PDA

View Full Version : Telegraph Armed Forces Day Petition.

Pure Pursuit
22nd Mar 2008, 08:49
A little self indulgent perhaps however, I think we should all be signing this...

www.telegraph.co.uk/armedforcesday (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/armedforcesday)

Some very positive comments from civvy street on there.:ok:

Al R
22nd Mar 2008, 10:34
Not for me I'm afraid.

November Sunday is now seen in a more softer light and a Sunday for a day of reflection is what I'd go for. No one likes being put on a plinth anyway, and as long as the Military is treated fairly by the g'ment, then there's no greater reason for them to be singled out above and beyond, for instance.. doctors, nurses or medics.

Anyway, the day would either be an excuse for people to simply have a lie in, get p#ssed or veg infront of the telly all of which are fine endeavours but wouldn't be in keeping with the spirit of the thing. Either that, or the local commander would see fit to have some sort of military 'FUN DAY!!' where (as Quentin Davies has suggested) military camps would be opened up to allow civvies to use facilities such as assault courses.

None of the above would be in keeping with the ethos which Armastice Day already has achieved. It has established a note of sobriety and reflection that would not be gained by simply introducing just another day off, or another commercially expoloitable day. Especially one by a g'ment seeking to bribe ots way out of a corner, by pouring soothing balm on waters that are troubled only because of its criminal negligence and staggering incompetence anyway.

mutleyfour
23rd Mar 2008, 06:56
I have to agree with Al R.

Rememberance day is the day we get to share our thoughts with those lost and those left behind and that should suffice.

Beatriz Fontana
23rd Mar 2008, 09:22
Spot on, Al R. :D

BEagle
23rd Mar 2008, 09:41
It seems that Swiss Des is in favour of an 'Armed Forces Day'. Presumably so that he can fit at least one day for the Armed Forces into his part time schedule?

I'm against having a specific 'Armed Forces Day' - because there should be 24/7 365.25 days support per annum. Not just on one day - on all of them.

Al R is correct in his appraisal of this dreadful mis-government; I would hate either Remembrance Sunday or 11 November to be meddled with by The Brown(e) Brothers. Better public support generally is the way ahead, not just on one single day chosen by the Stalinists of NuLabor.

highcirrus
23rd Mar 2008, 21:29
BEagle

Precisely so.

dallas
24th Mar 2008, 07:14
Agreed again with Al R - another BH would just mean lagered-up twats filling pubs, a run on Homebase and, almost certainly, some form of ill-thought out duty for servicemen; not that I'm against the latter for the right reasons, but I sense it would be manipulated into a recruitment drive, as well as undermining the value of Remembrance Day.

As I've said before, the way into the public's heart, rightly or wrongly, is to do more Kemp-esque TV - showing people the end product and allowing them to relate to the real people doing the fighting. Of course UK Det Al Qaeda still won't be won over, but many of Britain's aforementioned lager-swillers will, along with more minorities (non-lager swillers).

The government needs to know who they're fighting, be it in Afghanistan, Iraq or the High St.

Zoom
24th Mar 2008, 14:22
Agree with everything said so far, with the exception of what PP wrote. The idea is just too patronising.

Pure Pursuit
24th Mar 2008, 18:09
Hmmm,

how about lookng at the big picture guys? We have no right as to choose how appreciation is passed our way, it is up to the general public to decide.

The Daily Telegraph is at least trying to raise awareness of the need for the public to support the Armed Forces & although I fully understand the reluctance to support it, I do feel that the Telegraph deserves some credit for its effort.

The comments under the petition are very positive and, if nothing else, the process is keeping the Armed Forces in the public eye for the right reasons. I have no doubt that the guys running the it are under no illusion that an Armed Forces Day will not happen, they're simply making some noise on our behalf.

spheroid
24th Mar 2008, 18:22
No, No, No.... what an uterrly dreadful idea. What would happen on "Armed Forces" Day ? Would the shops be closed? Does it mean an extra days pay for us all? Do we get the day off?

