PDA

View Full Version : What equipment is needed for the ATPL

VFR Transit
26th Mar 2008, 15:26
I have equipment from my PPL (A) course but what other equipment do i need to complete my ATPL for example CRP-5 etc etc.

Are there ant special equipment needed for the ATPL Ground School and practical flying?

Hope you can help.

VFR

Dane-Ger
26th Mar 2008, 15:36
The list I got from CATS when I enrolled was as follows

- crp-5
- Jeppesen student pilot route manual
- compasses
- dividers
- protractor
- scientific calculator

regards D-G

p.s. this list is only for ground school

VFR Transit
26th Mar 2008, 15:42
The list I got from CATS when I enrolled was as follows

- crp-5
- Jeppesen student pilot route manual
- compasses
- dividers
- protractor
- scientific calculator

regards D-G

p.s. this list is only for ground school

Thanks D-G

I have Compasses / Dividers / Protractor for the PPL are these special ones or just normal

VFR

maxdrypower
26th Mar 2008, 19:17
They will be adequate . If you have the CRP5 already then your good to go , if you have the CRP1 then your not , That cant be used for ATPLs .Everything else like route manuals , subject manuals etc etc will be provided by your training organisation . But you may need notepads pens lumoclours all that sort of stuff , your gonna go through a lot of paper

VFR Transit
26th Mar 2008, 19:32
Hi Maxdrypower

Thanks for your input, I do have a CRP-5 so guess that i am all set to go. There are some CAA CAP manuals needed for the ATPL, like weight and balance etc etc, Any chance that you know which ones i will be issued with?

Thanks
Craig

maxdrypower
26th Mar 2008, 19:36
Yeh man
CAP 696 CAA Loading manual
CAP 697 Flight Planning manual
And the Jeppesen en route manual.
All these will be part of the course material
if not go elsewhere

VFR Transit
26th Mar 2008, 19:49
Thanks Maxdrypower.

I am going with Oxford Aviation on the Waypoint Programme

Craig

maxdrypower
26th Mar 2008, 19:50
Yep they will give you everything you need and a sweet little uniform with epaulettes to show your not integrated , oops sorry that just snook out ehheheheheheheheh

VFR Transit
26th Mar 2008, 19:51
I have got to wear a uniform for Waypoint???

Craig

maxdrypower
26th Mar 2008, 19:57
Yeh , as far as Im aware all OAA students wear uniform , its part of the course cost though, someone will come on and answer that for you very shortly Im sure . Have you actually visited OAA?? Lot of money to invest if you havent . I have visited OAA and all the others, froma personal point of view I chose elsewhere as oxford didnt tick all my boxes . Im sure , in fact I know as the evidence speaks for itself that they are excellent at what they do , but make sure you research this to the n'th degree before you splash out

VFR Transit
26th Mar 2008, 20:01
Thats great advice thanks for that maxdrypower, what things do you think i should be looking for then when picking an FTO (i am new to this as you can tell)

Craig

maxdrypower
26th Mar 2008, 20:11
Do a search on here regarding the various schools and see what the lie of the land is . You will get a thousand opinions all will be different . email all the schools and get their literature . compare costs (all costs) Expensive is not always best , but by the same token beware the cheapies, remember to take into account cost of living , accomodation etc . At OAA for example the only accom cost included is time spent in the USA.
Then visit each school in turn and compare them .It comes down to personal choice , some have excellent marketing , others have a ,you get what you see policy . Do whatever suits you best . I know many pilots and there are many on here who will tell you they didnt train at a big expensive school and they have jobs . At the end of the day the employability factor comes down to you and you alone . no one except maybe CTC are gonna place you in a job , and if you get on CTC you will work bloody hard for it .
Its a personal choice matey , dont believe the hype an do what suits you best .
That is my honest personal opinion .
But do a search and ompile a list of questions you want answered and take it from there
good luck

VFR Transit
26th Mar 2008, 20:20
Excellent information Maxdrypower

Your help has been fantastic.

Thanks
Craig

Whirlygig
26th Mar 2008, 20:26
There's another CAP 69something for Performance (I'm helicopter so didn't need it). I believe they are all downloadable.

One thing we found useful in order to read the graphs in these manuals were strips. Simply made from overhead transparency plastic, cut into a long inch-wide strip with a straight line (in contrasting colour e.g. red, green etc) ruled on it with permanent pen.

Use these on the graphs to avoid pencil marks when you're reading off the graphs.

Cheers

Whirls

maxdrypower
26th Mar 2008, 21:48
Sorry Whirls , you are right , I just havent got as far as performance yet so wasnt aware of th further cap
cheers

VFR Transit
26th Mar 2008, 22:07
I think it is CAP 698???

Craig

paco
27th Mar 2008, 08:12
Thats for FW - it's CAP 758 for rotary which is nearly ready for publication - but then, Whirls won't need it soon, eh? :)

phil