PDA

View Full Version : What's the proper way of setting a Rolex GMT Master II?

SASless
21st Mar 2008, 15:19
It should be simple....the watch has four hands and a moveable bezel. Granted the bezel and GMT hand are a 24 hour base and the regular hands are on a 12 hour base.

Should one set the GMT hand to show GMT with the Bezel set with the index at the 12 o'clock position....or should the Bezel be offset to the time zone one normally resides in and set all the hands from there?

Time to buy one of those self setting Atomic watches!

Gomer Pylot
21st Mar 2008, 15:32
I can't help. I've never even seen a Rolex up close. I have enough trouble setting my Timex. :}

Wunper
21st Mar 2008, 16:06
http://www.koniaris.com/rolex/

W

jammydonut
21st Mar 2008, 16:31
Use the outer bezel to set time zone difference. Read off the Red hand for local time - or reverse the procedure for GMT on Red hand. You will notice the bezel is in 12 hour sections - Blue for night - Red for day

SASless
21st Mar 2008, 17:37
Whoa Jamms.....my previous bezel had the red and blue....but after it went deep sea diving....the replacement is all black! Does that suggest I am now living in the perpetual Artic Winter or something?

Cyclic Hotline
21st Mar 2008, 17:50
Sounds more like Global warming to me! :eek:

griffothefog
22nd Mar 2008, 04:08
Sas,
That retirement fund wasn't toooo bad after all then :E

parabellum
22nd Mar 2008, 04:50
I've got a GMT Master I, bought in 1978, but I think the setting up is the same. Was told and it seems logical that the bezel should be set so that the red hand reads GMT wherever you are and the main minute and hour hand read local time.

212man
22nd Mar 2008, 11:45
I agree with the last but with the proviso that it's sometimes useful to set the bezel to show local time in another country. You can either set the difference from GMT then use the red hand against the bezel, or set the difference from the local time in your current country and read the hour hand against the bezel.

e,g you are in Florida (GMT+5) and want to keep tabs on Singapore time. Set bezel at +8 and read against the red hand, or set n
bezel at +13 and read against the hour hand.

Best thing is being able to set the local time without stopping the minutes and seconds! :ok:

SASless
22nd Mar 2008, 12:38
Griffo me lad....

I must admit....I am the second owner for this watch.

The jeweler would not say what kind of chap he was beyond suggesting he had been in "pharmacuticals" and had enjoyed an up turn in his business thus allowing the owner to move up to a "Gold" Rolex which matched his "Bling Bling".

Am I right to assume this Chap might be a sales person of some sort?

OH...the retirement package was doing pretty good until I got Luna C and Bush started saying how good the US economy is doing....:{

parabellum
23rd Mar 2008, 04:18
"Am I right to assume this Chap might be a sales person of some sort?"

I think 'Pusher' might be nearer than sales person!

chuks
23rd Mar 2008, 10:38
do it however you like. Working pilots with impending senility set the main thingie on GMT so that we can read the correct time for ATC and use the little 24-hour hand for local time. Other way around and you shall inevitably get mixed up between Local and Zulu, especially if they are only one hour apart as with that place we used to be.

PM me with the price for that thing if you don't mind. Here the damned things are insanely expensive; just a replacement bracelet costs more than I paid for the whole watch back in 1983. I bought my first one in Hong Kong in 1968 for $150!