PDA

View Full Version : Strange "Note" on South Africa approach plates

CSRabe
20th Mar 2008, 00:32
I'm looking for someone to shed some light on a strange approach plate "note" that I saw in South Africa. I flew to Kruger Mpumalanga (FAKN) a couple weeks ago and we shot the NDB DME ILS RWY 05 (11-1). There's a note on the approach plate (note 2) that says, "When approaching PK NDB via 161 through 341 and within 30 degrees of the outbound heading inbound, use phraseology 'Request Procedure Turn approach'". uhhhhh :confused:

Now I'm not an English major, but I have never seen a more confusing, vague note in my aviation career. Good thing we came from Bangkok and I had about 10.5 hours to review it (though I still couldn't make much sense of it). I think I understand what their intent is, but I'd be willing to hear someone else's opinion.

I've noticed many airports throughout South Africa contain this note in similiar form.

Anyone want to shed some light on this? Thanks.

Kennytheking
20th Mar 2008, 05:08
Hi,

It refers to doing a procedure turn approach. This is a procedure that negates entering the pattern by turning outbound. It only applies when you are in a position to do a parallel entry into the pattern and generally outside of a radar environment. Instead of turning around and returning to the fix, you descent outbound on the inbound radial.

There should be a description of the procedure in the ATC section of the Jepp text.

Desperate Wannabe
20th Mar 2008, 20:45
Yep, concur, if you are approaching the beacon between the headings stated, (parallel approach), you can request the procedure turn approach tp save yourself going around the mulberry bush, to get down.

CSRabe
20th Mar 2008, 21:35
Good posts. I appreciate the feedback.

I understand the logic of simply turning to the outbound (231 on the localizer outbound in this case - 051 inbound) if in the region of a parallel entry. Based on U.S. standards, however, a heading of 180, for example, would be within the region described on the note but would more favor a teardrop entry (or even a direct entry) to the hold rathern than a parallel entry. Not sure where you guys are certified, but it maybe I need to look at PANS-OPS procedures to determine if they recommend hold entries that are different than my training.

Furthermore, and here's the real confusion, what's the intent of "...and within 30 degrees of the outbound heading inbound..."?? Why this second limitation?

Don't mean to beat this to a pulp. My pea brain is simply trying to make sure I understand this. Thanks again.

cavortingcheetah
21st Mar 2008, 02:57
:hmm:

One certification at least was obtained at Van Nuys which is in California. Mind you though, a lot of pilots who launch from there seem to end up in a bit of a cleft stick navigationally speaking.
This is of course exactly the point raised by this thirty degree, inbound, outbound quandary. The whole problem started with South African ATC some years ago up in the Northern Transvaal, which is called something rather more unpronounceable now. The air traffic controllers there didn't like having their siesta disturbed by inexperienced, usually young and female, pilots blasting into somewhere like Phalabora and wanting to hone their instrument flying skills by going through the absolute nausea of flying the full non precision approach procedure, usually accompanied with radio drills of a bombastic and self inflatory nature. So they pooled their limited resources and made exhortation to the then DCA, which was situated at the corners of Bosman and Struben streets in Pretoria. The Department of Civil Aviation listened to the representations of these ambassadors from the bundu and accepted their gifts of a goat, a bag of mealies and some beer, known in those days by the prefix K. That's a verboten Arab word meaning unbeliever. Anyway, that's a digression but the point is that DCA listened and with a futuristic eye to a return to Thunder City and the great graveyard of the aviation elephants to be found there, invented a very practical procedure which obviates the necessity to fly the full procedure when inbound on a heading which falls within thirty degrees of the published outbound heading. Instead of suffering the full indignities of a parallel or teardrop, sector one or sector two entry; the pilot may whizz in towards the beacon, execute a procedure turn, usually away from the high ground, and blat down to minima without having to disturb the after lunch slumbers of ATC with silly little position calls which only serve to confirm that the hearing of the controller has not deteriorated due to the buzzing of the mosquitos as he snores away the afternoon.:uhoh:

REAL ORCA
21st Mar 2008, 07:08
:}:}:}:D:ok:

PAXboy
21st Mar 2008, 14:37
SLF here but highly familiar with ZA, having lived in Pretoria and family still there and a nephew RHS SA 73-800s.

Thank you for two fabulous laughs on a cold English day.
1 Kennytheking you descent outbound on the inbound radial. I don't know if I would ever have the courage to descend outbound on the inbound, leave alone whilst throwing a radial ... and that's just on my Chopper bike. :}

2 cavortingcheetah What can I say?? The image of FAPH sprang before my eyes and I could see and hear the mozzies as the Airlink J41 makes it's "procedure turn" ... :zzz:

fly nice
26th Mar 2008, 18:25
I think the use of radar vectors has taken its toll. . . err, except in Africa.

Engine Noise
26th Mar 2008, 20:41
I think the use of radar vectors has taken its toll. . . err, except in Africa.

well i remember we were given radar vectors for ILS 18R Lagos today as usual.:D

fly nice
27th Mar 2008, 14:33
well i remember we were given radar vectors for ILS 18R Lagos today as usual.:D

...and Harare?

...and Lusaka?

...and NDjamena?

...and Nairobi, Dakar, Sal, Blantyre, Lubumbashi......?

...and congratulations to Lagos on the recent installation!:cool:

Oh, congrats on remembering :ok:, but do try to see the point being made next time!

ARENDIII
1st Apr 2008, 10:12
What stuff are you on?:hmm: