PDA

View Full Version : Low level mid - southern atlantic winds

compressor stall
26th Mar 2008, 02:39
Hi all,

Can someone please suggest a website/resource where I might find some historical wind charts/data of the Atlantic Ocean covering a flight from West Africa to Brazil below say FL150 in September?

Thanks in advance.

CS

enicalyth
26th Mar 2008, 07:39
G'Day Stallie

This falls bang in the remit of the Met boys on Ascension Island. You need their number, er I've forgotten, but Cable and Wireless enquiries Tel: +247 6721 [yup, that short a number] will get you an operator. The US guys I think answer to Pope AFB and tho' very personable and polite may not be helpful. The UK met boys are still there and Ariane subcontract to C&W although their info is commercially sensitive. [Both US and Ariane monitor the downwind ranges of their repective launchpads in Florida and Kourou]. If it is statistical and historical data you require I can send you a disk that may be helpful. The data is statistical and not a collation of observations. For example Freetown-> Ascension and Ascension->Recife are covered with the winds and temperatures to be expected for the level of significance you require e.g. 50%, 85%, whatever. For routes not covered in the tables you have to get the CX-2 out and do a bit of equation solving. For pressure altitudes "in between the piano keys" any interpolation formula works well, you can download a good one from NACO for example.

Best Rgds

The "e"

PS: A genial way to find a met person is to obtain from above operator the number of the Mountain View Club and or Two Boats Club. Usually someone in the MV Club 1200-1300 for lunch or 1900-?? relaxing. Beats ringing ops!

compressor stall
28th Mar 2008, 07:19
Thanks E!

Check PMs.

enicalyth
29th Mar 2008, 11:56
G'Day Stallie!

A pleasure always doing business with you. When they made you the threw the mould away. They tried that when I was born but it keeps growing back [groan].

I have sent a PM but I ought to add that I will sling in some current plates now that I know a bit more.

An e-wave is added from KO Sally who has very fond memories of our times in one of your intended stops. For me too the magic will never vanish.

Best Rgds

The extended and growing "E" family reigns