PDA

View Full Version : Airspace Congestion

estepo
20th Mar 2008, 15:31
With controller workload seeming to make it more and more difficult for them to warn of conflicting traffic under an FIS (particularly in the south of England), I'm wondering what other tactics pilots employ for traffic avoidance.

I try to fly at odd heights, but are there any other suggestions for consideration when flying in increasingly congested airspace?

ShyTorque
20th Mar 2008, 16:34
Firstly, I try to keep a very good lookout. I use the TCAS to help me do so. I transit through controlled airspace rather than around, in circumstances where I think it is best to avoid Class G choke points. Then I look out some more. :8

Bravo73
20th Mar 2008, 17:14
estepo,

There was a thread recently on the Private forum about Collision Avoidance (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=314140). Although it concentrates on 'mini-TCAS' systems (which are recommended), it also has a few other suggestions (alongside 'keeping a good lookout' and use mode C/S.)

One of them is to fit high intensity strobe lights (ie more than just the standard red anti-col.) They might not improve your lookout but they might well help someone who's looking out for you.

Edited to add: Am I right in thinking that you own and fly a Gazelle, estepo? Another trick is to paint one of the blades in a contrast colour to the other blades (with approved paint on all 3 blades, obviously!) This makes for a very visually distinctive rotor disc from above.

PS I'm guessing that you're already aware that under an FIS, the controller is actually under no obligation to pass you traffic information. ;) The fact that we in the UK often receive a sort of RIS service whilst under FIS is convenient for us, but often frustrating for some of the controllers.

HTH

A.Agincourt
20th Mar 2008, 18:57
I plan the route - memorise - note nav detail on my pad and try to achieve a minimum of 90+ time eyes outside the cockpit.

Best wishes

Flying Bull
20th Mar 2008, 22:09
Hi all,
the landing light on - is also an eyecatcher for the guy looking out for you.
Birds also tend see you earlier and have a chance to avoid you ;-)
High intensity strobes and TAS/TCAS are very very useful!
Greetings Flying Bull

estepo
21st Mar 2008, 10:16
Hi Bravo 73

Doh! I didn't spot that thread on Collision Avoidance - sorry.

Yes, I do have a Gazelle, and fortunately, it's fitted with high intensity strobes. I've always appreciated that an FIS is my responsibility, but as often as not, certainly in the south anyway, it's all that's available due to height restrictions. In the last few years, and on a few too many occasions under an FIS, I've become increasingly aware that controllers don't have the time to warn you of traffic which is clearly a little too close for comfort.

I'll go for TCAS, try the landing light, and will run the blade idea past the engineers.

I'll also try not to blink!

ShyTorque
21st Mar 2008, 10:31
I've become increasingly aware that controllers don't have the time to warn you of traffic which is clearly a little too close for comfort.

Worth remembering that a controller giving a FIS is under no obligation to give any traffic information. They often will, but it's a bonus.

CRAZYBROADSWORD
21st Mar 2008, 12:45
Just a note on congestion it helps if you talk to the right person. It makes me laugh when people call luton for a fis when you can hear how busy they are, the other day the controller told some bloke to call london info if he wanted a fis.

ShyTorque
21st Mar 2008, 13:07
Yes, with Luton, it's always best to listen (and with other units too) but sometimes they sound so busy it's best just not to ask and make other arrangements instead!

No slur on the Luton controllers, they do a very fine job when they can and do their best to accommodate a FIS request. They will sometimes volunteer a RIS when asked for a FIS only. :ok:

Brilliant Stuff
21st Mar 2008, 18:52
When Luton is to busy why not talk to Farnborough Lars North they will keep you clear of anything. I think that is why they got launched last month.

chevvron
22nd Mar 2008, 09:17
I would suggest when flying north of the Heathrow CTR, if your flight does not involve penetration of controlled airspace, use the Farnborough North Sector LARS (132.8). This is provided using the radar from Stansted, so low cover is fairly good all round the Luton and Stansted CTRs; yesterday a guy went to Cheddington (just south of Leighton Buzzard)and I lost him from radar at an altitude of 800ft. The new LARS sectors (the other new one being east/south of City and Gatwick CTAs/CTRs on 123.225) were established to take workload off the approach units at the various airports in controlled airspace, and at the same time help prevent inadvertant penetrations of controlled airspace, and they're now open (staff availability permitting) from 0800 to 2000 local time - 0700 - 1900 UTC from Sun 30th March.
Traditionally Farnborough always tries to identify all traffic (many units providing FIS will not even attempt to identify FIS traffic), subsequently providing information (workload permitting) on obvious conflictions to FIS traffic, as well as providing RIS on request.
Farnborough has been provided with extra radar 'feeds' for these services; as well as Stansted 10cm, the Debden 23 cm is available as an alternative, and for LARS East, Pease Pottage (just south of Gatwick) 23cm and Heathrow 10 and 23cm radars are available, the Pease is especially good off the south coast and in the vicinity of Mayfield VOR.

A.Agincourt
22nd Mar 2008, 09:27
Chevvron - thank you, very useful information.

