PDA

View Full Version : RAF References

814man
25th Mar 2008, 21:45
Been out of RAF for nearly 5 years now working in the NHS but am currently applying for new post. The application requirements are to provide details of last 2 employers and provide last 2 line managers as references. Current one is of course no problem, but my last OC in the RAF is a bit more difficult as I have no idea where he is (or if he's even still serving) or how to contact him. Is there some sort of protocol here or an address at an HQ (Innsworth?)that I can give who will deal with and pass on such enquiries?

Riskman
25th Mar 2008, 22:32

Are you applying for a new post at the same place (within the same Trust), or a new job elsewhere?

I ask because I had a friend at Addenbrookes asking for a reference a couple of months ago and the circumstances sound very similar. It transpired that the same application forms are used for internal as well as external job applications so my input wasn't required.

Otherwise your discharge docs or valedictory letter will have to do.

Good luck

814man
25th Mar 2008, 22:45
Riskman
No I'm actually hoping to move from a PCT to the nearby hospital trust.
I guess that I can always go back to the discharge write up as a last resort, although my current trust has refrences on file from the last 2 OCs I understand that the NHS require them to be recently dated.

Cpl Plod
26th Mar 2008, 20:23

Check PMs Mate

johnny99
26th Mar 2008, 21:22
References PMA
Posted this on a previous thread. If anyone knows post name of current post titles down at HQSTC (or whatever it is called now) then I'd be grateful for the update - I'm in similar position regarding need for references.

As an aside - I'm now in education and rest assured that I'm doing my utmost to ensure that the military profile remains high on the radar of the youngsters. The recent announcement by The NUT and year ago in Scotland by the EIS about restricting mil access to schools is sickening to say the least. So if your stn gets a call about supporting a school visit then please look kindly on the request. Equally, if you have any ideas on how a stn or sqn could support a project (science or technology related) then I'd be grateful for ideas. I'd been thinking about the possibility of something to explore telecommunications (3rd year Physics) - get the kids talking to crews over say an HF Ham radio or similar - don't know if that would be possible (technically or procedurally). Anyway whatever happens, I’m still selling the RAF to the kids as one of the best opportunities they could ever consider - leisure clothing design aside!

tdk90,

The instructions below regarding references was provided in a booklet “Making the Change” given to me on my recent discharge (12 months ago). Although the booklet still refers to the old appointments at PMA Innsworth I have been told by the PSF clerks that the internal mail will redirect to appropriate post/location. If I find the current post titles, telecom contacts etc I’ll pass these on – in the meantime you may wish to try those given below:

Airmen: references can be provided directly to prospective employers by MPA 1M1b, Room 5, Building 248a, RAF Gloucester, GL3 1EZ.

Officers: References can be provided by PMA1M1d (the remainder of the address as above).

“It is emphasised that references or confirmation of RAF employment cannot be supplied to prospective employers without a signed copy of the Authority for Disclosure or some similar form of written consent”.