PDA

View Full Version : 1st April 1918

Mike Read
26th Mar 2008, 09:41
Has anyone in the RAF thought about next Tuesday? The way things seem to be going, in ten years time we may not even have an air force.

01/04/1968, the fiftieth anniversary, 229 OCU Chivenor's finest took to the air in a massed 5 sec pairs stream take off of Hunters and Meteors ( I flew one of the Meteors, so was "sucking the hind t*t ) It was very impressive, and not a little exciting, from my position. We then formed up and flag waved over Plymouth, Exeter and Barnstaple. No doubt other units did similar things. Their Airships had made no official plans which prompted Al Pollock to wave his own flag under Tower Bridge. Not that one could expect that kind of thing now as it might give a part time secretary of state a heart attack.

But it will be a pity if the 90th anniversary passes unnoticed by the Great British Public.

Wrathmonk
26th Mar 2008, 09:54
Clicky (http://www.raf.mod.uk/news/index.cfm?storyid=CCA67B98-1143-EC82-2E89A277AD340ED3)

As it involves the Reds and Typhoon I expect this thread to degenerate fairly quickly .....;)

Mick Strigg
26th Mar 2008, 10:13
Come on, the RAF was the only April Fools joke that didn't finish at midday! Why would you want to celebrate that?

(Ready for a tirade of abuse!)

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
26th Mar 2008, 10:35
If it was an extended joke, I think we should be very grateful to the pranksters. Had the Service air arms not been so organised at the end of the 1st lot, the outcome of the 2nd lot may well have been somewhat different. Would this Forum exist and, if it did, would most of it be conducted in German?

ZH875
26th Mar 2008, 10:45
Die Royal Air Force ist, kann nicht unter den größten in der Welt, auch nicht die besten, aber ist bei weitem die meisten professionellen.

ZH875
26th Mar 2008, 10:52
Und vergessen Sie nicht, die Ingenieure und sonstige Personen.

Wenn man bedenkt, dass 1945 unser Weg ging, geht es zurück ins Englische.

Let's hope we manage to get to 100, if a loser like Beckham can get 100 caps, then the RAF deserves a century.

Strictly Jungly
26th Mar 2008, 11:02
Happy Anniversary!:D
I think it should be celebrated. It is a notable milestone after all.
Here is to the next 90 years...........and beyond.

Thank heavens for the Russian Revolution or you wouldnt be wearing that particular dashing uniform today..............

Please no more German.............everyone knows twas the RN that won the Battle of Britain!!!!!
SJ

doubledolphins
26th Mar 2008, 11:39
All Air Forces will be regarded as a blip in history confined to the 20th and early part of the 21st Century. Have you ever watched Star Treck? Do they all hurtle around at warp speed in "Star Aeroplanes" named Spitfire and Mustang? Was Mr Spock a Squadron Leader or a Major? Does Captain, not Group Captain or Colonel, Kirk become an Air, or even Space, Marshal? I don't think so.

Also, why did the big bad monster in the Dr Who Xmas special before last look like a big ugly Crab?

OK, OK, I'll admit it I'm upset because then RN does not have a Birthday. But some of us who are now part time did have a hell of a bash for the RNVR centenery. So go on Junior have a great party. You have earned it.:ok:

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
26th Mar 2008, 11:48
Well Torchwood, at least, is commanded by a rather Walty Group Captain!

ZH875
26th Mar 2008, 11:50
Have you ever watched Star Treck? Do they all hurtle around at warp speed in "Star Aeroplanes" named Spitfire and Mustang?

No, they hurtle round in 'Enterprise' http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v604/ZH875/Enterprise.jpg

Just another 'Enterprise' http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v604/ZH875/ov-101_2jtb.jpg

But what is in a name, at least these two 'Enterprise' craft have two thing in common, neither has flown on its own engines, nor in space.

Trekkies deserve to be in the firing line just behind Gordon Brown.

Mick Strigg
26th Mar 2008, 12:05
DD, the RN celebrated T200 very well and IS celebrating a birthday next year with FLY NAVY 100 - 100 years of Naval Aviation.

doubledolphins
26th Mar 2008, 12:34
Dear Mick, T200 was not a Birthday but it was rather good fun wasn't it. As was Submarine 100, a real birthday! Just wondering why fly Navy 100 is next year reading the preceding post?

As for "Captain" Jack. He was only a Squadron Leader when we first met him. Called him self "captain" though. Funny old thing that. (My kids keep me informed on these matters you understand.) :\

mstjbrown
26th Mar 2008, 12:45
Strictly Jungly

I hadn't realised that the Poles joined the Fleet Air Arm !

MB

Double Zero
26th Mar 2008, 12:58
GBZ, YOU Vill go on ze list - vot is your name ?

