PDA

View Full Version : Which new/used light twin for charter (US)? Data anybody?

Phil77
25th Mar 2008, 04:28
Ladies and Gentlemen,
I have a problem - its actually a nice problem:
We have an investor who is looking into buying a new (or for the lack thereof: used) light twin in executive configuration inside a 12 month timeframe.

Since I'm one of the few rotorheads in our company and have some management experience from my prior life, I was asked if I could prepare a business plan... :8

The not so nice part of the problem is to find the information to start!
(and yes, I tried to do some research before posting here!)
Could you guys (and gals) give me some reliable overview data on pricing such as purchase prices (averages are fine for now) and direct operating cost; also part availabilies, maintenance cost and good or bad experience?

I know its asking alot, especially in the blue!
I was thinking about:
- twin engine (its not about having a second engine or not if the sh** hits the fan, but its good for marketing and pice of mind!)
- separate cabin (here goes the TwinStar and alike)
- IFR certified (certifiable)

That basically narrows it down to:
- Augusta 109/Grand
- EC135/145
- Bell 429 (unproven/no data)
- Bell 427 (discontinued - a 407 with a second engine)
- MD 902 (nice and quiet - but the parts/price?)
- any other ideas? ... is a Dolphin actually considered "light" around here?

Thank you in advance for some good advice!
Anticipating the obvious response: "to make a small fortune in aviation, start out with a big one!" or "there is no money to make with helicopters"... let's try not to go there please!

Another thing related to the above:
Since I work for a management company (as a pilot btw), I should extend the invitation that we are very interested to maybe join forces with another operator in the NY/Philly area. Maybe there is somebody out there who has the business but not the funding upfront; or business, but not enough to justify to buy a new mashine?! PM's welcome!

We do mostly fixed-wing but I am lucky to have bosses who have a few thousand hours in helicopter too... makes my life a lot easier!

Again, thank you very much!

PS.: I know others would like to benefit from that information too (like I would have ;)) - but a PM is certainly fine as well!

arismount
25th Mar 2008, 09:10
The first questions you need to have answered before you can begin any aircraft search are as follows (Get the best answer you can from management or the principals):

1. What is the expected average passenger load? Take the number they give you, add 25%, then round up. Figure 220 lbs per pax (200 body + 20 bags).

2. What is the expected average stage length? Again take the number they give you, & add 1/3 to it.

3. Will you be flying IFR? If so, add another15% to the number you got from "2." above.

Now you have the number of seats you need and the range. Now it's a matter of finding what aircraft can meet these parameters. Don't forget performance: Take the highest landing point in your op area, at the highest temp expected on a summer day, and with the load as above, can the particular aircraft lift it? If not, you should move up.

Any entity that is seriously contemplating a purchase of this type should know that it's going to cost a lot. That being said, the misery of paying for extra capacity is always less than the misery of having an aircraft that won't get the job done a significant part of the time. Mission creep always happens.

Helipilot1982
25th Mar 2008, 09:26
Phil77

Dont forget the S76!!!

Phil77
25th Mar 2008, 21:15
arismount:

thanks for your response!
1. I was thinking that there will be hardly more than 4 Passengers; so in the worst case in a 4 Passenger cabin you can still put one body on the left seat.

2. We are talking about a range of roundabout 350nm; should be doable for all the competitors.

3. Yes, IFR would be an issue; and we would need to sacrifice a good fuel price for a bad weather flight.

Hot/High Performance: shouldn't be much of an issue since we're talking sealevel... worst case: a 90°F, calm day out of Wall Street or alike (in that case we might have to leave somebody at home :uhoh:). I have the Performance Charts for some Augusta products handy and it looks like they happily hover OGE at ISA +20 near max gross...

Where do I get reliable pricing for used aircraft?

HeliPilot:
Thanks but I was thinking about LIGHT twins, not mediums... I'm not splitting hairs here, the rough estimation is that you have double the operating cost to any of the afore mentioned aircraft... also we already operate a S-76A+.