PDA

View Full Version : OMNI aviation philippines

Don Vito
25th Mar 2008, 10:54
can anyone give me feedback on this school. im planning to take up aviation after i graduate from college.

PAL is not an option because they dont accept students with glasses.
Clark aviation is also not an option coz i've been hearing negative feedback on this school and the P4M tuition is simply outrageous considering they havent proven anything yet. i've also learned that the MPL and the alpha planes are having problems with ATO.

im now thinking of going to OMNI. is this a good aviation school? what other schools would you recommend>

Smiling_Goat
27th Mar 2008, 02:42
I would like to second Don Vito in asking for some feedback re: Omni Aviation.

Someone in another thread mentioned that PAL won't start the application/screening process until October this year. I don't think I can wait that long anymore and I'm seriously considering going to Omni instead and taking the Gen Av Route.

Also, how about Air Link Aviation School?

jester_icarus
27th Mar 2008, 18:49
hey all..want to see which school is the best?

First check out their facilities and their aircraft.
How many aircraft they have available for training.
How many of those are IFR rated (after your PPL of course).
How many instructors are available (given that the airlines are hiring, there may not be enough qualified instructors around).

From previous experience of running a school i think the most important part of a school are the aircraft and instructor availabilities.

When shopping for a school, do it like you are shopping for a big item ...carefully make sure that the product you will be buying is in good condition.

And when you decide which school you want to fly in dont put all your money at once. Make a gradual payment. Pay as you go. Some school will give discounts if you pre-purchase a certain amount of flight time instead of paying for each flight sessions. But be forewarned... even if you pay in advance to get a lower rate on the aircraft...availability way upset you when that aircraft is down for maintenace or other reasons..

Its your money..please do shop carefully.

ps...smiling goat..whats your budget...?

mplcadet
28th Mar 2008, 01:20
Don Vito,

Omni aviation is a good school, i am from Clark Av but our flying phase were subcontracted in Omni. Omni instructors are professional.

The owner himself came from an airline, so he really knows what he's doing, compared to other schools who just wants your money. But i guess, everybody will have different opinions on one thing, this is only mine.

Good luck to you bro!!! :ok:

Smiling_Goat
28th Mar 2008, 01:25
Thanks for the advice Sir!

The plan is to do exactly what you said, make gradual payments and pay as you go. The budget will (hopefully) be anywhere inside of what it would cost to go to PAL Aviation School, since that is the first choice.

I'm still in the initial stages of the search so all I have to go with for now is advice about flying schools from people like you and others in this forum who may have knowledge about which schools offer the best rates/packages etc. This is like making online research on the "big item" you want to buy before actually going out there and seeing it for yourself first hand.

Don Vito
28th Mar 2008, 07:41
@jester
thanks for the tips. im sure omni has enough trainer planes, they ordered 6 more cessnas. this is also an indicator that their student population is increasing.

@mplcadet
from what i've read, CA has their own planes. so why did you have to fly at omni?

@smiling goat
do you know how much PAL av charges for PPL, CPL and IFR? i inquired at omni and it costs P1.5M for the PPL, CPL and IFR.

Do you guys know any graduates of omni? i'd like to know how their aviation careers are doing. like what airlines do they work for.

i think schools are successful if their graduates are successful.

paolylo
28th Mar 2008, 14:39
@Don Vito

if i may answer why some cadets at CA fly at Omni when they have their own planes:

CA only has 4 R2120U's that cater to about 40 cadets who aren't subcontracted with Omni... with one full-time instructor at the moment (and you thought Filipino public school teachers work out of devotion).

:8

Passenger 07
28th Mar 2008, 21:58
A FTO is a complex machine:
Yes, you have to check plenty of data:

Ground School: quality of Groundies, Are they properly teaching or just giving answer to questions? You may think the most important is to pass through the exams. No, it is not... you have to get an aviation education and a solid background for a whole career. The exams are just an assessment. You should be able to answer any question relative to the syllabus and you must not be only prepared to answer the Question Bank of your Civil Aviation Authority. Later on, when you will try to join an Airlines, the missing knowledge will be quickly detected during your interviews and you will pay a high price on your career if you have underestimated the knowledge you must acquire.
On the Flying side, good instructors and the ratio "Students per instructor" are key elements. ICAO states that the OVERALL (considering students in the Ground School + in the Flying School) ratio must be 6 to 1. In fact, this ratio varies depending on the training phase. If you consider only the Flying School, training on a JAR syllabus, the ratio is approximately 3 to 1 during the PPL phase, 5 to 1 during the "Building Hours" phase and 2 to 1 during the ME/IR phase. Credentials of instructors have to be checked. Is the school utilising "Part Time" Flight Instructors? If yes, this is an important factor of non standardisation of the training and shows a low standard concept.
Maintenance is also a key factor. How many LAMES (Licensed Aircraft Maintenance Engineers)? How many mechanics? Is the scheduled maintenance properly planned? A visit of maintenance facilities is very instructing.
A modern training is using proper simulators devices fully agreed by the Civil Aviation Authority with proper visual systems (FNPT II, FBS....we discard gadgets like computer stations). But, if the performances of the simulators are an important factor, another key element is the quality of the Simulator instructors. How many simulators instructors?
Another key element is the proposed syllabus. The Civil Aviation Authority has to check that a minimum standard is proposed. But the Major schools are delivering a training which is -most of the time- more important than the basic requirements. Because, in serious FTOs, we are "educators" and not only "trainers" and we consider the knowledge which is required by our main customers, -Airlines-, and the evolution of modern technologies and not only the ad-minimum Regulations set by Authorities.
Finally the price is not the fundamental issue, on contrary. What,- if after spending a lot of money-, you are found " below the "Standard" and cannot enter in Airline? Maybe, the slim difference you have been reluctant to pay will cost you a lot all your life. What happens in India is a good example: thousands of students have flocked overseas, looking for the cheapest training. They come back home with a low standard CPL/IR and most of them fail the Airline Entry tests....Such a spoilage!!!
A serious FTO will always propose you a progressive payment in several instalments.If the FTO is managed by former Airline staff: generally they do know what is required as Entry Level of Ab-Initio cadets and they are fully aware of the Civil Aviation Culture, it is also a definitive plus.

Being an old instructor, which years of experience, this is my 10 cents in this thread

ubing
30th Mar 2008, 01:08
A couple of points to add. Check and ask around what kind of fuel the school is using. It has been a trend for flying schools to do a mix of AVgas / MOgas you would want to stay away those that mix it up or even worse us pure Mogas.

another helpful tip is to ask and check around the number of incidents / accidents the school has had. This will give you a very good insight on how well the institution is ran.

Passenger 07
30th Mar 2008, 01:40
Thanks Ubing for your add-in
I am not in the Philippines and MOGAS is not tolerated in most of Countries including where I am- because it is not a Certified Aviation Fuel, it can contain water in small quantity and impurities. MOGAS is not under the rigorous constraints of aviation fuel for checks and storage. UK-CAA has published information about utilisation of MOGAS and from their studies, it appears that in our tropical countries, the ambient temperature discards totally the use of MOGAS. More, I have heard about a school utilising MOGAS on Lycoming engines: the consequences were financially high: the valves are not appreciating this fuel, and they have to change the top heads at half normal life time.

More in Training we should apply the "transport Category" regulations which once more bans the utilisation of a non certified aviation fuel. The practice of using MOGAS should be condemned.

