PDA

View Full Version : Regulations in South America (FAA?)

Nelien
24th Mar 2008, 18:12
I've searched like crazy but can't find anywhere any information about the regulations in action around the more active countries of South America (like Argentina, Chile, Brazil, Uruguay, etc..). There is plenty of information about the JAA (Europe) and FAA (United States) and some about Canada and Australia.

So, does anyone know if there is a general South American regulation or if every country has their own? Or more importantly, would there be any easy bridge between any South American regulations and FAA?

I'm asking this because I mainly have two options for training, one is U.S., which I'd prefere, but if it doesn't work out (VISA's and such), South America is my second option, or more specifically Uruguay and/or Argentina.

I appreciate any help offered!

MartinCh
25th Mar 2008, 14:56
Nah.

Don't go Uruguay. Argentina's much better. I researched airplane training in South America and Argentina sounds good deal quality and money wise..

Man/girl, you're talking b:mad: !!
Visa to the US is sure bet for someone from Sweden.
Look at it the other way. People from 'third world' countries still get visa for flight training. Why wouldn't someone from visa waiver prog country is beyond my comprehension.

Besides, most if not all Latin American countries would require you to sit theory exams in Spanish/Braz Portugese if I'm not mistaken. Argentina for sure. That's why mostly Spanish go to L. A. for some flight training.

At least in Argentina, for which a guy from school mentioned Spanish only PPL theory exams. I'm not going to do CPL there so I don't care.

Even if you don't do papers and only 'build time' of instruction, having someone speaking some English would be OK. But then, if there's miscommunication regarding teaching...

You can use the hours for FAA system for sure. All FAA (USA) is that you need to sit theory exams - easy peasy - plus checkride (after meeting level of skills and hourly requirements).
There's nothing like MERCOSUR equivalent of JAA down there. Just old fashioned 'Fuerza Aerea' etc aka national CAA.

If you think rotary training, forget it completely. Too few rotary schools, prices not lower than US (for a reason...).

Latin America has the advantage of much lower instructor's fees/rate. That's mostly it. For me it's also about improving my Spanish, experiencing some chicas etc.

I'm off to the US mid June. RW flying.

Don't think unimportant stuff, get paperwork sorted and FLY UP :-D

Martin

I plan to spend summer (European, so it is) 2009 in Argentina.
PM me if you want to know more.

Nelien
26th Mar 2008, 00:31
Thanks a lot for your reply MartinCh! Very helpful indeed.

First, however, the reason I would choose Uruguay is because I have relatives there and thus would make my living easier, but I will look into Argentina as well considering it's "next door". Also, the language wouldn't be a problem as I speak and read Spanish fluently.

But when it comes to certifications I'm not sure I yet understand it all; for example, if I would to take a CPL in Argentina, would I be able to work as a pilot in the US with it? And vice versa?

Now, regarding the visa's, I'm still researching the matter but my understanding so far is that it can take many years to get your application through, at least for immigrant visa's (referring to the Visa Bulletin (http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/bulletin/bulletin_1360.html)). My situation would be to apply for a Family Immigrant Visa considering my father will soon have his Immigrant Visa ready and thus can sponsor me. I know immigration is not the only solution as I can apply for student visas or even tourist visas together with AFSP applications but that will only allow me for short stays in USA (6 months max I believe?). I would prefer longer stays so that I can start working sooner and so I don't have to travel back and forth Sweden and USA too often..

Anyway, let's not get too off-topic here :). Again, thanks a lot for the reply!

PS. I don't think it's "unimportant stuff" considering it regards on what continent I will be able to do the training, rather important if you ask me :P

PS2. I lived in Argentina for over 8 years when I was young (<10yrs), but I don't have much connections left there.