EOSM37, You would find in Star Trek at various stages there are ' Starfleet' ships named ' Hood ' ' Repulse ', 'Renown ' & ' Defiant ', though I admit there's also a ' Yamato ' ( not noticed any German names ) and in the actual ( last ) series ' Enterprise ' the opening credits depict in the evolution of ships / air & space craft a galleon named 'HMS Enterprize' ( sic ) and the weapons officer is portayed as British, from a Royal Navy career.

If that makes me a Trekkie so be it, I'm half Scottish too - just don't dare relate me to Gordon Brown !

The only thing worse than that would be to be linked with Thatcher, beloved of many Ppruners I know but they must have short memories - the defence cuts really started to bite with her, and only the Argentinians saved the Invincible from being sold off - she also vetoed ( excuse the pun ) the British P1216 supersonic V-STOL project which made the JSF look like a Tiger Moth, and along the way did more to ruin UK Ltd manufacturing than Goering could have dreamed of.

I think a 90th Anniversary flypast could - and should - still be managed,

we have Typhoons, F3's & Hawks around don't we ?

As a point aside, I believe the FAA should also be commerorated, or would that be a bit of a sick joke as things stand?...

KAPLA !

Strictly Jungly
26th Mar 2008, 13:23
EOSM37,
RE: BoB.

Please lighten up............. you certainly don't need to tell me about other services contributions................ it's called inter-service banter.

You should climb into a pulpit with this;

"Surely it was the bravery and sacrifice of all members of the armed forces during this dark period in our history that contributed to our survival. While you all revel in semantic debate, it is an overriding fact that each service has a role to play in any conflict, but surely it is the sum total of their efforts that warrants acknowledgement. The Royal Air Force performed magnificently and their veterans are justifiably proud of what they did; today's military personnel should all share that pride as part of their heritage."

I will file it under "missed the point" or "stating the obvious".

DD
Re: Star Trek

You can tell that that series is set in the future................as there are no muslims in the crew.................
SJ

Double Zero
26th Mar 2008, 13:59
Amen to that !!! No Jehova's witnesses or Mormons etc knocking on the airlock either !

In fact the original creator, Gene Roddenbury - B-17 pilot - was emphatic there should be no religeon at all ( or money, just barter/trade - truly Euphoria ) and it's reckoned he would have been horrified when such things were mentioned in later spin offs such as 'Deep Space 9' etc ...

To get back on thread, I had formed the impression the Reds are out of the country for quite a while, no doubt another sales tour for BAe - wonder if a Mk100 or 200 series might appear as well at stages?!

As a last comment on Star Trek, I could not help laughing out loud when I heard the late James Doohan - who played ' Scottie ' ( " the engines cannae take any more captain ! " ) had requested his ashes be fired into space by a rocket - it was held up by engine trouble, I hope he looked down and enjoyed that one !

Mick Strigg
27th Mar 2008, 10:01
DD et al, the RNAS may have formed in 1908, but it did not take delivery of its first flying machine (an Airship) until 1909, hence the Fly Navy 100 (100 years of Naval Aviation) celebrations next year rather than this.

Remember, "Pilot" and "Navigator" were nautical professions a long time before aviation came along. Furthermore, why do you think we have an aircraft "Captain"?

We have the Royal Navy to thank for the establishment of military aviation in this country and thus worldwide, so let us all celebrate that fact next year.

GreenKnight121
28th Mar 2008, 00:06
We have the Royal Navy to thank for the establishment of military aviation in this country and thus worldwide, so let us all celebrate that fact next year.

Parallel development, yes. Responsible for USN/US Army aviation? NO.

The USN had been looking at aviation since 1898, when Asst SecNav Theodore Roosevelt ordered the USN to join the US Army in evaluating Samuel Langley's flying machine.

They both continued to evaluate aircraft, including the Wright Flyer in 1908, and the USN sent officers to the Rheims Aviation Meet in 1909.

On 26 September 1910, the USN formed its first aviation department (albeit a small one).

In November 1910 & January 1911, the USN arranged the flights of Eugene Ely, the first take-offs & landings of a heavier-than-air craft from a ship ever.

Flight training of USN officers began with Lt. Theodore Ellyson in December 1910 and Lt. John Rodgers in March 1911.

The USN purchased its first aircraft on 8 May 1911.

The USN sponsored & assisted in Glen Curtis' development of his "hydroaeroplane" (floatplane) during 1911.

http://www.history.navy.mil/download/history/part01.pdf

doubledolphins
28th Mar 2008, 16:39
Baloons were first used by the French at the Battle of Fleurus in 1794, the year a fictional Mid Hornblower joined the RN. Gene Roddenbury liked the stories so much he modled Kirk and Spock on Hornblower and Bush.Though it is fair to say that Pickard and Riker are more like them. DZ I think there may have been a "Bismark". OMG ,I just googled "star ship names", I wish I hadn't.:O