PDA

View Full Version : I want to be a pilot. Where do I start?

jamied
22nd Mar 2008, 13:34
Ok, so I want to become a pilot sometime in the future. I am currently in my final year at school and will be leaving this May. The problem is, I don't really know where to start. I understand at college, the best subjects to take are Maths, English & Physics all at A Level. But what next? Do I start flying lessons while I’m a college? Even if I was to do that I wouldn't know how many different licences I need!

So, I was wondering if there are any UK pilots on here who could possibly walk me through how they actually landed themselves a career as a pilot (no pun intended). Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

weezythef
22nd Mar 2008, 14:20
"I want to be a pilot. Where do I start?"

Watch season 1-2 of Aircrash Investigations and watch Top Gun 3 times then sit for your ATPL exams :O
This is a secret not many have known until now.

isi3000
22nd Mar 2008, 14:23
Check your PM's :ok:

VFR Transit
22nd Mar 2008, 14:33
weezythef

I want to be a hollywood filmstar.Where do I start?

Why post this you prick.... It clearly does not have any reference to what this man is asking. You think you are funny hiding beind your handle, well let me tell you that you a ****.

Well done you :mad:

Craig Richardson (VFR Transit)

Now to answer the original post.

I would start by learning to fly and obtain you PPL(A) or (H) along with Night while doing college (this is what cadets do)

Once you have obtained your PPL, you may wish to complete some hour building, depending on what route you wish to take (intergrated or Modular).

You have plenty of time till you get to that bit so, just enjoy the whole flying experience.

Craig

powerstall
22nd Mar 2008, 14:37

...that was cold, really cold...:}

anyway, i agree with VFR T, go get your PPL, start building time and while you're at it, get another course in college...

Good luck. :ok:

Whirlygig
22nd Mar 2008, 14:44
You could start with a thread at the top of this forum called Sticky; please read - FAQs etc ....

The two most important things are money and research; everything else would be just academic!!

Cheers

Whirls

maxdrypower
22nd Mar 2008, 15:38
Are we up to one similar post a week yet or have we exceeded it ?
:ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh:

preduk
22nd Mar 2008, 17:00
I agree... You should try and get involved with your PPL as early as possible, it's currently about £105-130 per hour at certain schools for fixed wing flying.

It's all about research and hardwork!

Timelord
22nd Mar 2008, 19:52
Start with a proper medical by a CAA approved doc. If you have some medical problem that will eventually preclude a licence then best to find out now.
Then you need money - £40-60,000 depending on how you do it. You could raise it yourself (bank loan, parents etc) or compete for one of the very few places on airline sponsorship schemes.

Then you need shed loads of commitment and hard work to get through the training.

Then you need some luck to get a job.

The Oxford Aviation Academy website explains their courses and prices very well and although you will find lots of opinions about them here it will give you an idea.

Finally, if it is really your dream - go for it and don't let some of the old miseries on this site put you off.

Good luck

Flintstone
22nd Mar 2008, 20:05

Nice attitude there. Bitter are we? Jobs not coming in?

I wonder why?

Timelord. I hope that some of the more mature members of the forum have pointed you in the right direction. If there's anything else you need to know feel free to PM me.

preduk
22nd Mar 2008, 21:48
Sorry for my brief post earlier... I was in work and really wanted to go into a bit more detail when I got home.

Airlines are mainly looking for skills in three academic areas, these being; English, Maths and Physics at Grade C and above for A-Levels/Highers...

University/College Diplomas aren't really necessary however they can be good backup plans and also look good on your CV.

There are two routes into the airline business, Integrated and Modular.

At the moment, there are three main integrated schools, these being Oxford Aviation Academy (http://www.oxfordaviation.net/), Cabair (http://www.cabair.com/) and Flight Training Europe (http://www.flighttrainingeurope.com/). All of the courses cost between £60-80k for the full course and will lead you through all the ratings and licenses required.

The second option is the modular route. You basically pay as you go, so some people will work while they train at their local flight school/club. Modular can cost between £30k-45k roughly...

The ratings goes as follows:

- Get your PPL (45 Hours minimum)
- ATPL Theory (Ground school work)
- Build on your hours and bring it up to 150hours (maybe go abroad)
- Get your CPL (25 Hours Minimum)
- You must achieve your Night rating before your license is issued and a total of 200hours flight.
- Get your Multi Engine Piston Class Rating
- Get your Instrument Rating
- Get your Multi Crew Cooperation and Jet Orientation Training courses

Some pilots, choose to get their flight instructor license so they can build up on their hours as most airlines wont hire Low Hour Pilots (apart from Ryanair).

One of hte other routes I forgot to mention was CTC (http://www.ctcaviation.com/) and Airline Sponsorship. CTC is extremly difficult to get in, but is probably one of the best ways into the airline business with a large number of their pilots going straight into BA or Easy. Airline sponsorship has pretty much died over the years, however Highland airways are currently operating a course.

It's very expensive, requires a huge amount of dedication and hardwork but damn it's worth it in the long run!

jamied
23rd Mar 2008, 16:15
Wow, thanks everyone for the info!

One question, though. During medicals, how thoroughly is vision tested? My vision is perfect in my right eye but in my left it's blurred. I can see objects alright but I just can't read small writing if I have my other eye shut, otherwise its fine. I can see alright just like anybody else does. Apparently, something can be done when I’m older but it won’t be perfect. I’m expecting this to be a bit of a problem, so I’m just wondering if anyone knows any better?

Thanks.

SinBin
23rd Mar 2008, 16:29
Actually airlines mainly look at what you've done in your life, what sort of person you are and whether you can fly their aircraft safely with potential to be a future skipper. I have a degree in Aerospace Engineering which I'm afraid to say didn't get me the job on the Airbus. Most of the captains I fly with have had varied careers from long distance lorry drivers to scaffolders to plumbers to ex cabin crew. What A levels you have don't really matter all that much. The main qualification is the fATPL that they are interested in. Also I know many pilots who wear glasses. Get a class 1 medical from the CAA at Gatwick before you do absolutely anything else!

My advice is follow an enjoyable career for a few years gaining a life experience that can fund your training. Go and talk to the schools too.

Good luck!:cool: