PDA

View Full Version : OAA/Cabair - do they do a spatial orientation test?

nflyer
17th Mar 2008, 14:56
Does anyone who been on the skils assessment know if they do a spatial orientation type test - not the one with the instruments and the aircraft position but do they do those where you have to rotate a 3d object in space you have to choose the correct response - if u know what i mean???

All replies appreciated thanks!!!:O

captain_rossco
17th Mar 2008, 15:44
If they do it's news new to me! Some of the boys and girls I train with at OAA have trouble coinciding the food on their fork and their mouths meeting in the same place at the same time!
Joking aside I'm not sure this is tested.

Regards
CR

chris-squire
17th Mar 2008, 15:57
Cabair don't really have anything like that in their asessment. The only thing that comes close is a couple of elements of PILAPT with the 'Man Holding the Circles' test. Nothing to worry about though.

betty123
17th Mar 2008, 18:52
At oxford you only have the test where you look at 3 instruments and diagrams of 4 planes placed around a central cross and you just have to chose the plane that matches what the instruments are saying. Just make sure you read the instructions carefully so that you fully understand it.

350Z
17th Mar 2008, 21:53
http://gallery.mac.com/gjgray#100008/COMPASS&bgcolor=black

Hope that helps.

jb2_86_uk
18th Mar 2008, 06:53
nflyer, I would agree chris-squire about the "man holding the circle" thing. Id say that is pretty close to what you describe. As I understand anyway.

You see three chaps holding a red circle or square in each hand. They can be facing you or away from you, and they can be the right way up or upside down. The program will ask you to identify how many of the chaps are holding (example) the square in the left hand.

You will answer either 0, 1, 2 or 3 on the keypad.

There are 3 'rounds' of this test and each round has about 5 questions if memory serves. With each round you have less time to answer, it goes from about 8 seconds to 3 seconds I think. It is very easy to lose your head in this test so stay cool and take the second or two between you being set the criteria for the question, and seeing the three men, to picture all the possible combinations that you are looking for.

I would say (for me anyway) this is probably the hardest element of the PILAPT profile. (reflected in my lowest score, 6/10, for that part).

Dont worry about it though nflyer, go and enjoy the experience. Aptitude is not something you can learn, you either got it or you aint. Good Luck!

JB

EDIT: This information is based on the Cabair Assessment day

350Z
18th Mar 2008, 18:06
Incidentally, can anyone tell me which is correct on my last post? ta

Merritt
19th Mar 2008, 18:09
Looking at the picture, take the easiest instrument first (compass)... Aircraft is heading west hence number 2 is eliminated as it is heading north west.

Next, look at the artificial horizon - it is showing a level decent which also excludes number 2 but also number 4.

this leaves 1 & 3 as options.

finally looking at the RBI - imagine you are in the aircraft. Imagine the 'north' or '0' position on the RBI as pointing towards the aircraft nose as you look at it from inside of the aircraft. The needle will always point towards the beacon. Therefore the answer is number 1.

Steve