PDA

View Full Version : Humanitarian flights

fiftypercentn1
25th Mar 2008, 07:56
Hi guys/girls,

does anyone know how to get involved in humanitarian flight services (food supplies, medications etc..)?
I would guess the UN is very much involved in it, maybe there are other organizations as well... (such as MAF as an example) ? Not necessarily in Africa.

Very much appreciated.

Gooneybird
25th Mar 2008, 09:02
How many hours do you have?
On what aircraft types?
What license/licenses do you hold?
If you give us more information we will be better able to help you.

If you hold an SA license or can get a validation for example there are many companies at Lanseria and beyond that specialize in such activities.
MAF you can contact yourself simply by Googling them.

fiftypercentn1
25th Mar 2008, 09:47
thanx a lot.
Yes I contacted MAF already, and they want you to be with them for at least 4 years, which is not an option for me.

I am just asking info about this because in the future I would like to take 6 months (or 1 year) unpayed leave and fly for humanitarian services.
It s something that I am planning to do not before a couple of years but I d like to know if it is possible, so I can plan it properly.

I hold a JAA licence, about 1700 hrs TT. of which 1400 jet time (airbus).

Thanx for your answers

Gooneybird
25th Mar 2008, 10:22
I guess first try European operators that may do that kind of work.
Also Airserv come to mind.
To be honest though, I'd make some savings and just simply take a vacation, go and see Asia or Australia something like that. There's plenty of people in this industry anyway and without wanting to sound too negative it's not really a 'feel good' job, it's just another job.
If it's adventure you're after you could always try bush flying for a charter company in Africa or South America but then you'll be taking an entry level job from a wannabe. I guess you could look at jobs in Iraq for jet jockies but, I'm afraid I know nothing of that world at all.....

fiftypercentn1
25th Mar 2008, 10:49
Ok thanx. Ya well I would like to do it for the humanitarian part of it.
Ya sure the adventure and the flying as well, but mainly to give a hand to people really.
Thanx for the heads up. I ll look more into it, as everything in this business, it s not that easy to understand how it works.

regards,

NG Driver
25th Mar 2008, 11:16
Not to burst your bubble either, but I'd have to second Gooneybirds' thoughts and advise. You could try AirServ, but while many an airline pilot has joined up with the best of intentions it was actually quite rare that one succeeded (i.e. finished their contract). The reasons were varied, but often came down to fundamental differences in operating philosophies between the airlines and bush flying - they just couldn't learn to operate "out of the box". Having made the transition from AirServ and UN contract flying to the airlines, I can tell you that wasn't easy either.

Assuming you could do it, there's still the fact that, as Gooneybird noted, it's not a feel-good job, rather it's just a job. I went to Africa 10 years ago really just wanting to "help" in the biggest way I could. What I learned was a lot about myself, and most importantly that it's not about the work, rather it's about the relationships - it's about how you treat the guy sitting next to you today.

If you want adventure and to see the world a bit, take some time off and use those travel bennies you get from flying an Airbus to travel off the beaten path a bit. If your main motive is to "help" or "serve", I'll bet there's plenty of opportunity within 50 km of wherever it is you are living now.

If you still feel it's something you really want to do, you could get the materials needed to study for the SA CAA validation (Air Law and Procedures tests) and then run down to Joburg and take the test, then do a validation check ride. But then you'd only be positioned for an f/0 job (UN Contract require 500 hrs in type). And, there's lots of competition for those f/o jobs.

Sorry to not offer more hope, it's just not something one can run and do "for a season" unless one has several years to commit to it.

Oh, and lastly, if you made it into UN contract flying, you'd likely never fly food and only once in a blue moon would you fly medicine. It's mostly UN staff and the staff of "partnering agencies". The UN uses Russian-type contractors for most cargo - and you'd have to learn to really drink for that.

I.R.PIRATE
25th Mar 2008, 11:57
What you will also find is that it becomes clear very very quickly, that there is actually no such thing as humanitarian flying in Africa. Yes on paper perhaps, but the truth behind it all will shatter your 'good intentions'.

You feeling guilty about something? :E

LittleMo
25th Mar 2008, 12:06
Agreed, its more about the experience, you'll quickly dispel any beliefs you had about helping after your 1st month in DRC/Sudan/Afghanistan etc..

I did it for the cash and the chicks...er make that the cash :}

fiftypercentn1
25th Mar 2008, 14:22
cheers guys all good stuff.
as it looks right now im closer and closer to save some money and go fly for myself! just jokin, as i said ill look into it a bit more and see what happens.

stratojet52
25th Mar 2008, 15:13
Did you check Aviation without borders?
http://www.asf-fr.org/

Cheers

maxrated
31st Mar 2008, 08:44
Dude if you already hold a jar licence try ZIMEX aviation, Switzerland, they have contracts in Sudan/Dafur, Angola, Afghanistan(?) and Algeria.

Would be easier than getting a SA validation, Zimex also pay better than SA company's at the moment.