PDA

View Full Version : logging hours

hughesyd
16th Mar 2008, 13:37
Maybe been covered before, if so, i cant find it.

Seems i have had conflicting advice and nobody seems to have a clear idea of the answer.

ok so , i do a checkout on a new single engine type. if it takes one hour or 3 hours i still log as the same right?.

Also is it logged as DUEL or PICUS ?. Some say it is defo duel hours as a instructor is present, others say as long as the instructor has not had to intervene in taking over the controls it can be logged as PICUS?.

Discuss!!

Thanks

Shunter
16th Mar 2008, 15:15
If it's an aircraft your SEP rating permits you to fly (ie. not of a complex nature for which you have not received differences training), you are perfectly entitled to log P1. Discuss who is logging P1 with the instructor before the flight. You can log PU/T if you like, but why would you when you can log P1? The checkout is not a legal requirement, usually just a club/school protecting their aircraft. There would be nothing to stop you learning and qualifying entirely on say C152's, then going out and buying a non-complex PA28 and flying it away.

P1/S should only be logged for a successful flight test.

hughesyd
16th Mar 2008, 15:29
thanks for the reply, interesting, its possibly a different case in the US entirely i am thinking.

I have flown 150/152s , 172s, warriors ect no probs. as you say, usually club of flight schools check you out as part of their insurance criteria for a hour minimum.

I flew the liberty xl2 in the states and the instructor wouldnt sign me of untill i had done four hours in the damn thing. to be fair, I hated the aircraft and landing it wasnt great, although i certainly didnt need 4 hours,prob 2. Hence the extra cost of $70 per hour extra for the instructor they were charging me for!!!.

the flight school said these hours were duel, the instructor at no point needed to take control.

im sure these could be logged as PICUS or as you say P1.

captain_rossco
16th Mar 2008, 15:37
Daz,

Give Dara a shout, he might be able to give you an answer if he's not out Geo-caching!

P1 all the way mate, fill yer boots!!!!!!

Rossco

Shunter
16th Mar 2008, 15:50
The states is different. As are many countries. You may need a sign-off per type over there as you do over here for complex training, but in some countries (eg. South Africa), you need a type rating for every aircraft you fly!

With a JAA license you have a CLASS rating, SEP. Providing the aeroplane is not retractable, doesn't have a constant speed prop, isn't pressurised or turbocharged etc, you can legally jump in and go. Whether that's sensible or within your capabilities or not is another matter!

Han 1st Solo
16th Mar 2008, 16:07
As far as the UK is concerned, you can log the hours as P1, providing you are within the 90 day rule for carrying pasengers and the instructor agrees that you are P1, doesn't log the hours and its your name in the tech log. If the instructor logs the hours and its their name in the tech log then its dual, as stated above PICUS can only be logged on a successful flight test.

Hope that clears things up,

regards,

Han.

hughesyd
16th Mar 2008, 16:23
Thanks for the help guys on this one, so many conflicting replys in the past. dont want any falsification i the logbook!!.

Deano777
16th Mar 2008, 17:16
So if the "student" logs P1 what does the instructor log?

Han 1st Solo
16th Mar 2008, 17:40
Presuming that the person flying already has a licence which is what I think we're talking about here, then if said licence holder is logging the time as P1 on the checkout, then the instructor can't log anything, and is just a passenger/safety pilot. Whether the instructor is prepared to do that is upto the individual and what implications regarding the letter of the law that has for renumeration for the instructor I wouldn't like to say!

If its a student, without a licence then its dual. ;)

Han.