PDA

View Full Version : Westland Scout out of Chewton Glen Hotel

Wigglyamps
19th Mar 2008, 12:28
Hello all, what appears to be a Westland scout is fairly regularly flying out of the Chewton Glen Hotel (on the South Coast near Christchurch UK) and heading off East in the morning and coming back about 17:00, and it does it in some pretty grotty weather so I assume it fully IFR equipped. Just wondered if anyone knew who it belongs to and where it goes. I've no doubt its part of an international drug smuggling ring which I shall have to smash, but just thought I'd ask.

Hover Bovver
19th Mar 2008, 12:33
If you can see it flying, then its not grotty enough too be IFR :), and I dont think they would make a lot of money from importing drugs from the isle of wight:)

ShyTorque
19th Mar 2008, 12:57
so I assume it fully IFR equipped

Hahahaaaaaa! :}

Nice one..... :ok:

AircraftOperations
19th Mar 2008, 16:01
Have spotted it there myself, but it seemed to depart from a site next to the hotel grounds and not atually from the Hotel's own grass area.

Maybe it's owned by a neighbour? Never got the chance to askk the staff myself.

Shawn Coyle
19th Mar 2008, 17:16
Scout? IFR? Not likely- the most tipsy helicopter I've ever flown on the dials, and not something I'd wish on my worst enemy....

nodrama
19th Mar 2008, 17:30
Beaver Aviation maybe?

pulse1
19th Mar 2008, 17:35
During the boating season, I believe that many of the rich participants stay at the Chewton Glen and commute to Cowes by helicopter. It gets quite busy during big events like Cowes Week or the big power boat weekends.

ShyTorque
19th Mar 2008, 18:09
The Scout has a single engine, so it's not allowed to fly under IFR/IMC.

helicopter-redeye
19th Mar 2008, 18:13
Its also a permit machine so no passengers - required aircrew only.

Don't BN on the IoW restore these now? Perhaps its the chief engineer heading off to work to avoid the Cowes Ferry..

h-r;)

tony 1969
19th Mar 2008, 19:56
Its a Britt Norman machine, on its way too and from Bembridge, not sure if i should post owners details on apublic forum though.

ShyTorque
19th Mar 2008, 22:20
But the CAA do, on G-INFO!

Bravo73
19th Mar 2008, 23:11
tony 1969,

Check your PMs.

A.Agincourt
20th Mar 2008, 12:11
ShyTorque: The Scout has a single engine, so it's not allowed to fly under IFR/IMC.

Perhaps it might be capable of flight under IFR in either IMC or VMC but clear of CAS. Assuming the Pilot is capable of course.

Best Wishes

Chopper Doc Junior
20th Mar 2008, 13:39
Scouts were certainly flown IFR in the army during the eighties. I know someone who flew from near shobdon all the way to Edinburgh without seeing the ground after take off until they arrived at the landing site.

ShyTorque
21st Mar 2008, 11:13
Don't get confused by the rules for civilian single engined fixed wing or by military rules for helicopters.

Under civilian regs, these days it has to be a twin unless it's certain Jetranger based at Norwich, used for IFR training under "grandfather rights".
:8

(Actually I think that aircraft may have been retired now).

A.Agincourt
21st Mar 2008, 11:29
Shy Torque - are you saying that you cannot fly IFR outside CAS?

Best Wishes

ShyTorque
21st Mar 2008, 11:54
You can fly in VMC anywhere you like.

Don't worry, I can spot the trick questions, too. ;)

sycamore
21st Mar 2008, 12:02
A.A, ex-mil a/c, f/w and rotary ,operating on a `Permit` are only allowed to operate in VMC; there are other restrictions with regard to overflying b/u areas, no. of crew, no night,and no IMC.However, of course you may fly IFR in VMC, and above Trans.Alt it is only sensible to do so.Personally, I wouldn`t be enthusiastic about flying a Scout IMC ,a Wasp with SAS,maybe... f/w are somewhat better as most are inherently stable anyway,so let`s not ask too many questions on intrepretation !! Syc....

A.Agincourt
21st Mar 2008, 12:45
sycamore: a Wasp with SAS,maybe...

Pussy :p

Best wishes

ShyTorque
21st Mar 2008, 13:01
A.Agincourt, so - I take it you are familar with the requirements of CAP393 regarding minimum equipment (Section 1, schedule 4, pages 12 onwards).

And it was a trick question. :rolleyes:

A.Agincourt
21st Mar 2008, 15:12
ShyTorque: And it was a trick question. :rolleyes:

Precisely, what was the trick question you refer to? I perceive that you think that I was offering you such a thing. In reality I was not. :bored:

Twas a simple question. But no matter.

Best Wishes

ShyTorque
22nd Mar 2008, 00:09
Twas a simple question.

Fair enough; to which I hope you got a simple answer.

Rgds, ShyT.

A.Agincourt
22nd Mar 2008, 09:30
Shy - I did indeed.

Best Wishes

jammydonut
22nd Mar 2008, 09:52
Whoever it is cannot have much taste staying at the Chewton Glen:bored: