PDA

View Full Version : METEO: Climatology

acuba 290
23rd Mar 2008, 23:43
just started climatology and it is so hard to remember all this factors at all times of the year and seasons :ugh: how you guys managed that? :rolleyes: :confused: Maybe some tricks and tipps? Are there any mnemonics or something like that to help remember? :)

PAJ
24th Mar 2008, 06:48
Met is a pretty confusing subject to anyone new to it initially, but as with a lot of things in aviation, if you can really get to grips with the basics and apply these, you will be able to understand the more complex theories.

Climatology is a subject in itself and the ATPL met syllabus only touches on it briefly. I would say the most fundamental thing to understand is where the ITCZ (inter-tropical convergence zone) lies at any time during the year. Try to understand why it moves further north/ south over land than it does over the sea and from this you can work out a great deal. Then learn where the different high pressure and low pressure bands lie. This will help to explain why the monsoons occur where they do, why the 'doldrums' are weaker etc. Then when asked what weather to expect at a certain place at a certain time of year, work out where the ITCZ lies at that time of the year, decide where the wind is most likely to be predominant from, look at where the sea/ mountainous regions lie in relation and then just apply common sense to the situation.

I don't know any mneumonics, but my advice is really grasp the basics before you try to get your head round climatology. It will come together eventually, but you will also notice with the exams that certain areas of the world are examiners favourites - Western Africa, Northern Australia and the monsoons in general are a good start. Hope that helps

acuba 290
24th Mar 2008, 12:49
found first mnemonic in BGS Progress test explanation: "the high in July keep Darwin dry" ;)

captain_quagmire
24th Mar 2008, 14:10
A lot of questions centre around the ITCZ. Dakar seems to always pop up, so learn lots about that:8