One accident may always happen in one school even the best ones, but the reasons of the accident have to be analysed sharply. But several incidents/accidents are certainly suspicious.

Don Vito
30th Mar 2008, 04:26
@paolylo
so thats 1 FI:40 cadets. no wonder their students are getting delayed.

@passenger07
thanks for the detailed info :ok: btw, what does "FTO" stand for? and since you're an experienced aviator, what school would you suggest for pilot wannabes aside from PAL av and CA?

jester_icarus
30th Mar 2008, 07:37
...dont limit yourselves to Flight Schools. Roam aorund the airport and make some friends. There maybe some private owners who flight train on the side. They dont have a flight school per say but do use private airplanes to instruct in. Books, curriculum are all available from Jeppssen. Self study is a littel more difficult..so alot of self motivation is a must. This will truly show your desire to fly.

Now of course if you chose this path you would have to be a self starter and very self motivated. Since there are no classroom you are on your own to self motivate to study and progress on the curriculum.

good luck..

"keep the blue side up"

Passenger 07
30th Mar 2008, 07:41
FTO stands for Flight Training Organisation and TRTO stand for Type Rating training Organisation
I do not know the exact situation of the Philippines Schools. I just try to help promoting a fair situation in SE Asia.
As I do not know the exact current situation in Philippines, I cannot advise you on a particular school.
Outside Philippines, I cannot advertise for a school because PPRUNE will ban me.
Another point is that I do not know in which conditions you can convert a Foreign licence in Philippines one.
If this conversion is easy, I can recommand you something. Check first how to convert an ICAO licence in Philippines one, then PM me.

paolylo
30th Mar 2008, 08:34
@Don Vito

we do have 8 more... it's just that one of them only works part-time during weekends as he is also an FI elsewhere and the ATO either hasn't released the R2120U ratings or finished check-riding the rest of our instructors.

Passenger 07
30th Mar 2008, 09:34
About what Jester Icarus suggests:
It is rare -but I know a couple of them-, some Airlines Instructors, aviation passionated, continue some activities in Flying Club in plus of their Airline activity. Yes if you are very lucky such a guy can train you and bring you to the required level.
Other Flight Instructors, with no Airlines experience and particularly no Ab Initio Cadet training experience, and not involved in a real professional FTO, have only a vague idea of the required standard. Beware of the Aeroclub or Airport Bar "aficionados".... they talk heavily but the truth is often not there....
I recommand strongly to be trained by proper professionals and not "amateurs".

For your information, in our professional FTO, during the recruitment procedure, we reject a majority of Instructor CVs after analysing their experience and the way they have gotten it. If they pass this first scrutinising phase, at the arrival in our FTO, they will have to face a question test, a simulator check. If they are declared OK, then they will have a "Standardisation" training (Around 10 days).
This kind of evaluation/procedure is typical of what is done in the best FTOs worldwide, and yes we can ensure that our cadets are going to be trained properly.
The Groundies are selected on reference through our relational network, then they will be checked: they have to be able to teach at least 3 topics at the JAR level and must be highly IT literate because they have to produce and update their training supports.

ubing
30th Mar 2008, 14:42
the all important gut check.

D2xs
31st Mar 2008, 13:43
hey ;) ...

hearing negatives about CA? .. hmmm ... why hearing .. why not makin sure about it?

if u are from the Philippines .. why not afford to pay a visit to CA?

and why not afford to pay a visit to omni?

good luck in ur training ;)

Don Vito
1st Apr 2008, 09:53
^because they will surely cover-up or deny any deficiencies they have :ok:

paolylo
2nd Apr 2008, 17:18
Don Vito, i do suggest you visit OMNI field where all of PAL Av, OMNI, and CA's planes are chocked. there's more credible info there when you speak to OMNI's staff since they'll give you their brochure compared to browsing their website or asking this pilot's rumors forum. i did visit OMNI a couple of years back when i was still looking for a flying school and it was very fruitful.

if you're at it... why not drive further along the main road and pay us a vist at CA just so you can confirm if our marketing staff will surely cover-up or deny our school's deficiencies? (they'll prolly tour you to the level D A320 full flight sim where the Cebu Pac pilots train... i dare you to ask how many CA cadets have used it) who knows? chances are you will meet cadet pilots who graduated from your college alma mater and tell you and your parents what they think about CA's program. :\

alpha12039
8th Apr 2008, 02:38
2 hurt as plane crashlands in Nueva Ecija rice field

By Anselmo Roque
Central Luzon Desk
First Posted 04:50pm (Mla time) 12/20/2007

CABANATUAN CITY, Philippines -- Two persons, one of them an Indian pilot, were hurt when their plane crashlanded in a rice field in Zaragoza, Nueva Ecija, on Thursday.
Police said the Indian pilot, Sandeen Kimmar, 30, and his co-pilot, Jeffrey Mabbang, 26, of Tarlac City, were taken to a hospital in nearby La Paz, Tarlac, and later transferred to the Central Luzon Doctors’ Hospital in Tarlac City.
Chief Inspector Restituto Reyes, Zaragoza police chief, said Kimmar’s two-seater Omni plane apparently experienced mechanical problems at about 10 a.m., forcing the pilot to make an emergency landing in Barangay (village) Valeriana, seven kilometers from Zaragoza town proper.
Zaragoza is some 30 kilometers west of this city.
Reyes said the plane left Clark air field in Pampanga earlier in the day for a routine training flight.
He said residents of Barangay Valeriana noticed the plane was circling several meters above the ground before it landed in the rice field.

Don Vito
8th Apr 2008, 03:15
wow that sucks. mechanical problems wouldnt happen if the plane is well maintained right?

was there any statement from omni regarding this?

vinciboy
8th Apr 2008, 06:49
do you know how much PAL av charges for PPL, CPL and IFR? i inquired at omni and it costs P1.5M for the PPL, CPL and IFR.

IFR for PAL costs around 400-500K, that's what I heard from other PAL Walk-in Students. Not sure with the complete package (PPL, CPL, IFR) with PAL.

Do you guys know any graduates of omni? i'd like to know how their aviation careers are doing. like what airlines do they work for.

I personally know one student who graduated from Omni now flying with PAL. There may be others who finished in Omni but I don't know them.

Given that there are CA cadets utilizing OMNI aircraft and FIs I would think a new student pilot will be fighting for a slot to fly since the owner is prioritizing CA cadets.

Base on what I've heard from my Omni Schoolmates, Omni students have scheduling priority over CA students. I haven't flown for a couple of months though.

If I may add, real SOLO X-Country is allowed in Omni given you were endorsed to fly solo by your instructor. Most schools in the Philippines will only allow you to go SOLO if you are doing TAGS in the pattern.

tOOT3r
8th Apr 2008, 07:06
Any cfi jobs at omni or Philippines? how much are they paid if tuition is almost the same as here in U.S?

ZFT
8th Apr 2008, 07:12
Don Vito,

wow that sucks. mechanical problems wouldnt happen if the plane is well maintained right?

Your comment is downright daft.

paolylo
8th Apr 2008, 07:51
not daft. just rhetorical to him at least. mechanical problems can happen even if the plane is well maintained. who knows? maybe the pilot flew with extra carbon deposits after doing an idle throttle check? maybe the mixture setting was too lean considering the outside temperature? could be a lot of things... could even be a pilot error and the pilot lived to tell that it was a mechanical problem.

the guys wearing sky blue overalls who do the maintenance for OMNI, PAL, CA, and the private planes (or choppers) chocked in the hangar do their jobs pretty well... if i needed to ask anything mechanical, they know what they're talking about.