An armed forces day sounds like we all have to get dressed up in our best bib and tuckers and then march through the main street of town whilst being watched by one man and his dog.

If an Armed forces day involves free beer, dancing girls and a day off then count me in.....otherwise it sounds like it is only going to cause more pain and grief.

Chugalug2
24th Mar 2008, 18:36
I stand full square with Al R and BEagle on this, awareness of the Armed Forces needs to start in the classroom, continue in the outside world and be celebrated in the media, especially TV. So all we have to get on board are the NUT, Harrods and the BBC! Should be a doddle. In the meantime run 'Ross Kemp in Afghanistan' on Channel 4 please. I was against 'Veterans Day', and I supposedly am a veteran. As Al says the only day, or days, should be for Remembrance, the rest should be common knowledge.

Pure Pursuit
24th Mar 2008, 19:07
Not disputing anything Al R has said, it was a good post. I was just pointing out that people are making an effort to keep us in the spotlight.

All for getting the Kemp series onto council TV, a great idea however, the release of the series onto DVD next month is probably as good as it is going to get. Hopefully, it will sell like hot cakes!:ok:

Chugalug2
24th Mar 2008, 21:41
Not getting at you, Pure Pursuit, but I am most certainly getting at the NUT, the BBC, and Harrods for their anti-forces agendas. The latter is just a shop and can simply be boycotted. The other two confirm my rule to avoid most organisations that rejoice under the tags of National or British, for they usually embrace values not conducive to the good of the Nation or the British. That the one has a stranglehold over the education of our children, and the other is sustained on a compulsory impost even if one avoids their PC output is a situation only too redolent of the quagmire into which we have slipped. No amount of special days will extricate us from that!
PN, I know I'm going to be corrected, but was it not 'Victory at Sea'? Either way great list, when's it on?

NRU74
24th Mar 2008, 22:31
War in the Air
Pontius
What happened to the 'War in the Air ' series - I remember it as being on very late at night on BBC in the fifties, but I've not seen it since ?
Has it been shown recently ?

Pontius Navigator
24th Mar 2008, 22:45
NRU74, they used to show War in the Air at AMTC when we were pre-oxygenating prior to the bang chamber. They found we were hyperventilating. They changed the films to travel films like This Wonderful World :(

Not Long Here
25th Mar 2008, 00:31
Going back a long time ago, there was a series called "All our Yesterdays" presented by Brian Inglis. It basically looked back at events 25 years ago that week.

I remember as a 10 year old being absolutely fascinated by the character of the British people in those late war, early peace years and the support to the UK from the Commonwealth.

How times have changed.

Thelma Viaduct
25th Mar 2008, 00:48
'govern'ment support ??? I personally think it's the 'govern'ment just taking the piss further.

Why should Joe Public give a damn about what the military get up to after what's gone on ???

Breaking the covenant is a two way street, Joe Public expects just and legal wars just as much as Military man Mick.

How about the government show some respect by not sending troops out to BS events that support the US&A's economic global quest for fossil fuels. Just an idea like.

Respects are paid on remembrance day, at least they will be while it's a voluntary act. The 'govern'ment are murdering robbing scum of the earth.

Beatriz Fontana
25th Mar 2008, 08:03
Beware the campaigning newspaper. This is a great story for a newspaper which needs to fill its pages, but think about it. Parades, extra duties for all involved, all sounds a little Soviet to me.

Thinking of barmy left wingism, this gem got my goat this morning:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/7311917.stm

Pontius Navigator
25th Mar 2008, 08:24
I have had more requests for work experience placements this year than we can handle. :)

Thelma Viaduct
25th Mar 2008, 15:23
You'll be able to take your pointy flying machines in to the soviet racetrack display formation and salute chairman brown.

I bet you can't wait. :ok::mad:

seafuryfan
25th Mar 2008, 19:22
If Armed Forces Day is...

A Day off, concessions for me and the family (e.g. free entry to Legoland) = Yes Please

A "Day Off", parading down town for the benefit of young/middle aged gawpers misc and supportive senior citizens = No Thanks