PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Policy Indonesia

essentialbus
24th Mar 2008, 08:09
Have read the below article twice, because first time i did not believe what i saw. On second attempt it dawned on me. Brilliant management at work.:E

http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2008/03/16/airliners-fly-with-lighter-fuel-load-amid-rising-oil-prices.html

Regards

E.B.

PK-KAR
24th Mar 2008, 18:06
To tell you the truth, I don't know what the article is about... :ugh:
I struggle to understand what they're saying... it sounds like just normal operations... carry the fuel you need plus the reserves required... nothing new.

Even my friends in Mandala and Merpati hasn't mentioned anything about changes in fuel policy. :zzz:

islandflyer
26th Mar 2008, 07:24
I think essentialbus may have referred more to the following hard to understand operations procedures:

State-owned Merpati Nusantara Airlines corporate secretary Purwanto said, "We cannot fill the tanks full because we need to share the (aircraft) weight with passengers, cargo and some sacks of sand to help achieve smooth take off".

Sacks of sand for a smooth takeoff? I must have missed something in flying school!

Purwanto said before landing a plane, pilots regularly disposed of excess fuel on request from air traffic operators.
He said depending on weather conditions, air traffic operators often asked for excess fuel to be disposed of in order to reduce aircraft weight and to ensure a safe landing.
The most common forms of fuel disposal included flying laps around an airport, or by direct disposal into the atmosphere if the plane was running late, Purwanto said.
Purwanto said Merpati's practices were not against any safety regulations and were "usual among airline companies".

And now I can stop wondering why Merpati has not made a cent of profit in the last 20 years and has to call for some government bailout every year.
:ugh:

gengis
26th Mar 2008, 08:57
- "Sacks of sand to ensure a smooth takeoff"????????

- "Direct disposal into the atmosphere"????????

I can't believe the first statement. As to the second, the last 737 i flew was a long time ago. And it didn't have fuel jettison. Somebody tell me that theirs does?

Or maybe, they're carrying sacks of sand to dispose "directly" into the atmosphere, to ensure a smooth landing???:ugh:

Ahhhh...... but then, what was that about dropping of articles....??:=