PDA

View Full Version : ATC Civilian Instructors

XX621
19th Mar 2008, 12:39
Hi
At school I was in the ATC, then UAS, then PPL for 12 years. Am now doing the CPL theory.

Been thinking, I would like to put something back into the system and contribute to an ATC unit, for example, in some way.

Can anyone make any suggestions as to how I would go about doing this? (ringing up the local ATC CO and saying "how can I help?" seems a bit crass - possibly inappropriate?).

Thanks.

Boxer42
19th Mar 2008, 12:45
I'm a CI and that's what I did, sort of!

My son is on the squadron and after getting involved in varous activities I offered my help more formally as a CI. The boss was quite happy to take me on.

We have had other CI's join simply by ringing the boss up and coming along for a visit and a chat, don't see why you can't do the same, you won't regret it.

biggles111
19th Mar 2008, 13:31
Try the Air cadet Website and get your local Wing HQ details. However better to talk to someone who is in the wing, as there are, as with everything Good Squadrons and Bad Squadrons.

PM me if you want any more info...

airborne_artist
19th Mar 2008, 13:33
ringing up the local ATC CO and saying "how can I help?" seems a bit crass

Far from it - find the Wing HQ from here (http://192.5.30.122/aircadets/map_test.htm) and call them - they will know where you will be most needed.

teeteringhead
19th Mar 2008, 13:40
XX621 (now G-CBEF I perceive...)

There are three sorts of adult volunteers who assist the ATC:

Civilian Instructors (CIs), Adult SNCOs and VR(T) Officers.

One of the essential differences is that uniformed staff are paid (up to 28 days per year), while CIs are not. As a quid pro quo uniformed staff have a (fairly gentle) minimum monthly commitment of 12 hours.

I'll try and link to soem useful web addresses for you, or if you PM me with your location, I could give you contact details for your nearest ATC Wing HQ (there are 36 in the UK), which might be a better starting point than a squadron, if nothing else they are manned by permanent staff...

Edited to add: try the Air Cadet Website here (http://www.aircadets.org/)and follow the "Adult Recruitment" link.

Note to Mods - this concerns recruitment of volunteers and is not commercial

RAFEmployee
19th Mar 2008, 14:04
where are you from? I know a squadron that could do with a CI.

XX621
19th Mar 2008, 14:05
Thanks all. Have used the contact page of my local ATC sqn, and also completed the online form on the main website.

NorthernSID
19th Mar 2008, 19:18
Bit of a shame some numpties voted this thread as terrible!!

Whilst not at the cutting edge of threads, it seems quite a reasonable place for an aviation minded individual to ask a 'military related' question

Wonder how many RAF personnel started via their local ATC - quite a few from my experience

Don't knock a well intentioned enquiry about a decent organization

A somewhat disappointed, recently retired Tornado Nav

cornish-stormrider
20th Mar 2008, 13:03
I, for my many sins am an ex spacey. I had an absolutely fantastic time and saw a little of the real RAF before they went and changed it. Thanks to those who put up the link, I have emailed for more info and will be offering my skills.......

TommyOv
20th Mar 2008, 13:20
Have you thought about joining your local VGS as a Civilian Gliding Instructor? As a PPL you'd be welcomed with open arms and you'd get to take cadets up on weekends and teach them how to fly either conventional gliders (Vikings) or motor gliders (Vigilants).

PM me if you need any more details

Riskman
20th Mar 2008, 15:42
NorthernSID said

Wonder how many RAF personnel started via their local ATC - quite a few from my experience

Around 50% of commissioned officers are ex-ATC/CCF and I believe the percentage of non-commissioned is higher.

I too am a CI, and in the fortunate position of working with RAF personnel which enables me to keep our cadets aware of current affairs and future developments in the RAF.

For those who don't have the time, opportunity or inclination to get involved with a youth organisation there is one contribution which is always welcome and that is a presentation about your day job.

The "How do you become a Loady/Pilot/Mechanic?" is rightly the AFCO's province but only a Loady can provide a snapshot of what an ALM actually does. The annual Summer Camp programme goes some way to giving cadets a glimpse of the RAF but it is only a glimpse.

A friend did a presentation to our cadets about IR and Optical imagery as used on various ac; you could have heard a pin drop.