Centurion_210
10th Apr 2008, 00:51
Do you guys know any graduates of omni? i'd like to know how their aviation careers are doing. like what airlines do they work for.--

I know some former F.I.s from Omni are already flying the airlines

From PAL they have one 747 Captain, one A320 FO, One A340 SO.
From Cebu Pacific Air I've heard some just finished ground schooling with the A320s and 19s.

From Asian Spirit one FO in BAE146, one FO in Dash 7 and another FO in CN235.

Just not sure how many are home grown, but they are progressing somehow.

Most of the students i know from last year are already licensed FIs and already teaching in different flying schools in the Philippines.

If some thinks Omni is prioritizing the few CIA students, imagine enrolling in a flying schools teaching bulks of Indian students and compete with their schedule.

In Omni there is a policy of 1 student one Instructor until you fly solo. You only need FI until you have your first solo and during first xcountry flights. When you get your PPL you can fly solo all you want to the routes you have been checked out.

Its the only flying school that allows students to fly solo as much as they want.

With regards to Ground Instructions almost all flying schools here in the Philippines do the same style. Let the Newbie teach to get the required teaching hours to get the license but "MUST BE SUPERVISED BY A LICENSED GROUND INSTRUCTOR"

My last suggestion is to try Airworks flying school in Manila owned by Capt Halili. Its pricey but worth it.

Centurion_210
10th Apr 2008, 01:18
With regards to accident statistics, Omni is blessed to have no fatal accidents so far. Many flying schools have their one share of accidents, lucky for some its not published in the news. Most accident happens due to negligence. Negligence in part of the mechanic can be prevented because Pilot do the final check. Its them who has the final say. Just be preventive and inspect the A/C thoroughly before you board and be aware of the situation at all times when airborne.

"There are OLD pilots and BOLD pilots, but There are no OLD BOLD pilots" :)

St. Ex
10th Apr 2008, 07:17
"that news paper article is the most fatal accident for OMNI"

You are funny pulizaido. How can it be the "most fatal accident" when there were no fatalities?

Don Vito
10th Apr 2008, 14:51
off topic:

can anyone tell me what the word "Daft" means?

jester_icarus
10th Apr 2008, 19:14
defination: daft

like daft-fy duck... foolish and crazy

Don Vito
11th Apr 2008, 12:41
thanks for all the info. im pretty much decided that im going to omni since 1) it costs much cheaper than PAL and CIA.(P1.5M for the PPL, CPL and IFR). last time i heard, PAL costs P2.5M for the ab-initio pilot program.

2) quality training. the increase in the number of students are a proof of this and besides the accident in december 2007, theres not much bad things to say about them. also, CIA wouldnt entrust their students to a low quality school. especially since they're shelling out P4M.

3) 1 student 1 instructor is great. although i doubt they could keep that up with all the students.

all i need to do now is secure an SPL from the ATO.

any tips for this? Omni accepts students with glasses, im not sure about ATO.

rq4globalhawk
11th Apr 2008, 14:25
" ... fatal accident for OMNI. the plane was a total write off, the indian student had stiches on his forehead, the safety pilot was burned badly (1st degree burns)"

The term "fatal accident" is used by the media, not in incident/accident reports.

The aircraft:

If it's a hull loss then it's an aircraft accident.

The crew members:

1. There were no fatalities, only injuries.
2. Stitches on forehead and 1st degree burns covering 5% or less of the body are not classified as serious injuries.

Ref.: ICAO Annex 13; NTSB Part 830

rq4globalhawk
12th Apr 2008, 01:46
"What is the point of your post? .. based on your definitions how will the ATO classify this? an accident or an incident? ... since no one died but the aircraft was a write-off how will this be treated?"

Thank you Alpha.

From the account I can see it's an aircraft accident. In an aircraft accident or incident, investigation reports list the number of fatalities (zero in this case) and injuries (two).

I am normally too busy to contribute in this forum, but what caught my attention is the term "fatal accident". I felt I ought to take time out to write something about this. I am separating the term "fatal" and "accident".

I wrote that the term "fatal accident" is used by news reporters. Now if a professional investigator used it in his report I stand corrected. We are careful about terms and check definitions.

It was my business to read accident/incident reports and investigate as well. It's not a pleasant task at all.

Good day to you gentlemen.

caloyburger
12th Apr 2008, 02:33
First post here, hello everyone!:)

Don Vito, I like you have done lots of research on flying schools here in the country and boiled it down to Omni. I'll be starting on April 21 and plan to take the full PPL, CPL, IFR package...yep I'm excited! :O With cost being a major concern for me, Omni seems to be the most reputable and I also haven't heard much negative things about them.

With regards to getting a SPL, once you have given Omni the go signal a liaison officer will accompany you to the ATO and help you out with your requirements so basically you have that area covered.

I've got glasses too but it's a non-issue since they will test your visual capacity. As long as you check out 20/20 with the glasses your good. They will require you to secure an extra set of glasses prior to testing so make sure you have one.

Don Vito
13th Apr 2008, 11:25
@caloy and centurion

thanks for the info. im not very keen on taking a lasik operation for my eyes, im just not comfortable about subjecting my eyes to incisions. cost is a very important factor for me as well in determining which school i would go to and P1M is a huge amount that my family can save by going to omni instead of PAL(CIA is out of reach for me :p).

anyway about the eye test, im sure im not color blind but i dont know about the depth perception test. how is it done?

Centurion_210
13th Apr 2008, 12:53
You'll look in a microscope like machine and you'll see set of letters or numbers each enclosed in a circle. You have to find which circle is floating. Technic is to refresh your eyes before looking for the next set. The liason in Omni can help you with all the details when you get your license.

St. Ex
13th Apr 2008, 13:22
St. Ex
Fatal in terms of financial damages........

no one has to die for an accident to become fatal. if that happened I would have used deadly as an adjective.
http://www.pprune.org/forums/images/statusicon/user_offline.gif http://www.pprune.org/forums/images/buttons/report.gif (http://www.pprune.org/forums/report.php?p=4037324)

Just to enlighten you regarding the terms used to officially describe air crash investigations, here are some definitions from the United States National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) which is the basis for the 'Nall Report' published yearly:

NTSB Definitions
Accident/Incident (NTSB Part 830)
The following definitions of terms used in this report have been
extracted from NTSB Part 830 of the Federal Aviation
Regulations. It is included in most commercially available
FAR/AIM digests and should be referenced for detailed information.
Aircraft Accident
An occurrence incidental to flight in which, “as a result of the
operation of an aircraft, any person (occupant or nonoccupant)
receives fatal or serious injury or any aircraft receives substantial
damage.”
• A fatal injury is one that results in death within 30 days of
the accident.
• A serious injury is one that:
(1) Requires hospitalization for more than 48 hours, commencing
within seven days from the date the injury was received.
(2) Results in a fracture of any bone (except simple fractures of
fingers, toes, or nose).
(3) Involves lacerations that cause severe hemorrhages, nerve,
muscle, or tendon damage.
(4) Involves injury to any internal organ. Or
(5) Involves second- or third-degree burns, or any burns affecting
more than five percent of body surface.
• A minor injury is one that does not qualify as fatal or
serious.
• Destroyed means that an aircraft was demolished beyond
economical repair, i.e., substantially damaged to the extent that
it would be impracticable to rebuild it and return it to an airworthy
condition. (This may not coincide with the definition of
“total loss” for insurance purposes. Because of the variability of
insurance limits carried and such additional factors as time on
engines and propellers, and aircraft condition before an accident,
an aircraft may be “totaled” even though it is not considered
“destroyed” for NTSB accident-reporting purposes.)
• Substantial damage for accident reporting purposes does
not necessarily correlate with “substantial” in terms of financial
loss. Contrary to popular misconception, there is no dollar
value that defines “substantial” damage. Because of the high
cost of many repairs, large sums may be spent to repair damage
resulting from incidents that do not meet the NTSB definition
of substantial damage.
(1) Except as provided below, substantial damage means damage
or structural failure that adversely affects the structural
strength, performance, or flight characteristics of the aircraft,
and which would normally require major repair or replacement
of the affected part.
(2) Engine failure, damage limited to an engine, bent fairings
or cowling, dented skin, small puncture holes in the skin or fabric,
ground damage to rotor or propeller blades, damage to
landing gear, wheels, tires, flaps, engine accessories, brakes, or
wing tips are not considered “substantial damage.”
• Minor damage is any damage that does not qualify as substantial,
such as that in item (2) under substantial damage.

This is rather self explanatory and I hope this clarifies the issue for you and helps make you more knowledgeable than the local media.

Don Vito
23rd Apr 2008, 14:09
enough of the crash and more info on omni please.

anyway, about the spl, when you ask for help from the liason officer, does this mean that you've committed to enrolling with them? how will the liason officer help you?

paolylo
23rd Apr 2008, 18:30
liaison officers merely stand in line for you so that you don't have to worry about going back and forth from place to place for requirements... all you need to do before you fly is to get on with your training and pass the NTC exams in QC for aircraft radio. just pay the applicable fees.

take note that our ATO to some extent is like applying for a driver's license with our LTO without a fixer. NTC is much more organized.

Centurion_210
24th Apr 2008, 05:53
You can go to ATO by yourself and go to safety division and ask for an application form and the requirements. Just be early to avoid the Indian crowd. I think NTC (radio) license is only required when you apply for PPL. Applying in advance won't hurt.

Don Vito
26th Apr 2008, 09:15
I went to the ATO a couple of days ago to inquire about the SPL. when we were talking to one of the staff there, he recommended Airworks aviation. he said it was a school that had FAA standards. anyone here know about Airworks?

also, he said that theres a problem with omni. he said that the flight instructors there were fresh graduates who were building up time. would this be bad for training?

Centurion_210
26th Apr 2008, 10:05
Airworks in owned by Capt Halili. He handles the ground schooling and flight training by himself and Capt. xavier. So far i find Airworks the best pilot school in Manila. Quite pricey but worth it.

With the vacuum hiring happening in the airlines, yes omni has newbie Instructors, so as most flying schools (except airworks ofcourse). The real question is are they really capable of teaching? :ok:

Don Vito
26th Apr 2008, 15:16
^we went to airworks aviation, they had just 1 trainer plane. i forgot the model but it wasnt a cesna. they also had very few students. im suspicious as to why they have just a few students even though they have good reputation. the price is about as much as PAL av so its still quite reasonable. im just not so sure why they have so few students.

yano
26th Apr 2008, 16:06
You can read more info about Capt. Halili here:

http://www.philskies.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6150&hilit=halili

tian yu
1st Jun 2009, 06:15
Few students cuz the standard is high...remember attitude + skills + knowledge = great pilot!Probably pricy too but good things come with a price dba? :ok: Had the opportunity to meet Capt. Halili once in Mactan-Cebu last year. Great & humble guy.

As for OMNI, well I have yet to go there. But met yet another of their cadets here in Dumaguete once on their super long x-country in 2007.

Fish & Chips
1st Nov 2009, 01:12
Airworks has very high standards. But I don't think they allow solo flights. I heard that their aircraft are self-insured by the owner.

franztorres21
5th Jul 2010, 03:51
i might start my ppl phase with omni this sept. do you also know where are some of its recent graduates at right now? flying as FI? flying for airlines? thanks.

toffeebuenafe
26th Aug 2010, 04:36
to quote from another pilot:

"Instructors everywhere don't earn much. They are just building time, and many instructors are not teachers, don't even speak well in public, can't explain anything other than what they (can barely) read in user manuals, and often pass on all their bad habits and aviation myths onto their students.

But there are some really good instructors, who really know aerodynamics, truly understand why p-factor happens or what the difference is between an over-the-top spin entry and a Christmas tree. They read about airplanes and procedures all the time, they know their CARs well, and they respect their craft. THERE ARE A FEW OF THEM AT OMNI."

onedelacruz
27th Aug 2010, 01:24
hi toffeebuenafe!

Pls check your PM.

Thanks!

toffeebuenafe
18th Sep 2010, 00:42
the problem is that the omni of today is different from the omni of yesterday. they have very poor groundies because of the young inexperienced instructors. Moreover, they have become a factory producing commercial licenses in exchange for passing their training plan. And money of course. Hehe

ubing
18th Sep 2010, 05:02
omni = too many engine quit incidents

Airstink
18th Sep 2010, 06:12
Wow, talk about how hard it is to be at the top. Lotsa people wana bring you down... :E

toffeebuenafe
1st Jan 2011, 02:02
A New Home Flying in Crosswinds (http://tonetcarlo.wordpress.com/2010/11/12/a-new-home/)

the FBO referred here is omni. just thinking, if they treat this guy like that, what more to students?

Two words. STAY AWAY

TajikFlier
2nd Jan 2011, 16:01
Amazing how many urban myths and rumors there are in aviation.

Airworks is not a simple flying school. They specialize in instrument training, multi-engine rating, rotary wing (Meynard trains Philippine Navy helicopter pilots) and aerobatic training.

They don't do primary training. (Primary training is the initial training a student pilot goes through.) They simply don't do that. They are a graduate school of flying.

They have a Bellanca Super Decathlon for aerobatics and tail dragger endorsements, an R-22 helicopter, and a twin-engine Beech Baron. They also have a Frasca 132 instrument simulator. The chief instructor is also the President, Meynard Halili.

Brief but revealing articles about Meynard:
Meynard the Medicine Man Flying in Crosswinds (http://tonetcarlo.wordpress.com/2009/01/30/meynard-the-medicine-man/)

Aerobatic Pilot Flying in Crosswinds (http://tonetcarlo.wordpress.com/2007/10/17/aerobatic-pilot/)

As you can see, Meynard isn't just an instructor. He was a cigarette vendor. He uplifted himself and eventually became an executive at Philippine Airlines. He retired and started a freight forwarding business that is thriving today. He learned to fly at the age of 40+. And when he did, he did it all in one single year. PPL, CPL, FI, ATPL, powered and unpowered aerobatics, glider, rotary wing, amphibian.

Airworks is the diamond of flying schools. If you go there, you should be

1. Already done with primary training

2. Ready for a grueling, demanding, challenging and intense education

3. Willing to pay.

It's like joining the Navy SEALs. The washout rate is not low.

Eyeglasses

The only CAAP requirement for a student pilot license is 20/20 corrected and zero color blindness. Those are also the only requirements for a private pilot license.

Flying schools generally do not have any requirement for vision. Why would they turn money down? They only need to adhere to the CAAP requirement.

The requirement for 20/20 UNcorrected vision is an AIRLINE requirement, and if varies from airline to airline. When a company hires you, they are legally required (in the Philippines and most countries) to keep you employed despite future changes in your medical condition. They are legally required to keep you employed even after your eyesight deteriorates. Wearing glasses is not a disability. The CAAP allows it. So they cannot fire you for deteriorating vision.

