a plane and going cloud bashing!

Thanks again guys you have answered my question quite comprehensively! :ok:

JB