PDA

View Full Version : Connections going wrong

wingman863
19th Mar 2008, 19:55
I'm planning to take a trip using flybe to connect in manchester with etihad. While I've built in 2 hrs 15 mins on the outbound leg and just over 3 on the inbound leg, what happens if either flight is late?

In other words if I arrive late as a result of either airline, will they take responsibility in terms of any accomodation required and will the airline with whom I'm connecting (Etihad outbound, flybe inbound) rebook me on another flight without me having to fork out £££?

Usually when I travel I'm not travelling between airlines if connections are required or if they are it's not my responsibility to fork out the cash so I'm being extra careful.

Many thanks for any help.

mmeteesside
19th Mar 2008, 20:00
As far as I know, unless its on one booking all the way through then neither airline will take responsibility and rebooking on Etihad for the next day may cost you more than when you originally booked (depends what Etihad's policy is as to whether they will just transfer you on the same fare basis or if you need to pay to upgrade to whatever fare basis is left on tomorrow's flight).

Of course neither will be liable for any extra costs incurred such as accomodation.

apaddyinuk
19th Mar 2008, 20:04
mmeteeside is correct,

If you are booking the flights as two separate flights then niether carrier is responsible for you missing the connections. However if you book the ticket as a single booking including bother sectors then it is their responsibility to ensure that you get to your final destination!

wingman863
20th Mar 2008, 01:13
Would expedia cover this? Or even most travel insurance policies?

Oneil
20th Mar 2008, 09:00
I beleive I read in here somewhere (search the threads) about flybe being terrible for time keeping and cancelling flights.

You should do a search and read through those

I think this is it

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=314320&highlight=flybe

MrSoft
21st Mar 2008, 09:41
Wingman, this plan would give me the willies.

I wouldn't rely on Flybe for punctuality. I never ever had an ontime flight with them and after 5 or 6 goes thank you and goodnight.

Etihad is a fine experience but when things go wrong, they are highly unlikely to apply much common sense or empathy for your plight. Both observations from bad personal experience.

I should either give myself more margin for error. Alternatively, the Expedia suggestion is worth looking at, as their database seems to have much more flexibility to combine unrelated carriers onto a single ticket. For instance, Expedia once gave me a connecting ticket labelled Virgin "all the way", even though the first leg was non-Virgin. You can't do that on Virgin's own site.

BrummyGit
21st Mar 2008, 10:47
I use Flybe regularly from BHX and whilst 1 year ago they were awful for punctuality and cancellations, these days they are pretty good. It's been ages since I had a cancellation or delayed arrival of more than 30 minutes. I would say 9 out of 10 flights I take are now on time.

Of course you can never tell what will happen on the day with any carrier (for example BA always end up cancelling lots of shorthaul at LHR when someone jumps the fence etc), but if things go wrong I wouldn't bank on Flybe customer services being much help.

jojo82
21st Mar 2008, 18:21
does etihad have a code share with anyone? i know Qatar have a code share with Bmi and thinking maybe that would be a better option for peace of mind as a through ticket if Qatar go to your final destination???
Flybe are not the most realiable operator, but are much better these days then days gone, but it only takes one broken aircraft/weather/slot delays/crew sickness to mess your shedule up completley.
Depending how you book your ticket, if seperate, then you will have to land and reclaim your baggage to then recheck in for your Etihad flight, if the booking was a through one with all connections included on the same ticket, your bag should be through checked to your final destination............should be is the word!!!!!!! doesnt always work that way thou with flybe im afraid. Also flybe charge to check in a bag, if you are over THEIR weight allowence, reguardless if you are travelling onwards with another carrier with a different weight allowence, then excess baggage charges do apply.
I would leave a minimum of 2 and half hours inbetween flights, bearing in mind too Eithad checkin closes one hour prior to departure. (at manchester anyway) goodluck! JJ

Dan Air 87
21st Mar 2008, 18:30
Connecting flights sometimes do go wrong and though you may on paper have enough time I would not take any chances. If there is no alternative then you can help yourself by:
- Carrying your valuables and essentials in your cabin baggage (incl 1 change of clothes and your medication) so you are not stuck if your bags go walkies.
- Label your baggage with your name, address and contact number inside. - Make your baggage easily identifiable with coloured socks etc on the handles.
-When you check in with Flybe make sure you tell them of your connections.
With a bit of luck this will help you...

lexxity
21st Mar 2008, 20:42
Also flybe charge to check in a bag, if you are over THEIR weight allowence, reguardless if you are travelling onwards with another carrier with a different weight allowence, then excess baggage charges do apply.

They can't do that as the higher allowance always applies on a through ticket, IATA would be interested to hear that.

Final 3 Greens
21st Mar 2008, 21:26
Lexx

IIRC the OP is not travelling on a through ticket, but two different ones.

jojo82
24th Mar 2008, 17:07
just found out that etihad code share with bmi, if bmi connect from your local airport then that will proberly be the best option for you for peace of mind. :cool: