PDA

View Full Version : F.A.A. Wants Stoplights Added to Runways

Mark in CA
25th Mar 2008, 22:56
The Federal Aviation Administration will add a runway version of traffic signals at 20 busy airports in the next three and a half years, the agency said Monday. The signals are part of a program to keep taxiing airplanes or vehicles from intruding on runways where other planes are taking off and landing.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/26/business/26runway.html

AirRabbit
26th Mar 2008, 00:18
The Federal Aviation Administration will add a runway version of traffic signals at 20 busy airports in the next three and a half years, the agency said Monday. The signals are part of a program to keep taxiing airplanes or vehicles from intruding on runways where other planes are taking off and landing.
The system will have a computer that determines when a runway is in use, and then turns on red lights embedded in the pavement at each intersection. Thus it would help address errors by pilots and by controllers at the 20 airports, which include Kennedy International Airport and Newark Liberty International Airport but not La Guardia Airport.
Far be it from me to be the first to sound skeptical, but am I the only one who looks at a "Stoplight-embedded-in-the-pavement-that-is-activated-by-a-computer-when-the-computer-determines-the-runway-is-'in-use'-for-takeoffs-and-landings" being THE answer to runway incursions with a VERY cynical eye?

MarkerInbound
26th Mar 2008, 00:53
They never say but they're probably talking about the Runway Status Light System. RSLS has been tested on 18L-36R at DFW for over two years and also at San Diego. I've heard they're going to install it over on the east side of DFW this fall.

powerstall
26th Mar 2008, 00:55
will it include a yield and caution light? how about add another one like a pedestrian crossing sign to finish it off...:ugh:

MarkerInbound
26th Mar 2008, 01:39
Here's the link to the program:

http://rwsl.ll.mit.edu/

Speedbird48
26th Mar 2008, 15:50
And, what exactly was wrong with the "STOP BARS" installed at London(LHR) Heathrow in the late 1950's??? Should I also mention the "GREEN's" that took you to the runway as well!!

Perhaps, "NOT MADE HERE", or not invented by US!!!

Why, oh, why do we take so long to learn???

Robert Campbell
26th Mar 2008, 16:02
I hear that the FAA is also considering stationing inspectors on motorcycles at the intersections to chase down violators.

DutchBird-757
26th Mar 2008, 16:12
Why not add a speedcamera here and there as well. :D

Robert Campbell
26th Mar 2008, 16:56
Won't work! The airlines will complain about the new requirement for registration numbers on the nose each plane.

TQ
30th Mar 2008, 13:18
I suggest a roundabout.

Union Jack
30th Mar 2008, 13:34
Will a right turn on red be permitted if nothing appears to be coming from the left?:)

Jack

Spitoon
30th Mar 2008, 15:06
Speaking as an airport controller, and in spite of the amusing comments, if this system can reduce the risk of runway incursions then I'm all for it. But....

There are some well established systems for indicating that an aircraft can enter the runway but this new system uses something different. But I'm a Brit and I think that the system we use works well and is safe (and, as far as I know, meets ICAO SARPs).

More importantly, this system, like others designed to automatically monitor runway occupancy is likely to suffer difficulties in providing an alert when it's necessary and not when it isn't. A-SMGCS systems have been under development for years to do just this - they're getting better but they are not by any means foolproof, but at least they only provide an alert to ATC who can make a reasoned decision about whether it is 'real'. If these false alerts are visible to all and are not filtered out by the system, confidence in the information provided will soon become undermined.

The other concern that I have is that it only works when something has gone wrong (i.e. an aircraft crosses a hold when another aircraft is using the runway) and so does not reinforce good behaviours like NEVER CROSS A RED STOPBAR. It may even be seen by some as a safety net that will protect them and so may not query an instruction that was not completely clear.

tec3
30th Mar 2008, 16:40
Beware, Airfield Op's have been carring speed camera's in their vehicles for some time now !!