PDA

View Full Version : mayday in xxxxx

DougieMac
14th Mar 2008, 14:43
I was listening to my scanner earlier on and heard a mayday ............................

Post edited and rest deleted to avoid any request from Ofcom to forward details of DougieMac

EGBE0523
14th Mar 2008, 14:46
Correct me if I am wrong but I thought that repeating information from a scanner was illegal in the UK?

hellsbrink
14th Mar 2008, 15:14
http://www.ofcom.org.uk/radiocomms/ifi/enforcement/ofw156x

BOAC
15th Mar 2008, 13:48
I have 'revived' this post, deleted by the starter, and left it modified to act as a warning to others who are not aware of the law.

Thanks to EGBE and hellsbrink for their timely advice.

We have a thread here about this if anyone seeks further enlightenment.

Intruder
15th Mar 2008, 14:48
However, if the OP is a pilot and has the associated radio license, it appears he is breaking no law...

kwachon
15th Mar 2008, 15:22
If you read the back of the (UK) Flight Radio Telephony Operator's Licence, it states clearly,

"It is also certified that the holder of this certificate has made a declaration to preserve the secrecy of communications"

oops! :E

Intruder
15th Mar 2008, 20:04
My FCC radio license doesn't have any wording like that...

Besides, how is "secrecy" defined in the UK? How is an unencrypted transmission on a common, published frequency, transmitted to all listeners, deemed to be "secret"?

It is no more a "secret" that I tell my wife I heard a "Mayday" than it is to tell her I heard a landing clearance. AFAIK, same for telling you here on this forum. Further, I have no reason to believe I am breaking any law if I identify the transmitter (Heathrow Tower) or the target receiver (BA123)...

I have also been informed off line that the UK allows the use of the radio license only in the "line of duty." Again, my FCC license has no such restriction. In fact, most (if not all) of the stated restrictions are regarding transmissions, and not reception.

BOAC
15th Mar 2008, 21:43
Going off course! Please continue on the appropriate 'Scanner' thread now.

Intruder can read up on the law in the mother country via Post#3.