Best Wishes

007helicopter
22nd Mar 2008, 09:43
Since flying with skywatch which shows other traffic which is transponding it has certainly given me an appreciation of how hard other aircraft are to see.

It gives you quite an accurate view of exactly where they are and can still take a while to locate.

I also ask passengers to let me know if they see any other aircraft and also fly at odd numbers and pay particular attention with turning points which everyone else is likely to use and with the accuracy of GPS increase the chance of a collision so I will often cut corners at turning points such as VOR's

chevvron
22nd Mar 2008, 09:59
Must also add that if you use London Info, although they do a grand job, don't forget it's manned by FISO's who don't have ready access to radar, (just a monitor to show where '1177s' are) thus if there's no self evident confliction, they won't be able to warn you.

Helinut
22nd Mar 2008, 10:07
TCAS is great, but you need to understand its limitations, like any system. Heading indications are not accurate + or - 60 deg (for the one I use), but at least it gets you looking in the right quadrant.

Its achilles heel is those not wearing a squawk. Those guys come in various shapes and sizes - those who don't have a transponder (like old puddle jumpers) and those who choose to leave them off - like some military operations in my experience anyway. I have heard of a system that flashes the landing lights - does anyone have any experience of such a system?

John Eacott
22nd Mar 2008, 10:23
I have heard of a system that flashes the landing lights - does anyone have any experience of such a system?

"Pulselite" is one such system. Can flash landing lamps alternately or together, and works very well. Flashing landing lamps are mandatory for contract helicopters on fire operations, generally they can be seen significantly greater distances than standard landing lights.

One tip: if the landing lamps are close together, programme them to flash together, not alternately, since at a distance they will merge into one continuous light, and not appear to flash.

Because the lamps don't heat up to normal temperatures in the flashing configuration, they last a lot longer than if they were put on continuously.

Skidkid
24th Mar 2008, 01:53
The United Kingdom Lower Airspace Radar Service (UK LARS) is a very good facility compared with many other parts of the world, where no radar service is available at all.

Why not make Transponders, Mode C, High Intensity Strobes and TCAS mandatory for all aircraft? Meanwhile, the Mark One eyeball (as used by Bleriot and the Wright brothers) does work extremely well.

Gordy
24th Mar 2008, 03:33
99% of pilots like to fly with the "big" needle on the altimeter pointed to the top or bottom of the gauge.......hence I fly with it to the sides---either 250' or 750', (add the 1,000' too). When out in remote areas I fly at 250' AGL---firstly, that's where I am comfortable, and secondly, not too many other people fly that low..I also normally have three firefighters on-board looking for traffic too.

ShyTorque
24th Mar 2008, 09:11
When out in remote areas I fly at 250' AGL

Would be nice to legally fly that low again but not much good in the south of England. Also, most birds live below 500' agl so to some extent one risk is being traded for another.

I aim not to fly directly over radio beacons (except on IR check flights, no excuses then :p )

PlasticCabDriver
24th Mar 2008, 09:29
Notwithstanding the legality issue, 250' is positively dangerous in the UK. That is where the FJ traffic is, if you are in a little white Cessna at 100kts, and he comes up behind at 400kts, he simply will not see you.

estepo
24th Mar 2008, 10:10
Good morning Shy Torque

What about airfield overheads. If you're intending to route as directly as possible A to B, and an overhead is pretty much directly on track, would you tend to route through the overhead or would you prefer to clear it either side of the circuit pattern?

ShyTorque
24th Mar 2008, 10:54
No hard and fast rules on them. I sometimes plan overhead if there is a good reason BUT I use the RT and generally go above the ATZ to give some vertical separation from the overhead joins. For example, Sywell AFIS give a good service and so I speak to them and decide my best action, but some times the "Blades" do aeros in the overhead, including above the limit of the ATZ. If that was the case, I'd obviously steer well clear. This is one occasion when I don't mind going more or less overhead an NDB - an AFIS is available "on site". Having said that, it's always possible that someone is transiting in Class G using the NDB, not talking to Sywell, not using a transponder and not looking out :eek: - so normal "see and be seen" applies as always!

chevvron
24th Mar 2008, 13:52
If you really must penetrate an ATZ, bear in mind with 'tower' you will need to get a positive clearance, whereas with 'information' or 'radio' you will be given traffic information in order for you to assess whether it is safe to proceed without hindering other traffic, bearing in mind circuit altitude and direction. This is why we (LARS) say 'keep your own separation' when you approach an ATZ, it leaves you with the option to avoid laterally or vertically, or to give atsu a call.

estepo
25th Mar 2008, 08:52
Morning Chevvron

What are the approximate height and distance limitations of a RIS?

chevvron
25th Mar 2008, 14:57
In our case, for all three sectors the minimum altitude for RIS is established at 1500ft; as for range, it really depends on how far you are from the primary radar head; roughly speaking we 'lose' 1000ft of low cover for every 10nm you are from the radar, but this is only rule of thumb; for instance I could see someone yesterday on both primary and secondary at Selsey Bill indicating 1000ft, and that's a lot more than 10nm from Pease Pottage radar head. If we don't have primary contact with you, we may limit the service by telling you we cannot inform you of non-transponding conflictions