PDA

View Full Version : Jet 2 Announcement to pax: re GPU

in-my-opinion
23rd Mar 2008, 23:18
Whenever I fly on Jet 2, I have noticed that on arrival, when the aircraft approaches stand there is a PA to pax saying that that a Ground Power Unit is going to be connected and not to unfasten seat belts until this is completed and the fasten seat belts sign is turned off. Why is this bit of extra detail given - from a pax point of view, surely all that is required is a reminder not to stand up until the light is off (for all the obvious reasons) I often see lots of baffled looks around me when people starting asking 'what did he say? whats ground power? etc.'

Getoutofmygalley
23rd Mar 2008, 23:43
Working for easyJet and not Jet 2, whenever I am on an aircraft where the APU is US and we are having a GPU connected I always say something along the lines of "On arrival on stand, there will be a slight delay before the engines are shut down and the fasten seat belt signs are switched off as the aircraft will be being connected to an external electrical source. Please remain seated with seat belts fastened until the signs above you have been switched off". I do this because otherwise pax will be out of their seats and queueing at the forward door to get off before the engines have been shut down.

Pax do like to unfasten their seat belts and move towards the doors when the aircraft isn't quite on stand, and as the engines are running I don't particularly want 156 people standing in the aisles or in front of me before the aircraft is safely on stand properly.

Also, the aircraft will not be on chox until the engines are shut down, so there is a potential for movement and sudden braking before the engines are shut down properly - I don't particularly fancy having pax falling over and hurting themselves when they should still be seated (I hate doing the paperwork for injured pax! :}).

TheDesertFerret
24th Mar 2008, 08:00
A worthy policy Getoutofmygalley but I bet it falls on deaf ears.

I'm always bemused by people who rush to stand up at first opportunity - contort themselves to get baggage out of lockers then stand awkwardly for ten minutes before disembarking.

Now - why do they do this when everybody ends up waiting at the same bagagge carousel? There is no time advantage in the mad rush to get off the aeroplane apart from the minority who travel only with hand luggage.

I quite enjoy sitting still reading my book whilst the loonies struggle.

Any psychologists out there who can explain this irrational behaviour?

Getoutofmygalley
24th Mar 2008, 09:11
If it falls on deaf ears then I find a short, sharp rebuke over the PA does wonders - especially if the flight is a domestic where the population of the cabin speaks only English :E

Gar
24th Mar 2008, 12:53
Not a psychologist, but I reckon it's either down to the world being impatient or subconscious claustrophobia. Perhaps in some situations a desire to reach a designated smoking area before the level of tar in ones lungs goes below a certain level

richardnei
24th Mar 2008, 13:22
All jet2 737 a/c have a gpu connected before engine shut down, even if the apu is working. It's another way to save on fuel and on apu wear.

Normally one engine is shut down when on stopped on stand, then the second once the ground power is attched. Onboard the a/c passengers will prob hear one engine shuting down so think it's ok to stand up and get there hand baggage out.

On the jet2 757 a/c both engines are shut down as normal then the ground power is attched. This is because of the height the 757 is off the ground.

Hope this helps!

JB007
24th Mar 2008, 16:05
On a recent flight as a pax from LGW-IOM with Flybe, almost the entire aircraft stood up when we pulled on stand - engines still running, with props in Min. range and seat belt sign on!!

The Cabin Staff just sat and watched...maybe it's an Island thing!!!

Ooops! Thread Creep - sorry!

HXdave
27th Mar 2008, 10:17
not sure if going off thread here, but i once remember being on a flight from POP, and landing at manchester. no sooner than we were off the runway, the obligatory passengers started to stand and reach into the overhead lockers. cabin crew made an announcement telling them to sit down. some did, some just ignored. another announcement was made. very shortly after, just as we were passing the aviation park, the aircraft came to a compleate stop. then the boss came over the PA, saying that the plane would not move one inch until he had been advised by his cabin crew that all passengers were firmly seated. the 3 / 4 passengers who were still standing all of a sudden went red in the face, and accordingly sat down to a raptous round of applause from the well behaved passengers.

well done to the MYT captain for putting them in their places........

DeltaT
2nd Apr 2008, 08:19
Sorry to deviate the thread here, but many 737s I walk past with the GPU connected still have their APU running. errr, so whats the reason for the GPU again?

dollydaydream
2nd Apr 2008, 11:08
JB007
The Cabin Staff just sat and watched...maybe it's an Island thing!!!

The PA had been made - Flybe so like their PA's - and it is stressed that pax must wait for engine shut down, seatbelt light off etc but they STILL unfasten as soon as the wheels touch the tarmac - the louder the click the better - and jump up to empty the oh lockers!
What exactly would you like the cc to do? These are adults(!) who presumably are capable of understanding and rational thought - they have been warned - on their head be it! Literally, one would hope in some cases:ooh: