PDA

View Full Version : Smoking at Heathrow

MudCrab
15th Mar 2008, 09:29
I have just returned from a trip to the United Kingdom,transitting through Heathrow,and was very suprised to see that they dont have a place for us addicted smokers to have a quiet ciggy...to be honest i was really hanging for one after the flight from Singapore....So do they or dont they have a place for a ciggy?
...I did ask a security fella and he said i had to go back outside the airoprt(say what).As i only had a couple of hours between flights,and not being really sure where outside the airport is,I just hanged out till i got to Glasgow
I plan to travel back through Heathrow again in June,so I hope the situation has changed by then.....
:}

Contacttower
15th Mar 2008, 09:41
I think the reason why there is nowhere to smoke inside Heathrow is that it is illegal to smoke in enclosed public places in the UK.

MudCrab
15th Mar 2008, 09:47
Thanx for your reply Contacttower...Yep I understand about the new laws regarding smoking in enclosed public places.But for example Singapore has an open air smoking spot..
I just thought that an airport of Heathrow's size would have the same.

lexxity
15th Mar 2008, 12:46
Now mudcrab, don't be silly. What would any UK airport give space over to smokers when they can fill that space wth shops. Same at MAN too, so don't transit there.

ZILLI
15th Mar 2008, 14:19
They prefer to fill in the spaces with shops that sell cigarettes, rather then places for you to smoke them! Terminal 5 is no different!

PAXboy
15th Mar 2008, 16:48
I suggest a walk to one of the car parks. Now, I know they have non-smoking signs on the lower levels but if you walk up / take lift to top floor? By the time anyone spots you on the camera and arrives, you will have had your fix. They really should have designated spots.

By the way, I am researching for my brother in law, have you tried the patches on long haul? Do they work? He does not want to make the 11 hrs from JNB to LHR 'cold'.

Thanks.

11Fan
15th Mar 2008, 16:57
PAXboy,

I recommend the nicotine gum. Is helps with the oral fixation as well. I started using the gum while traveling but then realized that since it worked so well, maybe I could actually use it as designed and eventually quit smoking.

Problem is that now I am so addicted to the gum, I may need a few cigarettes a day to get of it.

Also, I wouldn’t recommend the patch. I tried them for a while, but couldn’t keep them lit.

11Fan

Avitor
15th Mar 2008, 17:05
It is a spiteful law, drafted by a spiteful woman. Passed by spiteful MP's.....who have designated smoking areas in Westminster, the only ones.

isi3000
16th Mar 2008, 12:51
Not spiteful :bored:. We understand you smokers are addicted but would just prefer if we didn't have to inhale it too...

G-BPED
16th Mar 2008, 13:09
It is a spiteful law, drafted by a spiteful woman. Passed by spiteful MP's.....who have designated smoking areas in Westminster, the only ones.

So, why don't you become an "spiteful" MP ;)

Then you can smoke away to your hearts content at your designated place in Westminster :}

Shunter
16th Mar 2008, 15:31
All this "we don't want to inhale your smoke" garbage is an utterly bogus excuse which simply doesn't wash any more.

As mentioned, Singapore has Harry's bar up on the roof. Sydney has a large smoking room with an extraction system which makes smoke disappear faster than an Essex girl's pants.

There is absolutely no reason why, given the ventilation and extraction technology which exists today, facilities could not be provided for those who wish to smoke. Strangely enough, most people who smoke have absolutely no desire to inflict it on those who don't. How about a roof garden which requires you to pass through a turnstile magically opened by a £1 coin?

cjhants
16th Mar 2008, 16:00
nowhere to smoke at heathrow?
try the airside toilets, which are full of cigarette buts, despite it being against the law.
mind you it cant be a fire risk as the toilets seem to be full of overflowing water, especially at the southlink offices.
these are a real disgrace, but dont expect any action from the wonderful BAA, who are too busy congratulating themselves on the wonderful sinking T5

richatom
16th Mar 2008, 16:00
There is absolutely no reason why, given the ventilation and extraction technology which exists today, facilities could not be provided for those who wish to smoke. Strangely enough, most people who smoke have absolutely no desire to inflict it on those who don't. How about a roof garden which requires you to pass through a turnstile magically opened by a £1 coin?

I expect that if BAA felt that they could make money out of a smoking area, they would do it. But unless the entry fee was very high I would guess it would not be economically viable for them to set aside otherwise productive space, install the necessary extractor fans, and install some desperado-proof turnstile system to prevent smokers avoiding the entry fee.

Or are you proposing that non-smokers should subsidise your special needs?

FakePilot
16th Mar 2008, 19:20
I think people confuse second hand smoke with smelling a cigarette.

I can understand a smoking ban in someplace where a non-smoker has to stay for a while, like an eating area. Or a smoking area next to a work area.

