PDA

View Full Version : Unravelling the mystery of the ATPL exams.......

Greg2041
14th Mar 2008, 19:28
Today, I have signed-up with a well-known ATPL Service provider to study from PPL to ATPL but until I meet with them officially I wondered if any of you can give me any early tips?

Last year, I was given 14 Jeppenson books each containing about 50 million pages from someone who picked them up at auction and promptly died from boredom.

I have also begun to read them and actually, for a newbe, they are very interesting and well-written. That's the good news. The bad news and the big question is how on earth can you guys recall all that information for all the exams??????

Some say that I should just skim-read and then focus on the Italial V.10 Question Bank as this contains 90% of all known questions. Other say "Don't!"

I have been given the Italial Question Bank but does it really contain most of the questions?

SO, if YOU were to do it all again, how would YOU approach the 14 subjects from scratch?

Many thanks!

r44flyer
14th Mar 2008, 19:35
It's a lot to learn, and there are few ways around it. Bristol provide study notes that are considered to be more concise than most others, and it's obvious to see this given they are contained within half the number of folders provided by the likes of Oxford.

Learning the question bank is certainly not the idea, as you won't know the material thoroughly enough, and it is critical to the profession. Use a question bank by all means, but only to supplement your learning.

bfisk
14th Mar 2008, 20:25
I used the Nordian books and found them to be okay. I've had a look-see at some other series as well and they are more or less covering the same material. I did a combination - i read all the books twice and spent a lot of time doing questions. I would have chosen Bristol for the question bank if I had been given the choice again, as opposed to jaaexam.com. A lot of errors in that database, and a lot larger than Bristol (which is not a good thing - simply too many questions!). My course mates that used Bristol questions all say they recognised the majority of exam questions. That's why I needed to (mostly) sit the time out and they were all done in less than a third of the allotted time with the exception of FPL, MB and the like.

Greg2041
14th Mar 2008, 21:24
Sounds like good advice. My plan is to read - do some questions and re-read.

Out of interest, does anyone know how the Italial V10 database compares to the actual exam? The questions look very similar to those on the Bristol database.