PDA

View Full Version : lapsed hours?

richmanpoorman
22nd Mar 2008, 10:47
I've recently taken up flying again after a break of 6 years. Previously I started a PPL as a hobby but posponed it due to financial reasons. I've now taken up the modular route to an aviation career but and my instructor says my previous hours will not count towards the PPL minimum hours.

can anyone point me in the right direction to confirm this, and can it be counted towards minimum hours for CPL training? :confused:

any help would be appreciated.

RP

SkyCamMK
22nd Mar 2008, 10:53
IMHO approved training is approved training. However you may have forgotten so much in 6 years that effectively they are "nearly" worthless. You did not say how many or whether you were solo qualified. A new school will likely want to give you their standard course. The only use these hours may be in this case is for the JAA PPL if you can show that you still have the skills you learned in your JAA approved training during a flight assessment. Theory exams if taken will need to be done from scratch. If you write to FCL at CAA they will give you a written assessment of what is required. After 5 years things are less valuable in training terms than before. Good luck...

Keygrip
22nd Mar 2008, 12:06
I completed 9 1/2 hours of flight training towards a PPL in early 1973. I then stopped flying, for various reasons, and started again in March 1983 - ten years later.

6 hours later (15 1/2 total) I was sent on my first solo.

Completed the whole thing is 42 hours - including the ten year break.

True - *some* exercises have a "shelf life" and may expire, but "hours" don't.

Deano777
22nd Mar 2008, 12:24
Check your PMs richman

richmanpoorman
22nd Mar 2008, 14:35
Thanks for your replies. It's much appreciated.

I'm glad to hear that there's no shelf life on hours. I do understand that exams/skills will need to be re-taken/re-learned but I'm glad that I can count previous hours to the hour building phase (if not the PPL itself).

It's only about 20 hours, 10 of which are solo, but on a tight budget, it represents a decent saving, rather than having to pay for those hours again!

Just to avoid any misunderstanding, I'm not critical of the instructors advice. Lots of instructors are only part-time, with big commitmments to their 'proper' jobs, so I don't expect them to be 100% knowledgeable on the ins & outs of licensing requirements.

Deano
Cheers for PM. Will get a PM back to you shortly.

RP