SO, the airlines make it a requirement that you must be 20/20 UNcorrected when they hire you. Why would they hire someone whose vision is already deteriorated? You would do the same -- hire someone who is at the peak of health, because later in his employment you would have to provide medical benefits and insurance.

So, it is an AIRLINE requirement. Not an OMNI requirement or a CAAP requirement.

Fatal

The word FATAL always has and always will mean there was a fatality. A fatal accident means someone died. Legally, grammatically and colloquially, FATAL means someone died. So if no one died, an accident is not a FATAL accident. There were no fatalities. It may be an expensive accident, it may be a major accident, a bloody accident, a catastrophic accident, a financially ruinous accident, a stupid accident, a moronic accident, an idiotic accident, a weather accident, whatever, but if no one died, it was not a fatal accident.

Omni

Consider this:

Omni charged a friend of mine PhP3,500 (US$75) to "facilitate" the renewal of his National Telecommunications Commission radio license for pilots. I did it myself in single morning, no bribes, no fixer, for less than P500 (US$12) for a 3-year license.

Omni charged a friend of mine over PhP20,000 (US$500) for CAAP licensing fees. The actual cost of an SPL is less than PhP600 (US$15) for a student pilot license and the accompanying medical exam. When my friend, dumbfounded, asked why it was so expensive, they said it included his check ride.

Note that my friend had not yet even enrolled in the private pilot course, never mind completing it, and they were already charging him for the private pilot check ride which could be a year or more away.

Besides, the check ride takes one hour. An hour in a Cessna 152 costs just P8,000-9,000 pesos.

"Expensive" does not even begin to cover Omni's fees. Try "exorbitant" or "outlandish".

toffeebuenafe
2nd Jan 2011, 22:51
PRIVATE PILOT LICENSE COSTS
Ground School 90 hrs 300.00/hr 27,000.00
Dual/Solo C152 40 hrs (min) 6,000.00/hr 240,000.00
Operational Charges & Landing Fees 17,050.00
Books and Materials 16,500.00
Licensing Fees 32,000.00
COURSE TOTAL PHP 332,550.00

WOW. Can someone explain to me "Operational Charges & Landing Fees" and"Licensing Fees"? They are a business, not a school. :ok:

tevans62
12th Jan 2011, 06:37
To the poster claiming Omni Charges 8-9,000 Peso's per hour....They do not charge that much for a C-152, please get your facts correct before you post.

Second, the flying school is not a "Money Making Racket", it is a business, actually every school is a business unless it is a Gov't funded school. You pay fees to attend University, would you call Harvard or Cambridge "Money making Rackets"? If a school loses money it will close, just like any other business, so you get what you pay for.

I have both Transport Canada and FAA Airman certificates and I would say that Omni is as good as it get's in the Philippines. They have a large fleet of well maintained aircraft and they have been constantly training new instructors in a professional development course because they are losing so many of them to the airlines. If they are bad, why would the airlines be hiring them? They, along with PAL and Clark Aviation were the only schools to gain CAAP approval within one week, the other's are still trying to gain approvals, and a few are, slowly. The Philippines just went through a major exercise in overhauling their ATO and forming the CAAP so many schools failed to meet standards. Omni DID meet the new standards. As for the quality of training, it is very good and they do not allow 'Cheating', meaning that you actually have to fly the hours that you put in your log book. Many schools here cheat by filling a 172 with three students and having all of them log PIC time with only one of them flying, which is why many have been closed by the CAAP. Omni has good classrooms and good facilities and you have to earn your ratings and certificates, no cheating at all. Omni just expanded their facilities and have a large building at Subic Bay which is very well equiped, they are in the process of providing Glass Cockpit simulators for the G1000 and have recently leased an Advanced Simulator from the US that can emulate both a C-172 and a PA34 Twin, with full wrap around visuals and force feedback controls.

The reason I know this is because I did my conversion of my FAA license to a Philippines license with Omni and I also am part of the company that manufactures the FAA AATD simulators in the USA that Omni will be using. We do our due dilligency before we partner with anyone. PAL is a closed shop, although they do have a couple of C-172s fitted with G-1000, but expensive to use. Clarke Aviation is no longer training students for their PPL, CPL, Inst, Multi ratings, they have farmed this out to Omni and they are now simply using their A-320 full motion Simulator for training the local and regional airline crews. The CAE Provided Sim is operating from 7am to 4am daily.

Lastly, the reasons aircraft engines fail are many, including bad fuel, catstrophic failure of parts etc, the fact that the aircraft engine failed is not in question, the fact that the student pilots managed to make an emergency landing in a rice plantation without killing themselves or others on the ground should be testament to the quality of the training provided by the school. I suggest that you look up the US NTSB for a list of flying school aircraft crashes and incedents before you make claims about Omni's record. With a larger training fleet than anyone else in the Philippines they are bound to have a proportionate rate of flying hours to aircraft system failures etc. Do the math.

John Holmes junior
12th Jan 2011, 12:43
With your attitude toffee , you wouldn't go far in aviation. We work in a relatively close world where attitude , respect and decency are as important as flying skills. Hundreds of us at Pal, Bupak and others read this thread. We won't tolerate guys like you in the cockpit. Go fly a kite! And stay at the wannebees area.

TajikFlier
12th Jan 2011, 17:07
I also am part of the company that manufactures the FAA AATD simulators in the USA that Omni will be using.Ahh. Now I understand. You do business with Omni.

PAL is a closed shop, although they do have a couple of C-172s fitted with G-1000, They have six. Check your facts before you post.

Clarke Aviation is no longer training students for their PPL, CPL, Inst, Multi ratings, they have farmed this out to OmniYou mean Clark Aviation (there is no "e"). They have long severed their relationship with Omni.

Facts, facts, facts ... .

You missed the point re the P8,000-9,000.

Omni charges over P20,000 as "licensing fees". Imagine! P20,000++ just to get your student license! The actual legitimate CAAP fees for the medical tests and license processing add up to less than P800, but Omni charges students P20,000++.

Omni justifies their P20,000++ by saying it includes the cost of the (far in the future) PPL checkride. But a one-hour checkride in a Cessna 152 doesn't get you from P800 to P20,000.

So if, as you say, the cost of an hour in a 152 is less than what I said, you actually reinforce my point -- that Omni is charging exorbitantly for licensing fees. How do they justify P20,000?! A one-hour check ride, as you say, is not that expensive.

(I am now told they charge over P35,000, not P20,000.)

They swindled one of their best friends for years. You should read his story. Flying in Crosswinds (http://tonetcarlo.wordpress.com/2010/11/12/a-new-home/). It turns out they were not authorized to maintain airplanes. Including their own. Caught by an ICAO audit.

