PDA

View Full Version : Just a few questions about general pilot training

kurt2591
25th Mar 2008, 13:31
I'm doing my A'levels in Maths and Physics and I just have a couple of questions about pilot training in general. Until now, i have no flying experience at all but i am VERY interested in becoming a pilot and have always loved everything to do with aircraft and aviation in general.
lately i've been doing a lot of research about flying schools and where to go to become a pilot.
i'm very keen to apply at oaa but i have a some questions. if people could give me any sort of advice it would be appreciated ;)

1. would the foundation degree in air transport managament that oaa is offering be enough to stand a good chance of getting a job with an airline?
2. does anyone suggest i should also apply for NJE, if i were to be accepted into oaa?
3. i have researched about the flying school in Jerez, does anyone have personal experience concerning the school?
4. does anyone suggest i do a uni course before i apply for oaa? if so, which course?

sorry for all these questions but i need to get some things straight! hehe
thanks in advance!
kurt2591

planecrazy.eu
25th Mar 2008, 14:28
I would say...

- Going to Uni and getting a degree is more about a fall back plan, it also gives you time to develop your personality and life skills. But there is nothing to show a degree helps get the job.

- Doing you A-Levels is great, most the airline sponsored schemes ask for them, and doing your A-Levels will help with some of the selection tests.

I think the most important thing to do is to get a Medical. Dont spend ages getting your hopes up, when you cant pass the medical, its wastes time, money and you end up wanting to be a pilot more as you cant be one.

No flying experience is no problems, some schools like this as you start from fresh there way.

You also need a great deal of cash for a majority of schemes, some help you get a loan, but most are secured, and the ones that arn't require a fail deal of personal contribution. Some schemes dont include food, a place to stay, exams and retake fees.

kurt2591
25th Mar 2008, 15:18
thanks a lot! just another question, do you have any idea when i should send in my application? i mean how long before i intend starting the course? also, are there any specific places i need to go to gte my medical done?

HappyFran
25th Mar 2008, 15:40
To fly commercially you will need a Class 1.
The initial examination must be done at Gatwick
This link will tell you all you need to know

http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=49&pagetype=90&pageid=527

Good Luck :)

kurt2591
26th Mar 2008, 10:55
hey, thanks for the site! that really helps :ok: