PDA

View Full Version : Toughest PPL Subject.....

Flying Squid
14th Mar 2008, 09:01
Hi Guys,

Just been reading an interesting Thread on the Toughest ATPL subjects and thought it would be an idea to see how people got on with the PPL subjects.

I've got 3 PPL papers left to sit (Aircraft Tech, Met & Nav). I didn't choose to do them in any particular order as the idea is to have them done before I start PPL training Monday week so I didn't think it would matter...... However I seem to have left myself with the 3 toughest subjects to finish with (for me anyway). I'm sure all will click when I start studying full time next week as opposed to getting the text books out at 8pm after a long day at work but I would be interested to hear how others got on with their PPL theory. I do realise that there is a PPL forum but I'm looking at it in the context of going onto ATPL's straight after this is done so thought it belonged in here.

Thanks

Flying Squid

99jolegg
14th Mar 2008, 09:05
Nothing is outstandingly difficult but navigation is quite difficult to do well on because the answer you get doesn't always match the CAA's answer :hmm:

Met was challenging. General principles and aircraft knowledge is straightforward for the most part, but there is a lot of information to learn.

Good luck with the exams :ok:

Flying Squid
14th Mar 2008, 13:27
I would agree with that. I think my biggest problem is that I am picking up the text books at 8pm after my mind has taken a hammering from a day of management accounts at work (which I leave today). Aircraft Technical all seems fairly straightforward and common sense but there is quite a bit to take in. Met just seems complicated but I haven't started properly reading up on this yet so I'm sure it will all fall together when I do. Finally Nav seems fairly logical but I want to study that when I start training properly as I rekon it will all become much easier when I've got all the time in the world to look at it with Instructors on tap and actually doing it in practise.

I'm really tring to make an effort not to just rely on the Confuser too much. I'm sure I could learn it off by heart and whilst there may be some merit in that I would prefer to be confident of a solid understanding ready for ATPL's, when the real work begins!

AlphaMale
14th Mar 2008, 13:57
I'm glancing over my OAT CBT's at the moment and like you I have a hard day at the office taking/giving grief. By the time I fight my way through the traffic and get some fuel in my stomach I'm looking at 21:00 before I settle down to some learning.

I'm looking to glance over my 6 CD's and try and get a feel for what the subjects will be about, so far it all seems quite straight forward, I'm getting over 50% in the subjects and that is from going through the CD's just the one time. I'm hoping to average over 90% in the subjects before sitting any exams.

Looking to carry out the PPL in June/July and I'll be booking my Class 1 medical next week for an ASAP appointment.

In what order should I look to sit my exams in? Reason I ask, if I should need some tuition for say Nav I might be best leaving it until last and get some knowledge past on from my instructor.

Would anybody like to put them in order?
· Aircraft General Knowledge and Principles of Flight
· Aviation Law and Operational Procedures
· Flight Performance and Planning
· Human Performance and Limitations
· Meteorology
· Navigation and Radio Aids
· Radio Communications

I've spent most of my time on 'Aviation Law and Operational Procedures' as I think this is the subject I need to pass before going Solo?

blue monday
14th Mar 2008, 14:28
Met is probably the more difficult of them, but TBH with the PPL confuser book you should fly through, the only one i screwed up was the Nav and that was down to a stupid school biy error.

mason
14th Mar 2008, 14:57
I have to say at the time of doing the ppl test were fairly difficult almost as difficult as the ATPLs maybe because at this stage everything is knew to you.But one thing is for sure learn all the subjects inside and out and you will find the ATPLs easier if you decide to go on and do them.
anyway good luck and Navigation is always the hardest:ok:

Leeds1972
14th Mar 2008, 16:49
Just started ppl theory and my first subject, aircraft general and principles of flight. From knowing nothing, really is a lot to take in and hoping by learning the subjects in depth now, that i will have less to do when the ATPL comes along.
I have just invested in the OAA cbt for ppl and finding it much more entertaining than trying to learn from just text books.
How long is it taking you guys to learn a subject??
Also booked my class 1 today, so another little bit of progress made.
Good luck to all fellow students and remember study hard and when you feel like your getting nowhere:ugh:, you always know a little more than you did the day before..:ok:

AlphaMale
14th Mar 2008, 17:03
Leeds, how soon are you able to take the Class 1? i.e. is there a waiting list at the moment? I'm going to phone them Monday to book it ASAP (hopefully a Fri or a Mon).

Thanks

Leeds1972
14th Mar 2008, 17:35
Not sure alpha as booked mine for mid April but they seems quire surprised I wanted to book so far in advance..
Sorry couldn't help more
Telephone number is 01293 573700

Stevob
14th Mar 2008, 17:38
Would anybody like to put them in order?
· Aircraft General Knowledge and Principles of Flight
· Aviation Law and Operational Procedures
· Flight Performance and Planning
· Human Performance and Limitations
· Meteorology
· Navigation and Radio Aids
· Radio Communications

I've spent most of my time on 'Aviation Law and Operational Procedures' as I think this is the subject I need to pass before going Solo?

That's correct alpha, air law must be passed before you can fly solo.

As for the best order of tackling the exams:

Well according to Jeremy Pratt

1. Air law
2. Met
3. Nav
4. Comms
5. Flight performance & planning
6. Aircraft Gen & POF
7. HPL

AlphaMale
14th Mar 2008, 17:44
Thanks Stevo and Leeds :ok:

Philpaz
14th Mar 2008, 20:56
how soon are you able to take the Class 1

Booked mine the friday, did it the following tuesday. Ball ache of a drive from Leeds to Gatwick and back in a day!!

jb2_86_uk
15th Mar 2008, 08:02
I booked my initial class 1 last thursday (7th Match) and could have had it the following tuesday (11th) if I had so wished. but it was an 8am slot and getting to gatwick from sheffield for 8am was hardlly ideal. i had it thursday (13th) instead at 1.45. Passed! woop woop!

JB

acuba 290
15th Mar 2008, 09:08
wenn I arrived to the school, at first day, I have done first 5 exams straight upon arrival (in exactly this order);

Air law
meteo
AGK
Human performance
Flight performance and planning

a week later
communication (as it was no flying weather)

a week later as last one and after having 2 weeks of flying experience and starting to do nav flights:
navigation

Philpaz
15th Mar 2008, 11:02
I booked my initial class 1 last thursday (7th Match) and could have had it the following tuesday (11th) if I had so wished. but it was an 8am slot and getting to gatwick from sheffield for 8am was hardlly ideal. i had it thursday (13th) instead at 1.45. Passed! woop woop!

Thats the slot i took, had to set off from Leeds at half 2 to get there on time!! :(

Ivor_Novello
15th Mar 2008, 11:17
I don't think any of the PPL exams are difficult, but I perhaps remember the one I had to spend a bit more time on was Met. On the other hand some are really easy (Human Perf, Comms) and if you have a little bit of all round aviation knowledge you could probably attempt the test without having opened the book (Not that would be reccommended practice, mind you)

On the other hand the trickiest I found was Nav, for the simple reason that if you get something wrong at the start of your planning it will carry forward and mess up the whole thing, even if your reasoning is right.

acuba 290
15th Mar 2008, 11:54
as i told in other topic, most difficult exam for people, whos english language is not native is human performance, mostl ATPL level, but i remember even with PPL was some problems

Flying Squid
15th Mar 2008, 12:07
Cheers for all the feedback guys. Nice to see some other folks in the same position as me, battling with text books @ 21:00 after a long day in the office!

I sat Air Law & Ops and HPL first, followed by FPP and Comms last weekend. Ive been giving myself about a week per subject on average I guess. I had my last day at work yesterday so can get on with studying properly now. Im hoping things are going to really start moving along theory wise now I can apply a fresh mind to the books each day. I'm going out to Canada next week so am going to save Nav and Met for out there I think but would definitely like to get Aircraft Generl & Principle's of Flight nailed before I go. Its nothing too difficult, just soooo much stuf to take in.

Anyway, good luck guys with whatever exams you're preparing for now!

AlphaMale
15th Mar 2008, 16:38
Ditto the above, a very helpful thread. :ok:

As soon as I have confirmation of the Class 1 medical I'll be looking to sit my exams 2 at a time;

> Aviation Law and Operational Procedures
> Meteorology

> Navigation and Radio Aids
> Communications

> Flight Performance and Planning
> Aircraft (General) and Principles of Flight

> Human Performance and Limitations
> R/T (Practical)

I'm going to glance over all subjects first and then spend 1 week on each subject learning it inside out before sitting the exams like Flying Squid is doing. Still need to get a 'confuser' due to all the hype. :8

Out of curiosity where can I sit the exams? I'm looking to carry out my PPL with Bristol Flying Center but surely I can sit the exams in Cardiff right?

Thanks

Right Touch
15th Mar 2008, 21:18
Sitting the exams in Cardiff would be no problem but you'd proberly have to become a member of the club and pay the required annual fee before sitting them.
ps they used to do an intensive weekend ppl exam study course , might be worth giving them a ring to see if they still do it :ok:

AlphaMale
15th Mar 2008, 21:28
Thanks Right Touch :ok:

I'll give Cardiff a ring on Monday after I book my Class 1 with the CAA. The cost of doing 4 x 100 mile trips to Bristol would probably cost me an arm and a leg. :ouch:

Flying Squid
16th Mar 2008, 12:02
I've been doing 2 at a time without any problems although once I started reading through Aircraft General I made the decision to do that one on it's own just because of the amount to learn. Besides, the weather in Canada will provide some time to study Met & Nav so Im not too worried about it.

As said earlier, it's good to see other people in the same boat.

Alpha Male - Good luck with your Medical and Exams. You'll be fine!

roll_over
17th Mar 2008, 00:16
Nav is definitely the hardest exam, not because the content was particularly difficult, but I had to spend about half the exam searching for the airport and the answers in the paper are just so specific

BEagle
17th Mar 2008, 08:03
Best sequence:

Human Performance first (it's easy and gives you confidence in passing an exam!)
Air Law and Op Procs
RT theory
Do those 3 before you go solo. Next, before your first solo cross-country, get the following 3 under your belt:

Navigation
Flight Perf & Planning
MeteorologyThen, before your Q X-C, pass the RT Practical exam. Finally, during your GH revision before the PPL Skill Test, pass the Aircraft(Technical) exam so that the knowledge will still be in your brain for the Skill Test Examiner's Oral Questions.

AlphaMale
17th Mar 2008, 09:45
I like the sound of that! :ok:

Sounds like good logic in that too.