However, walking by the smoking section and smelling a cigarette - if you think this is going to give you cancer then you should be more concerned about your mental health. And I got bad news for you - you're being exposed to all kinds of things you don't even know about. At least you can smell the cigarette. Now go worry about that.

10secondsurvey
16th Mar 2008, 21:07
Dear BAA,

In your quest to make more money each day from 'retail experiences' rather than from aviation - which is supposed to be the industry you operate in - I believe you may have missed a 'retail experience' opportunity.

To further 'enhance' the overall Heathrow experience, why not allocate some of the open air roof space on the car parks as designated 'open smoking zones'. You could charge a tidy sum, and have a dedicated 'smoking retail' outlet located nearby. Just think of the money.

You could describe this in your advertising, as;

'yet one more Heathrow 'enhancement' brought to you, the passenger, by your friend BAA'.

Marvellous.

SXB
17th Mar 2008, 11:10
I'm sure BAA have already looked into the possibility of charging smokers to use the roof, or somewhere similar, to smoke. BAA never miss an opportunity to fleece their clients (both airlines and passengers) so there is probably a very good reason why thay haven't installed turnstiles to get up onto the roof......

I was at Zurich airport last week and they have an interesting approach to smoking. As far as I can see you can't smoke in the general areas but I was led to a special smoking room by my smoking colleague. Although I wouldn't call the experience pleasant for a non smoker the room was quite plush, nice chairs everywhere and a very powerful ventilation system, they even had plasma tvs on each wall. There are big signs in the room saying "Philip Morris" and "Pall Mall" so I assume the cigarette companies are picking up the bill for providing and maintaining the rooms. I seen this a few times in other airports as well.

Avitor
17th Mar 2008, 11:21
Posts from spiteful, self satisfied non smokers noted. Thankyou. :ok:

jaycee58
19th Mar 2008, 22:38
Johannesburg has the best smoking lounge I've come across. A large, well ventilated room with Internet access, good food and drink at very reasonable prices, TV, connection points for PC's, very polite and helpful staff etc. I've yet to discover a similar facility at that airport for non-smokers!

Phileas Fogg
20th Mar 2008, 01:15
As a smoker I don't want to inhale others pollution thus you must all stop driving your car, travelling by air, whether driver or passenger, and exhaling methane from one's rear end :)

pelagic
20th Mar 2008, 01:45
"As a smoker I don't want to inhale others pollution thus you must all stop driving your car, travelling by air, whether driver or passenger, and exhaling methane from one's rear end"

I take your point about the car/air travel - we do have a choice in this. Just like smoking. However we do not have a choice about the production and exhalation of 'methane from one's rear end'. Sh*t happens.

Therefore, if you choose to smoke anywhere near me, and particularly if its in an area designated as a no-smoking area (ie- immediately outside the exit doors at LHR T3 arrivals - you bstards!! :mad:) then I shall consider myself perfectly entitled to fart as close to your face, or your dinner, as and when I possibly can.

Inhale and Enjoy!

radeng
20th Mar 2008, 14:06
At the entrance to LHR T1, there are lots of smokers. Despite notice saying it's a non smoking area and directing them to a smoking area. On Sunday, March 8, around 1400, one of the offenders smoking in the non smoking area was a BAA man in his full uniform..........

there's one law for BAA and another for the rest. like BAA security....

Shunter
22nd Mar 2008, 16:05
Trying to ban smoking in a public outdoor space? Yeah, right. Good luck with that. That's the thing with stupid rules, everyone ignores them.

Nigerian Expat Outlaw
23rd Mar 2008, 12:54
It's gone crazy. VS have a completely open air roof terrace in their LHR T3 Clubhouse which they've just installed cameras on to catch smokers who sneak up for a quick puff !!

I asked why and they said it's because BAA say there is a fire risk if people throw their butts over the fence. Surely as a comfort to Upper Class passengers VS could install a defence against this ??

NEO

jeanyqua
24th Mar 2008, 19:26
Just thinking as i read this...we fly down from Man to Lgw later this year...with a connection onwards.
As a smoker,it's ages since i didn't fly direct from Man,and before the smoking ban came into effect.
Will we be able to exit the teminal,for half an hour say,and go back through security for our onward flight,...????...(I would imagine we will have our boarding cards for the onwards flight issued to us at manchester).

Shunter
25th Mar 2008, 16:14
jeanyqua,

Yes you will. Gatwick is reasonable for getting in and out of. Just have a good look at the security queue when you go out and do your sums. Just make sure you can get to your gate in plenty of time and build in a little contingency for security delays.

I'm not always bothered about going out for a smoke on layovers, but it's the nanny-state, nazi attitude that pisses me off. When modern technology and design make it almost trivial to create areas for smoking which have no impact on anyone else, a lot of the same old bollocks they trot out just doesn't hold water. Do I expect this for free? No. I'd quite happily pay a reasonable price for use of decent smoking facilities as would I suspect most others.

jeanyqua
25th Mar 2008, 17:32
Thank you for your reply Shunter...:ok: