PDA

View Full Version : Safety in North Africa

Plane-Trouble
14th Mar 2008, 04:52
I couldn't help notice the news the past few days about the kidnappings in North Africa by al-Qaida in Tunisia which I was under the impression was quite safe. I know a lot of you guys are native to the continent - I am from the U.S.. Is it going to get to the point where it is just flat out dangerous for a westerner to visit or work in the Maghreb district of Northern Africa? Al-Qaida has come out and advised all westerners not to visit these countries which suggests to me that this is only going to get worse. This is quite a shame as I was planning taking a trip to Marakesch... I really really hope that these Austrians are going to be ok - quite worried about them.

robert3791
14th Mar 2008, 10:44
Just come and visit marrakech , i am an expat here and have been so for 37 years here . Nothing to worry about ,just come and enjoy . PM me if infos needed .:ok:

Contract Dog
14th Mar 2008, 11:54
How many gun deaths are there each day in the States?:E Dont stress mate, all here is safe

Dog

chuks
14th Mar 2008, 17:57
Different places in different countries have different levels of risk.

You want go New York City all very fine mid-town Manhattan. Central Park at midnight perhaps not so fine. D'oh!

Same for North Africa. Read the travel advisories, listen to local advice, keep your head on a swivel, don't spout nonsense about hot topics, keep mouth shut/eyes, ears open. Common sense really.

I am working out in the desert. Sitting on a camel spider or being stepped on by a camel are about it for risks, but then I don't go on long trips over-land but just stick close to my little guarded camp. I am paid to provide an air ambulance service nights so that they want my little pink booty kept hale and hearty in case of need. Should I argue with that?

chandlers dad
17th Mar 2008, 13:53
Was just in N. Africa and its fine. Keep your eyes open and wits about you and walk around in a group if possible.

CD

oompilot
17th Mar 2008, 14:42
Ostriches!

Contract Dog
17th Mar 2008, 15:14
Only if you have them running free in the back of an old Dac:E

Dog

DRPAM007
17th Mar 2008, 16:47
I believe safety can only be truly measured by proper risk assesment. Though things may appear quite normal at the moment, a gradually escalating situation brings with it increase in risks. I'll advise some measure of vigilance and possibly liaison with embassy staff and expats on location. Get feedback on the current political and social temperature before travelling.
All the best!

LGW Vulture
17th Mar 2008, 18:03
Just spent three and a half weeks out of the last six in Casablanca - the only real danger in Casa I saw was The Black House c/o Hyatt Regency after midnight! :)

Nightrider
17th Mar 2008, 18:04
Living, married and working in the Maghreb, feel much safer than in many other "cultured" places. :}
As for Marrakesh, come and enjoy, as others mentioned here already, don't play the "know all and even better", stay out of political discussions and respect the culture; basically the law as a foreigner everywhere.

As for the Al Quaida, just tell me one place where they are not threatening to be active....:*