Jett77
10th Feb 2011, 09:49
It's actually 32k. Let's say that the check ride cost 6k and that license cost 800, which is actually a huge difference but come-on guys. This IS business, they do need to include operational cost plus it's not like others are any lower! Of course they will try to make money of you! From what I hear they have a pretty good reputation, their training is up in the top 3 schools in the Phil and they got the new CAAP license within weeks. If paying 32k for a license fee that will insure me that I get one of the best trainings to fly, why not?

frag.ile001
27th May 2011, 11:23
i have friends with omni and not once have they mentioned anything about a plane's engine quitting IN FLIGHT. the next worse thing about women spreading rumors are the pilots spreading rumors.. be it true or not, something like an engine quitting would definitely be an interesting topic of conversation. and i, as a very interested soon-to-be (not wannabe), listen very carefully.

my friends tell me of instances where their engines sputter during their engine run-up (or for the laymen, engine check) because of low rpm when checked for the lower limits. any engine with a low idling rpm would sputter and die, that includes cars' engines as well.

if this is the case, i would rather fly with a pilot that checks his plane's performance while on the ground than for it to happen while in flight.

they have not heard of any of OMNI'S engines quitting in flight... and they are there nearly 24/7.

most of these rumors are malicious and destructive and most probably from a bitter rival flying school.

for those that are shopping around for flying schools, do what most of my friends did.. they didnt talk to the staff (because they'll try to sell the school of course), they talked to the students.. old and new.

frag.ile001
27th May 2011, 11:41
people, please understand that paying these fees are A CHOICE. if you dont want to pay for +-5000php/hr then look for a different school that asks for less.

BUT YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.

the 26-35k for licensing fees are high.. thats true. but that is NOT mandatory! you can opt to line up at CAAP yourself and pay, at the most) 1k, not including gas and toll. the people at CAAP that process you dont bite.

my friend, now flying for cebpac, didnt go through the liason officer. he processed and applied for all his licenses himself. spl, ppl, cpl, ir, multi, atpl. he now knows the ins and outs of the place, especially who to talk to when quick help is needed.

THE PRICE FOR CONVENIENCE IS HIGH.

frag.ile001
27th May 2011, 12:07
for the person to whom i replied to, i apologize, it wasnt meant as a counter.

anyway, ive been to 3 different flying schools, shopping around, and the school i keep coming back to is OMNI.

i have several friends there and met new ones through them. and through these guys and girls, i get the actual low down on the rumors that have been spreading through these forums.

the high priced licensing fees are true.. im not sure how much it is now, but as one of you posted, it was at 30k.

BUT

the licensing fees or liason fees ARE NOT MANDATORY. this is for your convenience. you CAN CHOOSE to not pay for this, but you will then have to apply for your licenses and certificates yourself. and by doing this, you keep costs down, around 2k (approximation) for the whole set (medical fees and CAAP licensing fees). aside from that, you get to learn how CAAP works, where your papers are, and who to talk to when they cant find it.

OMNI may seem the best flying school presently, but it is not perfect. and ive seen firsthand its many flaws.. and to say the least, its not the instructors, ground and flight, that will bring the school down... 'nuff said.

jester_icarus
28th May 2011, 12:31
lol.............

B737NG
28th May 2011, 16:44
Is there a Capt. Steve Snelson involved in the background ? Be alertet !!

Fly safe and land happy

NG

JadRN
28th May 2011, 20:17
would it better if i enroll to CIA than Omni if i plan to work or have an a320 rating? their tuition is more than double of that of omni's but they have an aibus a320 training.
i have a bachelor's degree and im starting with zero aviation experience. any help?

emcee
6th Jun 2011, 04:19
Hi guys, new here. Same question as the poster above. Planning on studying at OMNI

frag.ile001
11th Jun 2011, 05:19
omni's reputation for getting people in the airline is really good. i just heard that one training batch in cebpac is comprised of omni graduates. this means they really know their stuff. ive seen them review for the interview, but they just scan their notes. .. again, this means it came from their groundschool..

they dont need to study again, they just review it.

my advice: go to omni and hang around the place. take the time to go around and meet the pilots and students.. dont ask for the official tour because their answers are scripted and will obviously give you the polished facts.

fair warning: all institutions have politics. and omni has its own share of that.

if you like what you see and hear, then enroll. if you dont like it after a few days there then leave.. the prices are almost the same for the other schools..

... but the guys there now are a lot better, because the guys that left and went to the airlines were the best.. on and off the ground.

thats my 10 cents..

Airstink
11th Jun 2011, 06:54
Given Omni is one of the better schools in the PI, I wouldn't call everyone who left you "the best on and off the ground".

Shout out to one of your instructors who made it into bupak despite intentionally flying into IMC while VFR, hitting his students during lessons and padding his multi-time on the Seneca. The guy flies an A320 now.

Sometimes it pays to be a crook.

But in all fairness he was the exception to the lot.

frag.ile001
11th Jun 2011, 09:50
i think i've heard of that pilot. and i wont defend the guy simply because i dont know him. but you're generalizing the whole lot for one persons actions.

just because you found a rotten apple in a barrel doesnt necessarily mean that the whole barrel is full of rotten apples.

you judge one persons actions based on heresay (unless you were the student he was hitting..) but you fail to realize that most (not all, mind you) of the airline pilots that came from genav has done the same thing: corporal punishment, padding of time, etc. but they're in the airlines. they're flying 747s, 777s, 380s.. they did what they did to get to the airlines ahead of the others.

and look what happened... pilots, captains and f.o's, that screw up because of lack of training and discipline despite what the time on their logbook says.

but thats just my opinion...

Airstink
13th Jun 2011, 05:03
I said he [the rotten apple] was the exception to the lot.

subsonicsubic
24th Jul 2011, 04:29
Unfortunately a cessna 152 crashed on woodland airpark killing the malaysian instructor and philippino student. Rpc 8839.

Blackdollie
24th Jul 2011, 04:33
wasn't it malaysian student??:confused::confused:

subsonicsubic
24th Jul 2011, 12:09
No it wasn't.

The student was from the Philippines. The instructor was from Malaysia.
vid 1
(http://www.gmanews.tv/video/85440/saksi-dalawa-patay-sa-pagbagsak-ng-cessna-plane)
vid 2 (http://www.gmanews.tv/video/85464/24oras-malaysian-at-pinoy-patay-sa-plane-crash-sa-pampanga)

I think you will find video # 2 makes this relatively clear.

FYI I have regularly flow Omni's aircraft including the 152 in question. I have no issue with Omni's maintainance whatsoever.

I do however have issues with their turnover of instructors and the subsequent loss of skills and safety that implies.

A C152 can land anywhere dead stick unless you are really unlucky. SEL aircraft do loose the "donk" from time to time, but you have to try really hard to kill yourself if this happens.

Lack of training (for the CFI) and an unfortunate training hop for the student.

RIP

subsonicsubic
24th Jul 2011, 12:24
frag.ile001 (http://www.pprune.org/members/358861-frag-ile001)

Correct.

I was lucky to have Jhick, Aljess and M. Mesina as my instructors. I have never spent my money better.

And Jeff on the ground.

All gone now...much to Omni's detriment. :{

Blackdollie
24th Jul 2011, 14:00
Sorry mate,I don't understand any filipino!
Below are the articles from Malaysia & Philippine.
...and they clearly stated Malaysian Student!:hmm:

MANILA (AP): A Malaysian student pilot and his Filipino instructor were killed when their Cessna plane crashed in northern Pampanga province Friday, said Philippine civil aviation officials.
A police report identified those killed as Malaysian Tian Yu Wong and flying instructor Alfred Christian de Leon.
Capt Amando Soliman of the civil aviation said it was not immediately clear why the two-seater plane crashed in an open field. He says no one was hurt on the ground.
Soliman said the plane was owned by Omni Aviation flying school based in Clark Freeport, a former U.S.-run air base in Pampanga.

M'sian student pilot killed in training flight in the Philippines (http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2011/7/23/nation/20110723195959&sec=nation)

Light plane crashes; 2 killed | The Manila Bulletin Newspaper Online (http://www.mb.com.ph/articles/327990/light-plane-crashes-2-killed)

subsonicsubic
24th Jul 2011, 15:18
Look. I'm not going to get into a pissing fight with you. The facts are as I stated previously. Do you find it unusual that Omni employ a Malaysian flight instructor?

They currently employ an Israli FI as well.

Follow the links i posted....read the titles on vid two, translate the tagalog and go to bed.

fernandeztv
25th Jul 2011, 22:29
@subsonicsubic

Following the links you posted i came across this:

BT: Malaysian student pilot at Pinoy instructor, patay sa plane crash - Video - GMA News Online - The go-to site for Filipinos everywhere - Latest Philippine News (http://www.gmanews.tv/largevideo/related/85448/bt-malaysian-student-pilot-at-pinoy-instructor-patay-sa-plane-crash)

It does not matter if it was a Malaysian instructor or student anyways...what matters is that 2 of our fellow pilots have perished in this tragedy :( RIP
Condolences to their families.

Wonder how the guys who knew them in OMNI are coping up...such a sick feeling when you see people off before a flight and they don't return back. Just hearing a Mayday call from a company aircraft on the radios was bad enough for me. Could not stop praying till they got back safely on ground.

Never flew 8839. During my days it was the good old RPC 1049,1051 (soloed on 1051) and the better (those days) 8832, 8831.

rob_jaw123
26th Jul 2011, 02:14
just last week omni in the phils had an airplane crash. student and pilot died. the owner of omni said it plane error.

i thought it was taiwanese, they use avgas not mogas which is illegal in the western world.

which is the best school you chose!!:mad:

rob_jaw123
28th Jul 2011, 09:26
why dont you ask the parents of the malaysian student who died in july 2011.

see what they say!!!!

subsonicsubic
31st Jul 2011, 18:21
As I said...It wasn't a Malaysian student:ugh::mad::mad::mad:

fuzylogic577
2nd Aug 2011, 13:18
i agree with subsonic..

much to the detriment of all those following the news of the crash on the news, they receive a flawed newscast. much better to ask those that are either from omni, or were there at the site.

the parents of our brothers are most definitely going to be biased in their answer as to whether omni is still safe or not. its impossible to get an objective view from those close to those that died.

this is what i know:
>this is the first and only fatality from omni since it started way back in the '90s.

>several other flying schools in the philippines have a worse statistic than omni and yet they are still operational with students enrolling left and right.

my advice is: do your homework on your target school. talk to the students. dont talk to the staff/employees (theyll give you their best foot always). talk to the caap and do an informal survey.

lets just hope that this wont happen again.. regardless of what flying school, company, airline you're flying with, nationality, rank, flying hours...

BE PROFICIENT with your recoveries brothers. doing it once does not count.

IT WILL HAPPEN WHEN WE LEAST EXPECT IT. BEST BE READY FOR IT.

frag.ile001
2nd Aug 2011, 14:32
just to let you know, ive received word that even after the crash, omni is still receiving students... meaning, despite what happened, omni still has a strong enough reputation to keep on training students.

you want to know what school is the best? certainly not omni. no one school in the philippines can be the best. but omni sure is up there in the list.

but why are you listening to me? go there and find out for yourself! i aint gonna baby you.. :}

Ankit Kotecha
7th Aug 2011, 10:26
does Omni has vacancy for flight instructor positions at the moment ?

please enlighten me with this. thnx.,

frag.ile001
11th Aug 2011, 15:02
from what i heard... yes. i believe there's an exodus of veteran flight instructors from omni going to the airlines.

lotsa planes.. lotsa students.. few instructors..

so far theyve only gotten 3 new instructors from their crop of homegrown batches.

Ankit Kotecha
12th Aug 2011, 08:03
thanx sir..
can you tell me more about the recruitment process, personnel and whether they hire foreigners or not..
please assist me with this..
thanx so much..
tail winds..

frag.ile001
15th Aug 2011, 05:20
i dont know how they process potential hires. best to email (if youre at a different country) or call them (if youre staying in the philippines).

youll find their contact numbers at their website.. omniaviation.com

good luck

emcee
15th Sep 2011, 11:31
Despite the incident that happened lately, the school is still receiving lots of students. Heard that they are lacking instructors because of the number of cadets

airbus_21
30th Oct 2011, 00:23
try applying with Cathay Pacific Cadet pilot program.

flyb0i_1
1st Dec 2011, 13:47
Any info that you can share regarding cathay's cadet pilot program?

alitaptap
2nd Dec 2011, 06:06
flyb0i 1,

check their website . . . .

GTS925
4th Jun 2012, 13:59
Will OMNI allow me to use my uncle's C-152 instead of renting theirs to save money?

SuperJet
19th Sep 2013, 07:39
Hi All,

Pity that this thread seems to have died a while ago.

I am on of those still very interested in Omni, and from my own experiences, to lay to rest the concerns concerning accidents. If Omni has been around since the nineties and one fatal accident, although noone wants to hear about fatalities, I have been with two 'top' flight training organisations, and BOTH have had serious accidents, both related to engine failures, in an both cases, severe injuries. It can and will happen. One of those was a solo student, and one was with a highly experienced instructor.

Anyhow, thats my 2c worth on that, so, my advice, dont discount a flying school because of one incident.

Back to Omni as a whole though...

I want to live and work in Philippines, and already have a (lapsed) JAR PPL and 130 hours. I am not too woried, certianly not at this early stage, about converting CAAP/ICAO licences to FAA/JAA/etc, as I want to remain in the Philippines and work there.

So, I have heard a lot of good things about Omni, and if there CFIs/FIs are being snapped up by the local carriers, that bodes well, but, how does that apply to a foreigner going there? Assuming I get through the PPL/CPL/ME/IR with Omni, as a non-Philippines citizen, will a local carrier look at me? Even if I have to, say, go across to Clark and pay my own A320 TR, what are the prospects? Or, would I have to complete an Instructor course and instruct at Omni to build hours, and contacts, before they would look at me? Or maybe not even then? :sad:

Would love to hear comments from the wise. Maybe even someone who has been through a similar route to that?

Thanks to all! ;)

Fly safe and always be grateful that your a flyer in the first place! :ok:

SJ

Gulfstreamaviator
19th Sep 2013, 09:03
Will OMNI allow me to use my uncle's C-152 instead of renting theirs to save money?

Why should they save your money, and not earn theirs.???

But from a practical point, I would assume your 172 is not insured, or maintained to the companies Public Transport schedule.

A solution might be to lease your uncles 172 to the company.

glf

baroks
2nd Feb 2014, 11:48
Hi to everyone,
Iam new here, I just want to ask for your expertise and ideas regarding flying in the Philippines. I am working onboard the ship as an electrical engineer, I am thinking for a career change . However, Im 32 yrs old. would that be a problem if 2 to 3 yrs from that my training will end and would it be easy for me to get into the local airlines? thanks in advance.

baroks
2nd Feb 2014, 12:12
Hi there again,

I would like to ask if someone has been enrolled or currently
do trainings on the above name of schools. Any feedback ?
thanks

potatoteddy
12th Jun 2014, 11:38
Can someone comment on the price of this PPL course? Is that reasonable and if it is consistent with the rates of other aviation schools in Philippines (Luzon)?

http://i60.tinypic.com/b4ajqd.png

potatoteddy
12th Jun 2014, 11:45
Any more updates on the quality of the training provided by Omni?

