PDA

View Full Version : America or Europe training

Pilot gonnabe
19th Mar 2008, 20:37
Hi everyone, I am in the somewhat fortunate position of having the funds to pay fully for an integrated course at oxford or FTE.

My situation is I am 24 and have constantly been told how England is going down hill, full of illegal immigrants, a government that takes everything they can from those that want to work yet provide everything for those that don`t, speeding tickets/fines galore and of course ever increasing living expenses. :ugh:

So....

I have the chance of applying for and gaining a green card for me and my girlfriend as I have family in florida but will have to wait 3-4years before we can go due to the long processing times.

Yes the starting wages are awful as a regional pilot in the US but the jobs are there and any money saved at the moment in sterling will go a long long way out there in the dollar in terms of living expenses and providing a better lifestyle.

I am considering either waiting in the UK another 12-18months then attending flight safety academy in florida on a visa where I will do their two year course which includes a year as an instructor. Then head to the regionals for a job.

OR....

As soon as I can go straight to oxford or FTE, in particular applying for any of there upcoming "sponsorships" (providing I pass the entry exams of course). Then once I have graduated and hopefully gained a job due to their mentored course I was on with an airline I can work a year or two as a first officer all while the green card is taking its time going through. Then do some form of conversion course from JAA to FAA and move to the US.

I would in that instance have several hundered hours on type which I am sure in the US will allow me to get a job, even if it is a regional on the initial poor pay.

Apologies for the long post, it woud be great to hear your opinions and I will be grateful for any advice. :)

PG