PDA

View Full Version : expected pay for a dual rated pilot

globallocal
25th Mar 2008, 05:55
Trying to formulate a argument against my employer regarding pay.
operate a GLEX and a A109. I'm a captain on the GLEX and we operate a smaller jet as well. I'm also helo rated with an expired Inst rating.
Does anyone have any figures for what I might ask for to fly all 3??
I have an idea myself but want to make sure I'm in the ball park.
Any info would be great.
GL

Whirlygig
25th Mar 2008, 07:12
Where are you based? Pay rates can't just be multiplied by an exchange rate and it would help others to answer! What is the nature of your work? Corporate?

Cheers

Whirls

globallocal
25th Mar 2008, 07:56
Sorry did think of that but forgot to put it in. IN US$ would do, as thats what every one uses as a base wage.
Yes corporate as the GLEX is a biz jet, no charter all private.
I think the base is irrelevant as there doesn't seem to be to many positions like that around, but lets say S.E Asia.
Just want the general feel of what others might be getting.

outofwhack
25th Mar 2008, 11:43
I'd say that if you could fly all 3 at the same time you should be asking for 3 salaries.

arviator
26th Mar 2008, 14:40
I am also dual rated (A109/S76 and Boeing Captain)and the only way I can do this is by having more than one employer.

Things get interesting when I get close to flight time limitations i.e I have to say no on occasions.

However I do get 2 salaries, albeit one of which is a part time salary.

IMHO you have 2 licences, and whilst you cannot be in 2 places at once, you should still be rewarded for the flexibilty and skills you offer.

I would suggest that 1.5 times the higher of either a Bizjet or Helicopter Captain's salary would be fair.

By the way, if there is anyone out there looking to recruit...............:ok:

MSP Aviation
26th Mar 2008, 16:35
I don't have experience in this situation, but if you primarily fly the jets I would ask for:

100% of GLEX captain's pay + 60% of A109 captain's pay + a small bonus because you've saved them paying for benefits of another employee.

estepo
26th Mar 2008, 17:13
Globallocal

Why don't you consider proposing a slightly different format which could benefit both parties.

Request a basic salary that you're both happy with, but in addition, an hourly rate which covers any of the 3 you're tasked to fly.

If you know there's plenty of flying to do, propose a lower basic / higher hourly rate or visa versa if it's an unknown entity.

airborne_artist
26th Mar 2008, 17:46
100% of GLEX captain's pay + 60% of A109 captain's pay + a small bonus because you've saved them paying for benefits of another employee.But you can't fly more than one a/c at once, and you might become limited by the hours you can legally fly in a period, so you are not worth that much, IMHO. They also have the risk that if your are sick then they have no pilot for either a/c (assuming you are the sole pilot?). When you take leave they also have no-one.

I think the pay maxes out at about 100% of one and 35% of the other, which leaves up to 65% contingency to hire in freelances when you are not available.