PDA

View Full Version : Anyone flying on an OCI card?

Aceninja
25th Mar 2008, 05:54
Hi,

I'm currently doing my flight training in the USA. I came to US in 1999 and am currently a US Citizen, albeit with an OCI card. I am hoping to finish up my training here, build some hours and apply for a FO job in India. From my understanding the OCI is pretty comparable to the US "Green Card" as it allows you to reside and work in India. I just wanted to know if there were any people out there who is flying for an Indian airline with an OCI card, and if so are they classified as expats or local hires? Please advice.

av8r76
25th Mar 2008, 06:24
Some airlines hire OCI's... some don't. Best to contact individual airlines. Policies changing on a daily basis. No direction from the DGCA on this topic...so far. And the expat FO issue does not affect PIO\OCI holders.

I would reckon that that with plenty of Indian citizens waiting in the wings no reason to hire OCI's\PIO's. However, with OCI's being hired on local terms airlines don't care who fills the seats.

As far as I know, AI, IC, 9W do not hire non citizens for the right seat. As for all other ailines, as I said, give 'em a call. Good luck.

Nevrekar
25th Mar 2008, 12:57
Spicejet has several OCI F/O's and Capt(s). The F/O's are on local terms but the Capt are on expat terms. I doubt that they will be hiring OCI F/O's anymore as there are plenty of Indian nationals applying. These OCI F/O's were hired early on.

Aceninja
25th Mar 2008, 20:27
Thanks for the tip. If I can get in I am not really looking to build hours and leave elsewhere. I would be willing to convert to a DGCA license and be hired on local terms. How long does that take btw? Is it a fairly complicated process?

vinayak
25th Mar 2008, 21:30
I am going for my indigo TR to madrid, one of the guys with us has a OCI card... I know a few others the only airline that does not let you work without a citizenship is air india / indian airlines....

and when you are getting ur commercial issued just check the citizenship mentioned in your license...