PDA

View Full Version : Tokyo or Dubai?

Pilot022008
18th Mar 2008, 14:19
Hi guys
I have an interview coming up with both AVJ and Emirates next month and need to start making up my mind in case I'm lucky enough to get offered both positions .
I'm married with two kids and was thinking that at least in Emirates I can take my family with me, but in Tokyo that would be too expensive. I'm outside a commutable area so I would have to move to Japan. I also couln't find any info on japanese taxes . The contract with PARC mentions "GROSS" salary so I'm guessing there are some taxing involved. Any info ?
I guess this has been asked before but anyway since things change with time ( dollar depreciation, etc), I would appreciate your opinions.

:confused:

Thanks

Tigs2
18th Mar 2008, 14:52
Pilot022008

Good luck with your choice, however

I'm married with two kids and was thinking that at least in Emirates I can take my family with me, but in Tokyo that would be too expensive.

Maybe there is no choice to be made!

As an ex mil pilot that spent 50% of my time away from my family over an extended period of my life, I look back at a relationship left in tatters and come to the conclusion that for money, Queen and Country etc etc, it was just not worth it. nothing was worth it. Separation from your Wife and Kids is just not worth an extra couple of thousand dollars a month (unless your kids aren't bothered!). Get your kids into a good international school in Dubai and they will grow up as Global citizens and less likely to come home one day wearing hoodies. I am sure someone from Emirates/living in Dubai can offer more sound advice. There are always pro's and con's, but if its a choice between money and family, better a slightly poorer Dad than a rich Batchelor.

Just my humble opinion. With my PhD in Hindsight, there would be no choice for me, having been there seen it, done it and made the wrong choice.

Good Luck:ok:

Pilot022008
18th Mar 2008, 15:57
Tigs2
Thanks for the advice. I was kind of thinking that way , but is good to hear it from somebody that's been there already .

Pilot022008 :)

CaptainProp
18th Mar 2008, 17:09
Another way to look at it is; In Emirates you will bring your family to DUB and then it's you off to "see" the rest of the world for perhaps an average 16-18 days a month, while the family is hanging around in DUB.
On the contracts in Japan you make some pretty good money (despite the low $), leave the family at home where they have friends, your wife has a job (?) etc and then you come home for 10 (?) days in a row each month. I think your days off are guaranteed to be rostered in a row so does not really matter where you live, its doable.

As an option if you are looking for something new you could take a look at China, lots of good contracts available now. You can get contracts in Beijing or Shanghai. Different experience in big modern cities, potentially jobs available for your wife, international schools for the kids, still relatively cheap to enjoy "western standard" of living, expanding market with good growth potential over the next 10+ years. Lots of direct entry commands available.

Good luck!

CP

AlfaMike
18th Mar 2008, 17:18
Hi if you want more information check pirep dot org they have lots of info about working/living in Japan. Tax around 25%. PARC was paying for the taxes before, dont know now. Dubai is still cheaper than Japan, about 20% or more depends where you shop. If you go out is about the same, mind you EK pays for utilities and in Japan that is very expensive. Good Luck :ok:

Absolutely
18th Mar 2008, 22:42
Pilot 022......
I have been in AJV/AJX 6 years now. Your family can NOT live in Japan as the company will not arrange a visa for them. So they would have to stay put.
Overnight and accommodation allowances have not been increased in 6 years and so far they have refused to address the alarming exchange rate issues.
PM me if you want more.

Mr. Green
19th Mar 2008, 02:41
Let's not forget AJV/AJX is a contract job afterall. Being married and 2 kids, you are better off securing a permanent job with EK or similar.

ishi59
19th Mar 2008, 03:03
I assume you're being considered for FO position.

It's a no brainer. Emirates all the way.

AJX/AJV are part of ANA, their management couldn't manage a piss-up in a brewery. I know, I've been here for a while.

Their is no way they or the contract company will help with residence for you and your family, the only option is for your wife to get a job in Japan and thereby get residence herself. Living in Japan is like living on another planet, at least Dubai has a cosmopolitan lifestyle, whereas in Japan there is almost no allowance made for non-Japanese people.

Emirates has growth plans which are likely to be achieved and have an awesome route structure. AJX/V cannot attract pilots and those they do attract now are battling on the course, all 6 months of it. The failure rate has been upwards of 50% lately, that is more than 50% of those who join will NOT complete the training and be checked to line.

That should be enough to make you think about it.

I could rant even more but will stop for now.

Maybe some Emirates guys could provide an idea from there.

Good luck

soliloquy
19th Mar 2008, 03:51
I have been looking into living in Japan with AJX.
First AJX may provide a residency card, I emphasis maybe, because it's untested but it has been muted. However that means tax in Japan 25% odd.
The real trouble is schooling, for an x-pats school in Tokyo, the first year fees are around 35k US per child reducing to 25 in subsequent years.
The prospect of putting my kids in a local school is to much to bear.They will not find it easy.
Living in tokyo is about 3.5k per month for rent.Living in Narita is out because, no schools
I figure if we all don't eat for a year I can afford it.

oldhasbeen
19th Mar 2008, 05:52
who is "muting" that AJX will provide residency??.... would imagine it to be a cold day in hell before they do that, ( could be wrong of course!)

soliloquy
19th Mar 2008, 06:08
you could be wrong

Pilot022008
19th Mar 2008, 15:48
I just wanted to say THANKS to all for your help.
Doesn anybody knows what happens to your salary after year 5 ? Assuming everything is ok and get get an offer to renew the contract for another 5 years, What would be your salary at year # 6 ?

Thanks again

Pilot022008

Absolutely
19th Mar 2008, 18:34
From past history your salary just continues as is, be aware there are 3 different pay scales now. In fact 4 if you count AJX and AJV now being different as well.
There were slight yearly increases based on the average CPI increases of Japan, Australia and USA but that has been axed and yearly increases are now fixed at about $150/month extra for Capts.