PDA

View Full Version : Runway use at major airfields

CJ1234
19th Mar 2008, 16:00
As a non-pilot, I have been told that at PARIS CDG, they use, for example, 09R for landing and takeoff, despite the fact they have 09L too.

I just wondered if pilots operating in this airport find this incredibly irritating, and why on earth don't they use one for takeoff and one for landing (such as the system at Heathrow), or whether that is a stupid, naive suggestion.

I also wondered how they operate at Frankfurt - is it one runway for landing and one for takeoff (as I would imagine - those Germans are wonderfully efficient), or do they use one runway for everything (despite the fact that Frankfurt is extraordinarily busy)

Cheers
:cool:

Whispering Giant
19th Mar 2008, 16:20
Having operated into CDG numerous times, when there on easterlies what tend to do is for landing traffic to land to land on 09L or 08R (the outer runways) and departing traffic to take off from 09R or 08L (the inner runways) and likewise when they are on westerlies - Landing traffic lands on the outer runways and departing traffic take's off from the inner runways. The only exception to this is when they are doing maint or resurfacing on one of the runways.

brgds
W.G

Sky Wave
19th Mar 2008, 17:10
Agree with whispering giant. CDG use the shorter outer runways for landing and longer inner runways for take off.

CJ1234 you've been misinformed,

SW