Anyone knows what is the average cost of pursuing in a PPL in Philippines (Luzon)?

Ankit Kotecha
14th Jun 2014, 10:29
Average cost for PPL in Luzon area = 11,000 USD

Black Crow
14th Jun 2014, 10:51
Why would anyone want a Philippine license?? If you plan on staying in the Philippines, fine. If you plan on going anywhere else in the world, you are screwed!

No one accepts a CAAP license as it's widely known the lack of standards and very poor training.:=

potatoteddy
14th Jun 2014, 15:00
I just received a quotation from Omni:

PPL (Cessna 152) = Php 601,000
PPL (Cessna 172) = Php 818,000

Includes:
- Documentation fee
- Books and materials
- Ground school
- 10 hours simulator training on Redbird LO
- 60 hours of actual flight training (40 hours dual, 20 hours solo)
- Operational charges and landing fees

This is almost 14,000USD. Expensive for the amount of training hours provided?

potatoteddy
14th Jun 2014, 15:07
I am just contemplating the idea of doing a PPL in Philippines solely for leisure reasons at the moment. I am being posted to Philippines on a business trip for one year. Isn't CAAP not a member of ICAO, will I have difficulty converting it?

Can you not do a PPL in Philippines and perhaps do a CPL in some other more developed countries?

potatoteddy
15th Jun 2014, 01:51
The only reason why I am doing a PPL in Philippines is because I have been sent here to work for my company for a period of 1-2 years.

Is CAAP not a member of ICAO? The training method and materials they use should at least have some level of decency, I suppose? Do you foresee any difficulties in doing a conversion back in my country? If I do a conversion in my country, then I will be eligible to do a CPL, no?

Thanks in advance.

Black Crow
15th Jun 2014, 02:20
The only reason why I am doing a PPL in Philippines is because I have been sent here to work for my company for a period of 1-2 years.

Is CAAP not a member of ICAO? The training method and materials they use should at least have some level of decency, I suppose? Do you foresee any difficulties in doing a conversion back in my country? If I do a conversion in my country, then I will be eligible to do a CPL, no?

Thanks in advance.

The Philippines is infamous for poor training and exceptionally poor standards in aviation. While they are a member of ICAO they skirt around requirements.

I personally know pilots who have certificates that have aircraft on them that they have never flown and also have ratings they have never tested for.

As far as your country conversion, a lot depends. You are only as good as your training. Most countries see through the pathetic BS of CAAP.

potatoteddy
15th Jun 2014, 03:21
Thanks for the heads up, appreciate it!

I'm from Singapore and the flying schools here only issue restricted PPL due to space constraints. To achieve full PPL, the solo x country flight has to completed else where.

I'm doing PPL for leisure and I'm still in the process of filtering out the best aviation schools in Luzon.

I'm getting mixed feedbacks for Omni and AAA, appreciate if anyone can give latest feedbacks and price!

potatoteddy
15th Jun 2014, 06:08
Thanks for the heads-up, appreciate it.

The other reasons why I am not doing it here in Singapore is because the PPL is restricted (cross country flight has not be done overseas due to space constraints) and the cost is relatively cheaper.

I am in the process of filtering out the better fly training schools, so that I can quality training. I am not going to compromise my personal safety to save money.

Appreciate if any students from Omni or AAA can give feedbacks!

sabbaths
7th Nov 2014, 00:36
no doubt the best flying school in terms of flying skills :D

Hrithik R
18th Sep 2016, 05:42
@jester
thanks for the tips. im sure omni has enough trainer planes, they ordered 6 more cessnas. this is also an indicator that their student population is increasing.

@mplcadet
from what i've read, CA has their own planes. so why did you have to fly at omni?

@smiling goat

i think schools are successful if their graduates are successful.
Hii iam hrithik from india iam going to finish my 12th std with science group this year and i want to become an pilot so i need the full details of pilot training and the best aviation schools for this in phillipines as india is not good at it and i heard omni aviation is good is it true and please help me with the requirements to join and cost and each and everything required to get into omni aviation do help me!

Joselorenzo87
30th Dec 2016, 11:07
thanks for all the info. im pretty much decided that im going to omni since 1) it costs much cheaper than PAL and CIA.(P1.5M for the PPL, CPL and IFR). last time i heard, PAL costs P2.5M for the ab-initio pilot program.

2) quality training. the increase in the number of students are a proof of this and besides the accident in december 2007, theres not much bad things to say about them. also, CIA wouldnt entrust their students to a low quality school. especially since they're shelling out P4M.

3) 1 student 1 instructor is great. although i doubt they could keep that up with all the students.

all i need to do now is secure an SPL from the ATO.

any tips for this? Omni accepts students with glasses, im not sure about ATO.

Hello Don Vito, I wonder... how was your Omni experience? Are you now a licensed commercial pilot? If so, what airlines? Please answer... I really need help

blazeflying015
25th May 2017, 03:13
Hi Guys,

Any updates regarding OMNI. HOw they help their graduates land an Airline Pilot Job?
Any testimonials. Please.. need your reviews.

Thanks

v5city
8th Dec 2017, 11:26
Good day guys

Any idea about what kind of assessment does Omni do for flight instructor course, any link to their questions or assessments would be helpful

Cheers guys

v5city
6th Jul 2018, 08:41
These guys are pretty crap. No idea about what they are doing. Money burning school

Aerojoe15
22nd Feb 2021, 15:37
Hey Guys, just wanted to ask if OMNI's ACTP program is good? Is it worth the money? Based on the previous years, it seems that their graduates are A320 type rated but now they say its only a qualification for the type rating?? So I was wondering if its worth the hype. Thank you for your response!

Masba
23rd Feb 2021, 14:52
Hey Guys, just wanted to ask if OMNI's ACTP program is good? Is it worth the money? Based on the previous years, it seems that their graduates are A320 type rated but now they say its only a qualification for the type rating?? So I was wondering if its worth the hype. Thank you for your response!

Are you aware of the MASSIVE amount of filipino qualified pilots jobless? PAL, AirAsia and Cebu have fired more than a thousand pilots, all rated and experienced in all fleets, more to come due to the poor Government management of the COVID. Most filipino pilots wont be accepted out of the Philippines, either due to the low standards, the Class I medical or just because several countries will not accept a CAAP license except maybe Bamboo and couple more.

Don’t waste your time and money in getting a CAAP license, or at least wait 5-10 years until all the qualified jobless pilots are either retired or re-accepted in their airlines.

Aerojoe15
28th Feb 2021, 23:42
Are you aware of the MASSIVE amount of filipino qualified pilots jobless? PAL, AirAsia and Cebu have fired more than a thousand pilots, all rated and experienced in all fleets, more to come due to the poor Government management of the COVID. Most filipino pilots wont be accepted out of the Philippines, either due to the low standards, the Class I medical or just because several countries will not accept a CAAP license except maybe Bamboo and couple more.

Don’t waste your time and money in getting a CAAP license, or at least wait 5-10 years until all the qualified jobless pilots are either retired or re-accepted in their airlines.

Yes, I'm aware of the current situation but I think that shouldn't stop us from doing what we love. Personally, I don't mind waiting in the line to get my chance and while Im patiently waiting. I'll just build up experience so when the time comes, I'm ready.

With that being said. Do you guys have any idea about this ACTP program OMNI offers? And if OMNI is still one of the best flight schools here in the Philippines? I would love to hear your thoughts. Thanks.