Apologies; this went on longer than intended. Put it down to enthusiasm.

RB877
20th Mar 2008, 18:31
XX621,

As a Commanding Officer of an ATC squadron, I for one am always grateful when people pick up the phone and say they want to help out, especially, someone who has current aviation experience and can pass that onto the cadets. This is lacking in many areas of the ATC as many staff do not have either regular forces experience or flying experience.

If you want any further help or advice, then please pm me.

RB

PhoenixDaCat
20th Mar 2008, 20:17
Last year the Army and Navy took more spaceys than the RAF did, with only just over 240ish joining the RAF. However, this year, to March, over 700 have joined the RAF, because IoR have seen the benefits, and have changed the recruitment procedure for Spaceys.

oversteer
23rd Sep 2009, 15:48
Thought I'd bump this rather than start anew

What sort of flying experience (hours) is a VGS unit going to require from a civilian instructor? If I have BGA Instructor rating+NPPL (SLMG) is that sufficient, or is PPL/FI rating required?

WASALOADIE
23rd Sep 2009, 16:20
Go along and speak to them. There are no formal qualifications required as far as I know. They take in CI's and then train them, you would need to conform to their training, regulations and standards. But if you already have experience then the training should come easily. It depends upon which VGS you wish to join, there are self launched and winch launched squadrons.

airborne_artist
23rd Sep 2009, 16:27
You would be best ask the unit closest to you, but my guess is that you are already well-qualified, though that won't prevent you from have to re-learn it the RAF way. I know at least one gliding instructor who has only ever flown with one VGS, first as cadet and now as an FI.

621andy
23rd Sep 2009, 16:56
I'm sure most squadrons(note they're not schools any more:rolleyes:) will welcome you with open arms.

However be prepared to learn a different system of teaching!

When I was a lowly C-Cat, the system was very much about numbers through the machine, to the extent that soaring was discouraged- I was banished to the winch on several occasions for staying up too long:hmm:

I gather things have improved somewhat, but the teaching is very different to a civvy club. It does however cover very thoroughly everything a cadet needs to know to get round a circuit without dinging anything!

Understandably there is a very military slant to the paperwork etc and I suspect there will be background checks to be carried out, bearing in mind you'll be dealing with kids..they even allow girls in now:ooh: :}

But there are good schools and not so good ones...It depends on the CO and the staff. I can recommend one of the VGSs at Hullavington, but I suspect that's a bit far for you to travel.

I look back on my time as a cadet and a CI on a VGS as some of the best times in my life, so can only commend it:ok:

Andy

charliegolf
23rd Sep 2009, 18:22
I looked into this a few years back- ex loadie and ppl. Got a good reception. All training given, on Vigilants in this case.

However, this particular squadron demanded a time committment of every other weekend, both days with no guarantee of any flying.

I didn't take it on- didn't want to muck them about or stand around one weekend in 2.

CG

Oldandgrey
23rd Sep 2009, 20:10
I think it depends on the Sqn OC. On my previous VGS it was at least 3 weekends per month but either Saturday or Sunday. The other advantage to PPL holders that want to join a VGS operating 109B's is that you only have to complete a 5hour conversion then you are able to hold a Grade one rating, compared to 50hrs for someone with no experience. :}

Arclite01
28th Sep 2009, 09:06
I've been a CI on several VGS's

All the comments on this thread have been accurate - don't underestimate the commitment levels required by the VGS. It's quite high - and if you're really involved it takes up evenings and holidays too...............

The winch launch VGS is manpower intensive and hard but rewarding work, the SL VGS is less manpower and more waiting around IMHO but enjoyable because I think more productive in terms of cadet throughput.

621Andy is correct - I'd still highly recommend it - as long as your family and employer are happy with you being out all the time :-0. 8 til 8 not an unusual day in the summer and 8 til dark in the winter..................

Arc

SirLaughalot
8th Nov 2009, 22:41
Is a Class II medical sufficient for instructing on gliders in the ATC, or would a Class I be needed?

sjeh
8th Nov 2009, 23:01
Class 1, or an annual VGS medical at your station Medical Centre.

SirLaughalot
9th Nov 2009, 16:50
Thanks a lot, sjeh! :)