PDA

View Full Version : Blues on 1st April?

stickmonkeytamer
26th Mar 2008, 12:46
I've heard a rumour (never a good way to start!) about an e-mail stating that EVERYONE who is not actually flying or on Ops on 1st April is directed by CAS to wear blues. Can anyone substantiate this/ clarify why? Is it to see if blues still fit us???

SMT

airborne_artist
26th Mar 2008, 12:50
Your rumour is correct as far as it goes, but the bit missing is that you all have to meet here (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Peterborough,+UK&ie=UTF8&ll=52.569125,-0.244231&spn=0.011842,0.029182&z=15) for a bimble at 12.00.

Wrathmonk
26th Mar 2008, 13:19
Think you'll find that those that have the pleasure of working in the Monastry of Defiance Main Building will not only be in 'blues' for the whole day but also will be in No 1s to watch the flypast down the Thames. Now, given that some of the incumbants have worked in MB since Pontious was undergoing pilot training we may see a re-appearance of hairy jackets, collarless shirts and thunderbird jackets (PM BEagle if you want an explanation of these wonderful examples of uniform!:E)

mad_collie
26th Mar 2008, 13:19
I've heard a rumour (never a good way to start!) about an e-mail stating that EVERYONE who is not actually flying or on Ops on 1st April is directed by CAS to wear blues. Can anyone substantiate this/ clarify why? Is it to see if blues still fit us???

SMT

Because it's the 90th anniversary, and CAS has said so??;)

stickmonkeytamer
26th Mar 2008, 13:33
To me, it sounds too similar to DPM Thursday that used to happen at Cottesmore, until Andy Golledge saw sense!

SMT

Roland Pulfrew
26th Mar 2008, 13:46
Think you'll find that those that have the pleasure of working in the Monastry of Defiance Main Building will not only be in 'blues' for the whole day

Could this be the start of a return to uniform, full time, for those in the Ivory Towers? I do hope so.....:E

Double Zero
26th Mar 2008, 14:11
When Glen Ford, the veteran astronaut turned Senator, was taken up again in the shuttle, a chap on the radio said - " when he lands, everyone wear monkey outfits - pass it on ! "

minigundiplomat
26th Mar 2008, 14:28
CAS knows how to address the pressing issues. Pity he seems to be doing the reverse!

SaddamsLoveChild
26th Mar 2008, 14:36
I think its a good idea and personally applaud the sentiment, it may serve to remind the civil serpents that we arent all tea boys and are part of an organisation that at least strives to be a pillar of 'Great Britain'. I wonder what the security implications of senior officers on the tube wearing medals will be, we should be proud to wear our uniforms in such places and it should be our right to do so without fear of abuse.

Good idea - but I expect this will be shabbily executed by overweight people, wearing ill fitting out of date uniforms and pilloried by the other 2 services for looking like a shower of sheite.;)

Gnd
26th Mar 2008, 15:40
I don't have any blues, contrary to popular belief, this site is not all for the RAF even if they do think they are the most important (well their head sheds doo). Maybe I could be in black and mourn the death of the forces as we knew them??

High_lander
26th Mar 2008, 18:33
I believe its blues without hats from what I've read.

Double Zero
26th Mar 2008, 18:33
BigBlueCar,

yes of course you're right, John Glenn.

The monkey outfits might still be an idea for most with a plasma screen at Whitehall / Westminster...

ranger703
26th Mar 2008, 18:49
Blues will be fun if I get stuck crossing the beach or travelling through the dunes and have to dig myself out to get to work next Tuesday!

Hill Walker
26th Mar 2008, 19:46
Best get looking...

SirToppamHat
26th Mar 2008, 19:55
ranger 73
Blues will be fun if I get stuck crossing the beach or travelling through the dunes and have to dig myself out to get to work next Tuesday!

Which part of Scotland are you in???! ;)

STH

ranger703
26th Mar 2008, 20:37
Well next Tuesday I'll be in the far NW watching over a certain 'mental' course!

Whenurhappy
26th Mar 2008, 21:23
The original advice from AMP was for No 2s to be worn (ie ill-fitting v-necked ribbed jersies - well, mine is!). A colleague in town expressed horror of wearing a jersey to work - whereas civilian attire is a suit. At least sense and style has come to the fore with No 1s being worn. I, for one, will be extremely proud to wear it on the Northern Line!

snowball1
26th Mar 2008, 21:26
Will the CAS be wearing his jumper thats not uniform any more? The old smooth type one from a few years ago.

Wrathmonk
26th Mar 2008, 21:59
Whenurhappy

Then I guess you'll be the only one judging by the number of suit carriers that are appearing at MB on a daily basis!

As I understand it No 1s are only required for the "party" part, otherwise No 2s (which means you could wear no tie and a short sleeve shirt rather than a scabby woolly pully ....). With any luck it will be 80 degrees just to see who has to hide the fact they can't do up their trousers under a woolly pully....:E

Shiney Pencil
26th Mar 2008, 22:16
Everbody is encouraged to wear Blues (No2s) on 1st April, for those that are attending the MOD fly past its No1s no hats. Its not hard!

minigundiplomat
26th Mar 2008, 22:19
Everbody is encouraged to wear Bules

Its not hard!

Not like spelling then?

ZH875
26th Mar 2008, 22:21
Its not hard!

Maybe this will help: :E

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/graphics/2008/03/26/nbikini126.jpg

Shiney Pencil
26th Mar 2008, 22:22
Was from that area but not from that certian station. If you actually read the note that came from AMP everyone is encouraged where possible.

Union Jack
26th Mar 2008, 23:58
Sounds like a good day for a good laugh!

Jack

Gainesy
27th Mar 2008, 08:28
Blues without hats? Why?
(Visions of countless SWOs achieving max revs in their graves).

spheroid
27th Mar 2008, 17:36
Oh how we laughed.......

Only the crabs could start a thread about having to wear uniform at work....

ricardian
27th Mar 2008, 21:40
...given that some of the incumbants have worked in MB since Pontious was undergoing pilot training we may see a re-appearance of hairy jackets, collarless shirts and thunderbird jackets

I wonder if anyone will be wearing "stockings, footless"?

buoy15
27th Mar 2008, 23:51
To the uniniciated, it is the anniversary of the formation of the RAF, demise of the RFC, and the bastardisation of the NAS - which, surprisingly, coincides with the Lady CAS's birthday, wedding anni - pre menstrual something lipo-suction day, and she's getting a Blue Rinse for the WRI Village fete raffle - so it would be a good idea to get all the chaps out in blues as well - spiffing good idea what! Rah! says CAS - and so say all of us:8

NP20
28th Mar 2008, 04:57
I'm not strictly an ex RAF type, just on a career break while my wife continues to serve outside the UK (ACOS Manning gave me 3 years off to accompany her :ok:). So come 1 Apr I'll be wearing my RAF tie to work, just as I used to do every Thu during my time at the MOD.

Per Ardua etc etc...

sirsaltyhelmet
28th Mar 2008, 05:22
April 1st eh? Before noon?

NP20
28th Mar 2008, 05:34
SSH,

Certainly before 1200 PT and probably after, subject to the temperature staying below 80F...

NP20

BluntM8
1st Apr 2008, 17:29
Well, I dug out my blues. Gave them a quick press, popped them on and wandered across to work, happy in the knowledge that any civilian I encountered between the back door of the OM and the Sqn would imbued with a greater sense of respect and pride in our service as a direct consequence of my actions.

Well. Seems I was the only one. The rest of the Sqn were in the usual array of manky growbags.

Makes me glad I only ironed the front of my shirt, and gaffed off bulling my shoes altogether....

Whenurhappy
1st Apr 2008, 17:37
Well, it was a spiffing get-together in the Embankment Gardens - with a flypast as well. Most people enjoyed getting together and seeing long-lost colleagues and quite a few were seen cutting about around town, off for a nice lunch to soak up the free fiz. A nice day for a nice occasion - and interesting to see , judging by the medals, how few REMFs there are about.

BluntM8
1st Apr 2008, 17:38
I'm ashamed to say I did....

But I got the one about Greyhounds on Ice.

(After somebody explained it to me.)

buoy15
1st Apr 2008, 21:43
Whenurhappy
Obviously heading back to the sandpit shortly then?

Thought not - you tosser:8